DIY 'Paramo'?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I had a look at a Velez Light smock the other day. I liked the look of it and I like the concept, but they're not cheap and even the lightweight material is quite thick.

What is the 'pump layer' made of?

Would a pertex shell over a lightweight inside-out fleece/merino/wicking top have a similar performance, like a Montane/Buffalo or is Paramo much better?

Last edited:

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
The pump liner is like a micro fibre pile, which gets progressively denser the closer it gets to your skin. It is supposed to be 'directional', as it moves moisture in one direction only, keeping you dry, and transporting your sweat away. I have no connection to Paramo other than a satisfied customer, but I can tell you that it works well for me.
I doubt that a wicking top under pertex or similar would have quite the same effect. You would probably be quite comfortable in light to moderate rain, but you would get wet in heavier conditions.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Not only would you need to mimic the pump liner, you'd also have to DWR treat the shell.

Save your pennies and buy the real thing - it works out cheaper in the long run.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
If you like Paramo, can get on with the pocket system of the Velez, then I say buy it. You will get years and years out of it, worksout cheaper in the long run, unless like me you buy more and more Paramo because you "need" it.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Paramo have a 'seconds' shop on eBay. Probably unlikely to get the Velez light on there but often some quality gear for half the retail price. I've dabbled in makeing my own gear but doubt I could match the performance and quality of Paramo and as already stated Paramo gear lasts for years and years.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Another Paramo fan here, costs initially but then my Goretex jacket was £220... sold that after buying the Velez light and haven't really ever considered going back.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I beg to differ with respect to all. Used to be a big Paramo fan : Cascada, Velez x2, Fuera, Taiga, Tiempo, Mountain pull-on x2 etc, but ended up soaking/too hot/shivering once too often, sold the lot and went back to Goretex! Now, a fleece under Goretex - that works. A fleece under Ventile also works.

NS

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Not sure, each to their own with the gear, I know many people run too hot in Paramo gear, I do sometimes but find I don't get uncomfortable wearing it. My experience is totally different to Nonsuch in that I've been cold in wet in Goretex many times usually because for me Goretex isn't breathable enough. However I've not yet got cold in Paramo, damp yes, especially when working hard, but never cold, If I get damp I've just put a microfleece or my Torres on and I stay worm and the gear dries out quite quickly.
Everyone finds gear that works for them and unfortunately unless you can borrow jackets etc to wear it's hard to know what will work for you.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
they do have an oulet shop on ebay, just type in paramo and your size and it all comes up, can get stuff 50% or less than list

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I don't want to contradict the many Paramo fans out there and as Lithril correctly points out above, different things work for different folks. I have never got overheated or damp or wet or chilled in a good Goretex jacket, and the Pro Shell ones are even better. However, I spent a long time trying different things and went through a Ventile phase and a very expensive Paramo phase.
My issues with Paramo are :
- You can't wear it when it's warm and wet because it's too warm
- The proofing fails suddenly, so on a multi-day trip you will suddenly find yourself soaked through and you will stay that way. The solution is to reproof before every trip which is a bit of a chore
- A paramo pump liner jacket relies on body heat to dry out so if you are fairly inactive and its cold and raining (eg in a canoe / sitting around at lunch / sitting with a sprained ankle) you will get chilled - in fact a wet Paramo jacket acts like a wine cooler
- A rucksack will drive moisture back through the back towards you ( some of the top of the range jackets have batons in the back to limit this)
- When you sit /kneel elbow-lean on something wet, moisture will come through and wet and chill you
- The fleece-type mid layers (mountain pullover etc) soak up perspiration / condensation and then stay wet for a long time, unless, again, there is a lot of body heat to dry them out.
- The Taiga fleece, although a very nice garment, isn't even slightly windproof
- They melt round fires (although no more than Goretex etc) as I found while drying to dry out my Velez smock two full days after it had soaked me to the skin on the Great Glen canoe trip
- When they get wet and soggy I think they just don't feel nice to wear
- I just don't think they look right on but that's just me
- They are too expensive, considering they are made of inexpensive materials (no trademarked gore membrane materials and seam taping) and in a low cost, albeit "ethical", labour environment

However I am in the minority and I would say you meet four Paramo fans for every detractor. As I said I was once a big fan. I now wear a single layer ventile smock for rough work around camp and sitting by the fire, and apart from that, a combination of modern wicking base layer, soft-shell jacket and goretex waterproof to keep we warm and dry on the move.

I would say borrow a Paramo jacket and try it extensively in some tough conditions first, if you can.

NS

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE