DIY Hex Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Really very nice, Philster, you have to be very pleased with that project.

Well done.

Would love to see a close up picture of the clip on storm flap too.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Alright, here we go. This picture shows one half of the shelter - using 1.85m wide material you can get a complete half from the width, meaning you only have to sew one seam. On narrower stock you will have to sew more seams. And please note these are the actual final dimensions of each panel - you must add on an allowance for the seams (12mm in my case)

tent tarp sizes2.jpg

Useful tips........to layout you need a large flat area. I used a 2.1m long piece of wood as a trammel to lay out the panels - drill a hole at one end for a pencil or marker. Then measure from the centre of that hole and drill 1.5mm holes at all the necessary dimensions (i.e.1550mm, 1840mm). I marked on the base line of one panel then placed a small nail through the predrilled hole in the piece of wood through the material at a corner and then marked an arc using the pen. I move to the next corner, alter the position of the nail and make a send arc - where the two overlap is the third corner of the triangle. On such large panels this method of marking out is very useful.
Sew the main seam first, then do the bottom edges last. Sew on a reinforcement patch at the peak of the tarp BEFORE sewing the main seam. Otherwise you will need to glue this patch in using seam seam or a suitable adhesive.
To sew the main seam pin it out along the length and then roll up the surplus material and peg it into a manageable bundle so you can concentrate on sewing the seams without worrying about multiple square meters of material flapping about/getting stuck/pulling you off line.
Reinforce the area around the peg outs with either a second layer of material or a second layer of something tougher. Do this before sewing the seams around the bottom edges of the tarp.
The catenary curves along the bottom edge are not totally necessary - you can just sew a straight edge. I made an arc 90mm high at the centres and this made for a happy result. Do a quick google on catenary curves to see if its worth the hassle to you.
You can sew a loop on the front "beak" of the tarp for a guy line or you can just tie the guy line to the pole you are using.

I hope this helps - any questions ask away. I offer this plan to forum members to make their own, not to be copied commercially.
Cheers
Phil

Baelstrom

May 13, 2013
U.K.
Thanks mate. Been thinking of making something along these lines for a long time. You executed it very well. Well done for making available your plans as well.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Superb; the conception, execution and sharing of this is one of the best things on the forum for ages, (and there's some good stuff here!)

Thanks a lot for all of this :)

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
As already said it's a great design - I'll be attempting to make one in the near future with the measurements that you have so kindly posted up for every body to use.

I would have said that there is likely to be a decent market for this though.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Many thanks - glad you like it!
Here's a photo of the tarp with my "storm flap" in place. It is a still a work in progress as I might add velcro to the edges. There is 3mm shock cord going to the corner peg on the open side of the flap. This makes the covered area much bigger and probably fine for two people at a pinch :)

storm.jpg

Cheers
Phil

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
That must increase the floor space quite a bit, I was wondering if I put a double storm flap on it would be big enough for me and the boy, when needed and remove the storm flap when it was just me.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Disco - I'd say yes, two people with no problem if you doubled it up. As it is, if you haver a bivvy bag to cover the feet of the second person then you'll be fine :)

Jack - the material is very nice, strong without being too heavy. It would make a perfect traditional tarp!

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
That is seriously impressive!! The missus has just got a sewing machine and this looks just the ticket!!! Probably the best project I have seen on BCUK - top effort!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
Many thanks - glad you like it!
Here's a photo of the tarp with my "storm flap" in place. It is a still a work in progress as I might add velcro to the edges. There is 3mm shock cord going to the corner peg on the open side of the flap. This makes the covered area much bigger and probably fine for two people at a pinch :)

storm.jpg

Cheers
Phil

I must commend you on a very well thought out design and execution

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE