DIY Hex Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper326

Jun 15, 2009
Newmarket, Suffolk
Well i have been looking to buy a hex tarp, then thought i have an industrial sewing machine, some decent fabric and a most importantly some spare time.
This i'll class as my working prototype.

To make it clear i'm not going to be selling these, this is for my own use.

I'm looking for some feedback on where's best to put some lashing points other than the 6 so far, to be honest i could put loads on but don't want to go OTT. I need to seal the seams, will work on that. Tension on the machine with the fabric on these lengths is an issue, I feel happy so far.
Feedback welcome :)
DSC_0560.jpgDSC_0561.jpgDSC_0563.jpg

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Looks good.
I'd put a tie-out in the middle then mess around with it, setting it up in different ways to see if and where it would benefit from more tie-outs. You could use tarp clips as temporary tie-outs to see where it might be worth putting something more permanent. Playing with a paper model can also be useful.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Not sure what weight fabric yours is but i get a ping tight set up with my superfly using just four corners. It has catenary cut ridge and edges which really allows a tight pitch.

Looking good though goodjob

sapper326

Jun 15, 2009
Newmarket, Suffolk
Thanks for your feedback and kind words.
I'll try the tarp clips, that will be an easy way to test.
The fabric was bought about 5 years ago for another project that i didn't get around to, if i remember correctly i think it's 4oz breathable nylon?
I need to get it strung out in the trees, where it should pull quite tight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE