DIY bush shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Hope things go well on the home front ODG, caravans in Winter can be an acquired taste

:) Cheers Toddy! We're bidding at auction on a building plot, so keep your fingers crossed for us! :)

If we get it, we'll rent a house for the duration of the build; if not, we're in the caravan a bit longer....

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Panduro Hobby sell merino wool, in bags I think although I don't have
the printed catalogue to hand. They seem to be a Scandinavian
company with a UK warehouse and I've ordered stuff from them
before and all went well.

http://www.pandurohobby.co.uk/menu/MenuServlet

I just checked the online catalogue and they sell varying colours of
merino wool in 100g bags for about £8.

Searching 'merino' brings up 36 results as well.

Jo

shizuku

Oct 2, 2005
Assen, The Netherlands
big_swede said:
It's from a local fabric shop, that mostly caters to fashionistas. They don't have any webshop. It comes in black, navy and off-white. I think it's somewhere around £9 per meter, the fabric is about 1.5 meter wide.

But it's thin, to thin really

Do you have an email address of that shop?

Maybe the thin merino fabric is useable for making some t-shirts.

Ernst

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
shizuku said:
Do you have an email address of that shop?

Maybe the thin merino fabric is useable for making some t-shirts.

Ernst

I ended up bying some other woolen fabric which was a bit thicker, kind of like flanel but wool. The "merino" looked to thin and a bit dodgy. So now I have some kind of thick woolen dark green outer fabric and a black soft inner layer. Started making patterns today to. Will see how this ends..

btw I will ask about email address..

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
I have a Swannie bush shirt and I love it! Out and about in the Alps I found that in the Austrian and German Alps they used and indeed still use, a very similar cloth to make mountain clothing. I was told they made it by letting waterfalls beat wool into a felt. They call it Loden so maybe if you look for a supplier of Loden? ;) :)

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Toddy said:
OFF TOPIC
Talking of which, re-enactor's markets that is :) There are people on the forum, from all over the country, coming down for the two on during the last weekend in October.
Is there anyone living in the Coventry/ Ryton area, up for organising a meet up too?

cheers,
Toddy

Im away at a bike rally that weekend :( next time perhaps.... :eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Spikey DaPikey said:
Im away at a bike rally that weekend :( next time perhaps.... :eek:

Ah well, :sigh:
It just seemed a good idea, there'll be group of the Scots BcUK members coming down and it would have been good to meet up, even just in the pub for a blether.

atb,
Toddy

Hi Big Swede,

I'll send you some photos of some of the details of my Swannie if you want a closer look at how one is put together. Mine's a Mosgeil Bush Shirt, with a full length front zip rather than the pull over type, but other than that it's pretty much the same. Haven't used it much yet, but it's a really nice item.

I suppose Swandri will carry on making them in one style or another as it's their signature item I think, but they are having all there garments made in China now, not NZ anymore!

Dropme a line if you want some pics and I'll get snapping.

Cheers for now,
J :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE