DIY bush shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I've have been wanting to try the concept of the swanndri hooded bush shirt for quite a while now, but I have come to the conclusion that I don't wan't to pay so much money for something that I've never tried or even seen in real life (there are no retailers in scandinavia). If I want a varm, sturdy jacket I by a army surplus parka for £15. But the bush shirt seems to have some nice sides to it: it's quiet, it keeps quite warm when moist, it is resistant to damage from fires (my army parkas has gone 'wosh' when they were much needed) and it seems (what I can understand from different reviews) to be quite windproof.

So now I'm thinking about making a bad copy myself! As I understand it seems to be made of thick woolen outer, and a merino wool liner. And according to swanndri they have avoided seams at the shoulder for improved waterresistance. At a glance it doesn't look to tricky. The plan is to impregnate the wool with lanolin or polar proof.

Is there anybody else how have tried (and hopefully not failed miserably)? Or will I just end up looking like a roleplaying nerd?

http://www.swanndri.co.nz/default.aspx?T=2&P=4

SD0103.jpg

shizuku

Oct 2, 2005
Assen, The Netherlands
The pattern shouldn't be that difficult. When i want the make a shirt, jacket or pants i like, that i've seen somewhere, i try to read articles about it, see pictures (if any on the net) and best see them real.
Then you can try first with a old sheet to find out the best pattern and size for you, along the way ad features you like.
What's the most difficult part, is to find the merino wool to work with. I searched and asked almost everywhere, but still haven't found a supplier.
Of course you could make the shirt from some other wool, but that's likely to itch so much you won't even wear it.

Ernst

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
shizuku said:
The pattern shouldn't be that difficult. When i want the make a shirt, jacket or pants i like, that i've seen somewhere, i try to read articles about it, see pictures (if any on the net) and best see them real.
Then you can try first with a old sheet to find out the best pattern and size for you, along the way ad features you like.
What's the most difficult part, is to find the merino wool to work with. I searched and asked almost everywhere, but still haven't found a supplier.
Of course you could make the shirt from some other wool, but that's likely to itch so much you won't even wear it.

Ernst

I think I can get some merino wool, but the kind I get is quite delicate and not suitable for the outer layer, so there I will use some really thick but sturdy wool, that feels like an old army blanket. So hopefully it won't itch unless I wear inside out :)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I made a couple of shirts out of wool blankets from junkshops. One was using a design from Toddy, the other using an unpicked old shirt as a pattern. I got a lesson on using the sewing machine from the wife and I was very pleased with the resuls and use both shirts.
I'd reccomend giving it a go, it was good fun and I plan to try another next time a cheap blanket comes up.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
JohnC said:
I made a couple of shirts out of wool blankets from junkshops. One was using a design from Toddy, the other using an unpicked old shirt as a pattern. I got a lesson on using the sewing machine from the wife and I was very pleased with the resuls and use both shirts.
I'd reccomend giving it a go, it was good fun and I plan to try another next time a cheap blanket comes up.

Toddy being a member of this forum then I guess?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
shizuku said:
Where do you get the merino wool? What color is it? Price? How heavy is it?

It's from a local fabric shop, that mostly caters to fashionistas. They don't have any webshop. It comes in black, navy and off-white. I think it's somewhere around £9 per meter, the fabric is about 1.5 meter wide.

But it's thin, to thin really

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
big_swede, do you know what the weight of the merino is? It's usually identified by a weight factor, i.e. 200gsm for underwear, 400gsm for midlayer, 600gsm for outer...

ODG

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
outdoorgirl said:
big_swede, do you know what the weight of the merino is? It's usually identified by a weight factor, i.e. 200gsm for underwear, 400gsm for midlayer, 600gsm for outer...

ODG

Yeah, I know, I looked for the weight on the paperroll, since I couldn't find any tags, and I was running late for a meeting. But I will go there tomorrow to actually buy something... But I'm a bit suspicious, since it wasn't actually marked merino, that was what the young clerk told me...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it is merino and very fine weight then it's ideal for the lining of a double layered bushshirt, but it'll be very warm :rolleyes: I usually use very fine wool tartan for the insides, mostly because it's what I can get here.

I promise to look out patterns soon, I've already promised to find the leatherwork ones :rolleyes: , but I'm having a five minute cuppa just now in among sorting out stuff for tomorrow's demonstration/workshop.

Bushshirts are simply slightly modified Viking Kirtles. If you can find a basic kirtle pattern you won't go far wrong.....just don't go for the flared hems :D

atb,
Toddy

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I have that shirt in red and black, they are amaising. well worth the money. :)
the outer layer is scratchy, dont think its merrino, there is a lining over the shoulder thats softer.
let me know if i can help anymore.

Mark

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I can get soft flannel for an inner, and felted wool (the cheaper wool you get for £5 a metre at the re-enactors market - you know the stuff Toddy!) which I had thought I might make a bushshirt out of this winter... If I can get proper merino though I may have to look out some better wool for the outer.... :)

ODG

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can get good quality 100% wool Black Watch tartan in Glasgow just now for £5 a metre. Black Watch is the *government* tartan and is quite dark, blues and greens, and muted so it's not screaming at anyone.
Ikea are selling a very good quality wool fabric, only in Navy blue, for £9 a metre at 60" wide.
I can good quality white wool blankets for about £5, but unless you're happy with machine dyes it's a pain to dye them.
The re-enactors stuff (Bernie the Bolt??) is good too, but I lined the last piece I used with green linen. That worked very well. Lots of colours available on wool at the re-enactors markets.

OFF TOPIC
Talking of which, re-enactor's markets that is :) There are people on the forum, from all over the country, coming down for the two on during the last weekend in October.
Is there anyone living in the Coventry/ Ryton area, up for organising a meet up too?

cheers,
Toddy

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Anne Laverick is the main wool supplier at the Ren market, but there are a few others; the linens on the Egyptian man's stall are good too...

£5/m for Black Watch is great! Wish I had the space right now... :(

OFF TOPIC: not sure I'd be able to make Coventry this time; won't know until next week whether we are living in a caravan for an extended period or not, which would severely curtail any sewing plans I might have... :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
outdoorgirl said:
Anne Laverick is the main wool supplier at the Ren market, but there are a few others; the linens on the Egyptian man's stall are good too...

£5/m for Black Watch is great! Wish I had the space right now... :(

OFF TOPIC: not sure I'd be able to make Coventry this time; won't know until next week whether we are living in a caravan for an extended period or not, which would severely curtail any sewing plans I might have... :)

Mhmm. I think Bernie's at the National Living History Fayre one. David Rushworth had a really good Sharpe'e uniform green wool last time I saw him. AL's similar green stuff was a wool mix. There was a wonderful stall with pure wool handwoven cloth too, though, about £20- £30 a metre, and it was narrow ware :cool:

I have friends working at both markets, and as someone totally independant I happily go to both and cherry pick what I want from the best.

Hope things go well on the home front ODG, caravans in Winter can be an acquired taste :rolleyes:

atb,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE