DIY Bridge

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
Can you make a bridge to cross a 20 foot gap if all you have are some 8 foot poles?

Just to make it interesting no fixings or cordage allowed.Also no piers or middle supports

Bridge :werd:

Testing :eek: Testing

This one has 6 sections (I think) I put up 4 or 5 sections alone (with others watching)
got help from one other for the last bit as it was getting rather heavy.

This was at the last Kent meet went back & took pictures on Friday as we had all left our cameras at home.

Mike

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
a) How on earth did you achieve that?? I've never seen anything like it.
b) Could you do it if there was an abyss between one side and the other - ie. can
you 'thread' the bridge over from one side to the other so it can reach the other
side 'by itself'?
c) Is there some scaffolding involved that you've removed before taking the photo?

It's a bit clever :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very clever indeed, I`ve read about that before somewhere, I think it`s called the da vinci bridge if I`m not mistaken.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
that's cool Mike, what sort of weight do you think it would hold, do the poles have to be that length or could the design be made to work with more shorter poles.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Ooh that's very clever Mike :)

It looks like the same principle as constructing a reciprocating roof although

I have no idea how you get the bridge to the other side without crossing it?

Does it require people on both sides?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
b) Could you do it if there was an abyss between one side and the other - ie. can
you 'thread' the bridge over from one side to the other so it can reach the other
side 'by itself'?

Though this is a slight aside, I always used to wonder how the Royal Engineers would put a bridge across a gap when they couldn't get to the other side - until I joined them (back in the early '80s). And when you see the answer, it's obvious.

Although this is perhaps over-simplifying, you build a lightweight bridge that is twice as long as the gap you want to cross (or you heap counterweight on your end of the bridge to stop it dropping into the gap) and you then push the bridge out across the gap on rollers placed on your side of the gap. The weight on your end of the bridge stops it falling into the gap. Once the 'nose' has landed on the far side, you take some more rollers across for the far end, build a bit more 'strong bridge' at your end, push it across a bit, dismantle the front of the 'nose' and continue doing this until you have the full strength bridge all the way across the gap.

If you have a look on Wikipedia for medium girder bridge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Girder_Bridge you will see, among other things, a photo of the lightweight 'launching nose'. The old Bailey Bridge (and its derivative the Heavy Girder Bridge) used a similar method for 'launching' the bridge, but rather than having special components for the 'nose', the lightweight front of the bridge was constructed using standard bridge panels.

If you liked Meccano, you would have loved the army's girder bridges.

Geoff

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
I have posted some photos of my model of the bridge
Here

to answer some questions

No scaffolding was used
You have to enter the ditch/river to construct
I have seen a diagram of building it with thin long planks underneath
the idea it to pull the completed bridge across the ditch
sounds like a good one for the bushmoot

No reason you cannot use this for a roof support

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
We managed to get our Scouts to build one. Cheated a bit and lashed two 'ladder' frames for the ends and not as many sections.

Yours is very impressive, I've seen drawings of them plenty of times but very few photos!

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
S'rry, back again. Just noticed the other gallery pictures. When I run pioneering activities I like to make a model as it gives a much clearer idea to the group what is required. In preparation I built a model with some 300mm by 25-30mm diameter hazel and that was strong enough to stand on. Have you loaded up your model to it starts to creak?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
a while ago i saw a self supporting bridge of a similar idea built on telly,i think it was in an asian country,it used over 100 bamboo poles and again no lashings!

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I've helped someone build a rope bridge before which was fun -can't find any pics of it, but having looked online it was something very similar to this one:

http://glenn.cockwell.com/scouting/scouting_rope_bridge.html

Only downside is you need to carry a lot of rope, whereas the Da Vinci design can be made from locally sourced materials.

Does anyone else have any plans or designs for temporary/bushcraft bridges?

StormCrow

Apr 17, 2007
Connecticut, USA
Hello,

someone sad something about Chinese.

I know that the Rainbow bridge is built that way. except bigger.

In my physics class we had a bridge contest with little balsa wood bridges and I built that one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE