DIY basic flint and steel.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
2nd (or 23rd whatever) about not annealing. I've tried sequential hardening and annealing as I would a knife blade but they don't through sparks. I get the striker I've made as hot as possible (very red but not sparking) and quench in water. All buyers and users have said how many sparks my strikers throw ;). When I have just water quenched the striking edge and held the bit you hold out of the water until the whole thing goes cold, the sparks are much less bright and fewer
I make my charcloth from old t-shirts or old jeans. Anything that is 100% cotton. The 1st stuff I made didn't work. I later found out that the "100% cotton" shirts I used weren't so they went to a melted blob in the pot.
I have used my barbeque as the fire when I needed some as wasn't going to the woods to make some on a fire.
Good looking set JonE. Did you make the bag as well?
BTW always make sure you have a sharp edge and do glancing not smashing blows.
I'll have to have a try with cotton wool balls as I've always used a ferro rod with them :)

Last edited:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I found shaping the edge of the file on the grinder a bit helped. If you round off the striking edge slightly so that it has a radius roughly equal to the distance from the face to your elbow, it seems to help with the striking action.

Z

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Thanks Whittler Kev yes I made the pouch a couple of weeks ago and have been looking for something to put in it since.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE