Ditty Box - Project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've just got back from TORM (The Original Re-enactors Market) and picked up this interesting box while I was there.

Ditty-Box-1.jpg

It was labelled as a "Captains Ditty Box" of the stall which I think may be speculative.

Ditty-Box-2.jpg

Although the design seems to be like a sailors Ditty Box, it seems a little too large ( Space was limited on board and such things were regulated.)

Ditty-Box-3.jpg

Having said that, it is going to serve exactly that purpose for me.

It has some age and character about it. It is pegged and pinned rather than dovetailed. The fittings are basic but it seems well constructed with details that speak of care and attention.

The nice thing for me is that it is not a "fine" piece of furniture which means that I will not mind tinkering with it a bit.

I haven't decided exactly how I will modify it yet but I already have a few ideas. Watch this space...

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You come across far too many pieces masquerading as 'fine' furniture and joinery; I find it very refreshing to see things that are unashamedly utilitarian and made to adequately suit a purpose.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Looks like a good blank canvas, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
If you think it is too large to be a sailor's ditty box, presumably a captain would have certain privileges​, one being allowed more space for a larger box to keep all his ditties in. Just a thought.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think that was the same thought the seller had.

I suspect that if a Captain was having a special box made it would have been more profesionally done. This looks self made.

The handles on the side look too bulky for space concious applications as well.

I could be wrong but I suspect this was something made in the "style of" rather than the actual thing.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Could it be a re-make of a travellers writing / painting box?

Going by the orange paint on the inside of the lid.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
That has a very nice part mitre part lap joint arrangement on the corner joints which is actually quite hard to do with hand tools as neatly as those look and pegging the joints that well also alludes to a skilled craftsman. The sort of craftsman that would find work as a ship's carpenter who would make items for the crew when not employed on fixing any number of shipboard issues. So whether a genuine sailors ditty box or a later facsimile it is a lovely piece of work and I am glad you are looking after it now.

Rob.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Having seen it person I thought of many ideas and was bouncing them off Wayland who had already thought about them. It really was an unusual box and very intriguing box and I am looking forward to what happens to it.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
It looks like the kind of thing my grandfather would have been required to do as an apprentice shipwright in Portsmouth sometime around the turn of the 19th/20th centuries. So perhaps a test piece to demonstrate mastery of fitting together all those elements. It must have required a lot of careful measuring and cutting. I would suggest that its apparent uniqueness supports my view.

Like the other, i look forward to seeing more of it.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
First Modification.

Ditty-Box-4.jpg

The corners, particularly on the bottom, have taken a little damage over the years so I decided to reinforce them with some brass bolsters.

I patinated them a bit to blend with the character of the box.

Ditty-Box-5.jpg

It needed a lock of some kind and I found a nice old brass single lever padlock in amongst my accumulated nick nacks at home.

Ditty-Box-6.jpg

I've also started to assemble some of the contents that I want to store in the box. ( These will no doubt change as time goes on.)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Nice-looking Swedish barrel knife tucked in there. It's identical to mine. Reminds me even more of my grandfather, who used to have one.

Would a carriage clock have been laid flat in there, and would the drawer have been deep enough?

Is there any sign that the full depth compartments on either side may have been metal lined? I'm thinking tea/coffee preparation in the field. Napoleon had one something like it in his travelling coach.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
My father gave me his Barrel knife when I was younger. It was pinched while I was at college. That is a replacement I found a few years ago.

Something sitting in the centre section would stand proud of the rail in the upper compartment which means it could be roughly square in section.

I keep looking at it and thinking "it's there for a purpose" but I'm not sure what that purpose is?

If there was a grab handle on the lock side I might have thought it was there to stop something falling into the lid while it was being carried.

The covered side compartments do not go down to the base, the bottom compartment extends under the sides.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE