Ditty Box - Project

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ditty-Box-6.jpg

Looking at it now it's got things in it makes me think you've got the central lift out section the wrong way round in use Gary

Reason for my thinking that is the little piece in the middle section would be of more us to retain things in a similar way to the lid. Just my thoughts on it as I think it would look more right the other way round.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As it is the retaining bar in the lid holds the lids down when the box is closed. The lid bar roughly coresponds with the odd bit in the middle for reference when closed.

You can also see a mark on the lid bar where the ring has rubbed the surface a little.

The other way around everything falls out of the covered section and into the lid if it goes lock side up.

It also means that you can put bigger stuff into the front compartments because they fit up into the empty lid section.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
One of my inspirations for this project is the travelling chests that Army Officers took with them on campaign in the Nineteenth Century.

I was particularly impressed with the legs that some of them had for raising them above the damp when living in a tent.

What I wanted was a detachable set of legs so I could use the box with or without the legs depending on my situation.

Ditty-Box-9.jpg

By attaching a pair of battens to the bottom of the box I was able to adapt some legs from an old folding stool which do the job perfectly.

Ditty-Box-8.jpg

When the lid is closed the whole affair becomes a convenient table for working on too.

One last thing to do for which I am just waiting for something to arrive in the post.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Will we be seeing this - and you of course - at the Moot?
I love the old "Campaign Chest" look (they are among my favourite things seen on Antiques Road Show) and I really like the way you are taking the box ... but it needs a Pink silk lining! :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It will certainly be travelling to meets and moots with me John but I'm not sure if I will be at the Moot this year, it may be one of my off years.

I may yet leather line some of the compartments but it is unlikely to be in pink.

I'll be taking it to Steve's Birthday bash though. Will you be there?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
'Fraid not - work!:(
My Mrs has finally given up work (at 70!) so work I must as Sate Pensions will not support two....

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
This is a great project. I will be keeping an eye out for a similar for my boys. Not sure they will appricated them now, but hopefully in the future.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thank you.

Sadly I don't have any kids to leave my stuff to but I guess my niece and nephew will have to duke it out for anything they really want.

Over the years I've picked up all sorts of stuff that seems to have become "collectible" in the intervening years. I dropped into a boot sale yesterday looking for the folding legs and I didn't see anything like the sort of things I used to see twenty years ago.

I don't think it is just the fact that we are 20 years further from the start of the plastic age. I suspect that car boots sales only see the sort of stuff that people can't be bothered to list on Ebay these days.

A bit sad really..

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
nice little box

I was only thinking the other day I'd like something like that to store my odds and ends in - I'd want to turn the lid into a knife rack though

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That would certainly be easy enough C.

The postman arrived early today allowing me to complete possibly the final modification. (Although I tinker with things so much I should probably never say final.)

I wanted an extra handle so that I could pick it up and carry it one handed on occasions.

Ditty-Box-12.jpg

This is just an added convenience really but at big meet ups it is nice to wander from camp to camp and this means I have an extra hand to carry a chair as well.

Ditty-Box-11.jpg

Most of the contents are the sort of things that are convenient to have around a communal fire such as eating and drinking utensils, lighting, repair and craft kit.

Ditty-Box-10.jpg

The fact that the whole thing is just the right height to stand a bottle of wine on by the side of your chair is of course completely coincidental.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
This looks great! I've got a plywood box I made to chuck bits in and its handy as a low side table, but I think Ill have to get the paper and ruler out again....

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
That's looking really, really good - you wouldn't have guessed that it had been modded. Got me feeling salty for wooden boxes now...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wayland - are you still using your wooden cooler box... that is the wooden box filled with polystyrene insulation held in place with wood-grain fablon - not a wooden box that is cooler than this one?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
What a nice project. I love stuff like this.

I'd be tempted to whip up a pair of nice knotted beckets if it was mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE