Dispatching injured roadkill?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

I often find injured animals at the side of the road when out driving.
This sadens me, but accidents do, and will happen. What annoys me is the culprit doesn't even stop or care to see if they have left an animal in compleat agony due to their careless driving.
Most of the time I move them from the side of the road if I think they have a chance of survival. Unfortunately sometimes they are clearly in for a long, slow, painful death, waiting for crows, fox's another car etc .
In these circumstances I prefer to end their misery, a gun would be my prefered method, instant death, but I obviously don't carry a gun on the off chance.
I usually use the tyre, but for larger animals (hares, rabits etc) even this can be a painfully slow end.
What is the best method of doing this without any tools?
I saw a SAS type program where they killed a rabbit and a chicken with bare hands, a chop to the back of the neck and it seemed quick and painless. Trouble is I can't rember if the karate chop was on the rabbit or the chicken, and I don't wanna end up chopping at a hare if it ain't gonna work!
I guess a knife acroos the neck is a good way, but it seems so brutal, and I dont carry a knife.
What's the advise for finishing off a rabit with bare hands??
Sorry for the horrid question, I only hope rabbits get to drive big cars one day and reak their revenge on careless drivers.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
By using the tyre, do you mean running them down? Is this not dangerous to other road users and cruel to the animal? I don't think shooting them is a good suggestion either.

Breaking the rabbits neck would be the best way, hold it behind the head on the neck and on the body with different hands, stretch apart and you'll feel the neck break, kills straight away, it's what people who catch rabbits in nets etc use. Same for hares. Saves messing with knives too.

Not all drivers who hit animals are careless, plenty of times a bird or rabbit will run out in front of you. I was once in a car which just missed a deer that hopped out in front of us, only 20mph though, but fast enough for big car damage. Plus, in some situations, stopping or swerving to avoid animals can be dangerous.

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
i would not trust myself to manage a clean neck-break. not sure my hands would be strong enough. large rock and a lot of force, or my boot straight down on the head. messy, and horrible. but will defenately kill first time if it is a small thing. i have only had to do it to a bird. thankfully. everything else i have found is dead.

i walk pretty much everywhere, so i cross a lot of roadkill. i agree that its not always careless drivers that kill and maim animals. it can happen to the best of drivers. it is still a very sad thing to see.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
So far so good,
Breaking the neck of an animal is a recognised method of dispatch, but it cannot be undertaken light-heartedly. It takes considerable force to achieve and is not easy to get right on your first attempt - it needs commitment and dedication. Even then, its only half the story as for someone not used to the mental aspects of administering a "coup-de-grace", it can be a traumatic event.
An important note I would like to add, is that if you're not prepared to see it through to the end, don't get involved, you could end up prolonging tha suffering of an animal.
I would also recommend that knives are kept out of the equation, unless you are very aware of your actions, you could end up injuring yourself.

Ogri the trog

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've had to do this twice...

#1 was returning from a residential with the the Prince's Trust Volunteers (where I met my SWMBO - ahhhh!) when the car in front hit a pheasant. Our driver / team leader asked who would take care of it and I volunteered. As I got up one of the more fashionable members of our team offered me her coat to wrap round it, I declined obviously. Anyway I got out of the bus and broke its neck, as it was obviously in distress with a broken wing, then tossed it over the hedge. (These days it would have been in the boot - but I was sharing transport so didn't think it was fair!). Anyway I got back on the bus and nobody spoke to me except the driver and SWMBO - they all thought I was going to treat it or take it to the vet!

#2 was a small dog that just ran out in front of me. It was early morning, I was taking the kids to child minders for the day when I ran it over. I knew it was under the car but didn't want the kids to see it so drove forwards a short way, then went back with my Maglite to look at it. It was in a bad way with bits on the outside that should be inside, and had lost control of bowels and bladder. On closer inspection I saw fluid leaking from one ear and so made a decision to end its pain. I used the back end of the Maglite and struck it firmly at the base of the skull - once. As I was moving it to the side of the road the owner found me, and thanked me for moving the body - I didn't tell him about the end, just that it ran out and left me no time to react.

Of the two, the dog was the most traumatic for me, we have had a pet dog most of my life and it makes you think...

Simon

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Breaking the rabbits neck would be the best way, hold it behind the head on the neck and on the body with different hands, stretch apart and you'll feel the neck break, kills straight away

Definitely the method of choice, although I take hold of the rabbits back legs rather than its body.

Additionally, if you've managed to strike a larger animal, deer etc. best stay clear unless you know what your doing, it's quite likely to badly injure you when approached, even if it initially appears to be in shock.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Dispatching a rabbit is very easy and can be done in a second, however, it does need to be done with purpose, when you have done it once you will know how hard you need to pull, the first time you try it pull hard and sharp not a slow pull.
If you hold the rabbit by the back legs and the head you will have your hands quite a long way apart, if this is uncomfortable it would be easier to hold the rabbit with one hand around it's shoulders against your thigh, and put your other hand over it's head, make a vee with your first and second fingers and put your first finger under it's chin then wrap the others around it's head. Once done holding the body as described pull the head upwards sharply and with some force, it may also help to slightly twist it in the process. If done correctly the rabbit is killed instantly. Don't start pulling gently and increase the pull, give it a determined sharp pull.
Perhaps the easiest way for a pheasant would be to hold it by the legs and swing it against a fence post or tree bashing it's head, only word of caution in handling a damaged pheasant is be careful of it's feet they have sharp spurs on the back which the cock birds use for fighting each other and if it kicks out these can cause easily cut you.
If that does not appeal the same method as described for the rabbit would work but you don't need to use quite as much force.
Hope this helps.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thank you all for your input.

I would never approach an animal larger than a hare, and Simon, respect to you for being brave enough to end the suffering of the dog.

I would just like to add that the animals I have found have all been in quiet areas with little to no traffic. I was not trying to say all drivers who hit animals are careless (I have had an accident too), but ment that the drivers who continue on without checking do not seem to care. This could be excussed if they had young children or a genuine emergency etc, but I have known people to intentionally aim for animals.(These are the one I aim the careless remark at, ie 'couldn't care less'.

On a good note, I once helped rescue a injured badger, and later saw it's realease in a near-by field. I now often wonder when I see a badger around there if it might just be the same one, I like to think so anyhow.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
The advice about being very careful with larger animals is good advice, foxes are vicious, and anything larger can kill you no problem.

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
I've had to do this on many occasions. Twice in Spain I found days-old puppies beside the road, no other option but to kill them. It was bloody nasty and I was upset for hours afterwards.

Plus plenty of injured birds, rabbits etc. Pentrekeeper's note on killing a rabbit is spot on.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I had to dispatch a deer once on the side of the road. It was kicking and in great pain. Several people were standing around wondering what to do but afraid to go closer for fear of being hurt by the deer.

I shot it in the head, instant release from the pain.

Saw a guy near there a few days later with a big dent in his fender. Probably was the idiot who left the deer hurting. :cussing: :cussing:

May 13, 2008
leeds
just neck them that is the most youmane way of disposing i have to do it all the time and necking the quarry or rood casultey's in this case necking them the best way

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I was following a 4x4 up a mountain road back home and the driver hit a doe. The deer came out from under her Jeep and I had to break hard to avoid hitting it myself. It was about 10 F that night and the deer had four broken legs. I had a .38 revolver with me and gave it three shots.

We aren't allowed to shoot them anymore but seriously, this was late at night in the middle of nowhere. The deer would have died a horrible death or maybe even moved out into the road again. Mac

May 13, 2008
leeds
I was following a 4x4 up a mountain road back home and the driver hit a doe. The deer came out from under her Jeep and I had to break hard to avoid hitting it myself. It was about 10 F that night and the deer had four broken legs. I had a .38 revolver with me and gave it three shots.

We aren't allowed to shoot them anymore but seriously, this was late at night in the middle of nowhere. The deer would have died a horrible death or maybe even moved out into the road again. Mac

then u did the rite think in my opshon

Warrigal

Nov 11, 2006
Brisbane Australia
I spent the last four years of last century on the security team of Jame's Cook University in Townsville Nth Queensland here in Oz.
Prolonged drought had driven hundreds of Wallabies and kangaroos down out of the army training area behind the Uni onto the campus to graze on the sporting fields and road verges. The campus is set up around a 2.4klm oval road with faculty and admin on the inside and some research and colleges on the out side.At either end was a little isolated and the 'roos would gather in great numbers. When a Kangaroo hears approaching traffic there first defence is to move out of cover into the open so they can't be snuck up on. Unfortunitly that normally is the center the rd. We were reduced to 20klm an hour. in an effort to reduce the numbers of animals we were hitting even at that speed they still hop out in front of you.
When my grandfather taught me to drive he ( as a farmer) was addimment never swerve to avoid an animal. Hitting a dog is sad, missing the dog and hitting a tree is final.
Anyway I hit lots. I mean dozens. Most bounded away. But inevitably some didn't, Initaly I used my 4xD-cell maglite with a full arm swing to the back of the skull and after three days of this started to carry my 21inch ASP baton ( the uni was pretty tame and a baton was a waste of belt weight) The torch was of much more value as a light device to be damaged in a non(my) life risking senario.
It all came to head when I dispatched a small wallaby which although standing had bloodcoming out of one ear and it's nose and didn't bolt when I taped on it's tail. I gave it one solid hit. To the horror of the American Social work student I was driving back to her college. Apparently I should have bundled it up in my jacket driven to the tropvet( school of tropical veterinary science ) faculty and performed Brain surgery and cranial re-construction on the bloody thing. ( I'm an ex-bouncer that isn't what I do to headsLOL)
Well the ****e hit. I was razed over the baton It was leagal but serverlly frowned apon even though I didn't carry it as a matter of course.
No sensible answer was reached. The uni wasn't gunna fund the call out to the privately owner animal Ambulance nor was the complaining student.
So the point of all this cafuffle and BS was?????
The lighter side was the daytime boys ( the campus postal workers who drove our vehciles daytime) got a roll of cartoon Kangaroo stickers and put a row of "Kills" under the drivers window "A la Battle of Britain" on each van.
On a much sadder note one Summer a mob of Pa's sheep got caught in a runaway grass fire that jumped containment line. The charred and badly burnt sheep were stacked up on one another in the corner of the paddock where they had run for saftey. They had to be pulled apart and their throats cut I was 11 and I cried myself to sleep that night.
Carl
Carl

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
most animals a hard blow to the head can kill or at least stun them unconcious till the injuries kill them outright. the back of the neck at the base of the skull works on all animals in theory but I wouldn't like to try it on an elephant.

I was forced to stand by a dying shire horse 20 years ago with a fully loaded slr and permission to shoot from my officer but the police said no as it was on a public highway even though the shot would have gone into the ground. 4 hours later a vet arrived, 3 hours after the coroner came for the occupants of the flattened ford sierra which had hit it. the medic with us reckoned that the rib cage was shattered along with two obvious legs.

it was a long 4 hours. :(

I did nearly rode into a big buck on the inverness road a few years back which must have been hit by a truck, fortunately it was dead as we pulled it off the road or we could have been shredded by its fearsome antlers. I did have a few close calls though on that same trip.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Not the easiest subject to raise - but an important one. Well done for doing it.

Speaks volumes for integrity of most members here that they are prepared to do a hard thing in best interest of the welfare of the animal. Also heartening that many raised point that taking life is not easy - and perish the world where we are all stone cold killers.

First consideration though must be to always assess your safety, your passengers and other road users. Risk of 'sucking eggs', but in the emotion it is easy to forget.

With that in mind, using your car appropriately can be the swiftest and safetst option. Key is, no matter method, act decisively. Killing is not easy for many - in mental terms. Be aware of that. Its a sad task always and if it isnt to you, then thats a worry.

Arguable topic, but research currently indicates large mammals such as deer undergo a period of approximate 4 minutes whereby shock/ endorphine reaction has an anaesthetic effect. In terms of pain reduction and risk of victim becoming mobile/ active you need to make a fairly swift assessment.

Also dont forget to balance that animals are far tougher than Disney implies! There are times were a quiet safe spot and peace to recover is an option.

Pentrekeeper was spot on regards rabbits et al - bar far the best and most reliable method.

Bigger than a hare and you need to assess the wider risks of injury to yourself or compounding matters. In the case of Deer the law varies from Scotland as to rest of the UK - in terms of permissable methods. In addition, use of firearms is subject to strict regulation - even if you have a FAC - do you have a condition allowing humane dispatch/ use on public highway? ( I know - there is a case to balance between moral obligation and statute )

In most areas where Deer RTA's are prevalent ( getting to be just about everywhere ), the police maintain a list of approved persons who will rapidly attend and deal properly with things.

Knives - very effective and can be discrete - in practised hands. But even then often more 'messy' than onlookers probably want to see. Add in other legalities of having the knife with you in public - fraught.

I am a professional stalker ( I keep telling myself ), frequently travel legitimately with a knife and firearm and spend a good deal of time living in a remote spot with a high risk of deer impact road close by. On occassion I turn out for the police etc.

That given, most often my method of despatch for most creatures is the tyre of my 4x4, followed by shovel for smaller animals. It is frequently best to employ a tool that puts some distance between you and the animal. Whether naturally aggressive or not, many creatures can inflict a nasty bite through fear and pain.

There are a great number of people - often those that create the incident - that from Animal Hospital etc etc believe even the most mangled animal can be saved. I dread to think the additional sufferring this brings about. In the same vein, you are often perceived as a despicable cad ( politer term ) for doing the neccessary deed.

The only total waste of time is attempting to call the RSPCA - unless they have a film crew ready and its a good photo opportunity ( bitterness of repeated experience )!

Hard, hard subject. All the more credit to those prepared to try and act responsibly rather than drive on.

Warrigal

Nov 11, 2006
Brisbane Australia
Oakleaf I have had similar experiance with volunteer animal cares at this end of the world always seem to have an excuse as to why shouldn't come.
Again while I was at the Uni my sister had a snake I didn't recognise in her lounge room Two hours and nine unsuccessful phone calls I dispatched it. The heptology (?) professor wanted to have me charged ( it is illeagal to kill a snake here ) even though he doesn't answer his ph on weekends ( I know I tried)
I have a feeling that if you dispatch an animal on the road or roadside in my state you are responalbe for the disposal of the body. Ill have to check.
cARL

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
A good big rock slammed down on the head.
I know it feels sad to do that, but if you havent wrung an animals neck (and I havent) it may be difficult, especially on an animal thats injured, they can react violently.
a friend of mine recently ran over a rabbit. It was in that much pain it was literally screaming. He rang everybody he could to get someone to come and kill it because he was scared to do it himself, but it was suffering so much he couldnt leave it. He was crying when his mum got there and the rabbit had died from its injuries. He felt really guilty afterwards that he wasnt able to do it himself and end its pain, so its good youre asking these questions, I suppose its useful to know the best answer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE