Different woods in different places for bows

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I was thinking about this the other day particularly in scandinavia, where i understand that silver birch is a suitable wood for tool handles, owing to the slower growth and tight rings. I wouldn't have thought of using it here in the uk assuming it would just not be man enough for an axe handle, say.

So could tight birch be used for a bow maybe? and do otherwise 'good' bow or handle woods become less good in faster growing regions. Ie is uk ash better than that from south of france for example?

I guess there are more consistent properties that are to do with the structure of the species of wood relating to the compression and flex of heart and sapwood which may just be so overriding as to make this rather mute, but it had me pondering....

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
HPIM0363.jpg

Birch can be used for bow making (see above) but its best backed. Compared to ash, elm, hazel there is no contest. The bow above was a sweet shooter but its now retired to the bow wall, in terms of compression its just not upto it imo.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
looks a nice bow though!
Thanks for the reply Dwardo - you seem to be one of the most prolific Boyers here!

Have to say i didnt realize hazel was an option.

Looking at other threads some lovely bows appear to be rather 'squiffy' i mean with the bow facing you the limbs not being straight lines, is this because the grain kinks around. I like the look of them but presume it would make a less stable/good bow?

What was the draw on the birch? im wondering if it would be worth it to practice on given its such an easy wood to work, and forgive my ignorance but how do you know the compression is a problem - can you feel it in the bow (and hopefully avoid it breaking on you?).
Looking around i se a lot of limbs that are nearly straight o have minor branches etc - does one really need it straght as a dye. Although if you can use a 6/8 year hazel stem that might be much more achievable.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I think the bow was about 45-50lbs ish.
You can tell if the wood is dodgy in compression as you will start to see chrystals on the belly of the bow. This bow has chrystals where i would not expect them to be judging by the tiller. You can make a stable bow from any type of wood but the other woods you mention are far better. Whilst birch is easy to work and smells lovely when heat treating its also full of knots and with the wood being quite soft its easy to tear it up :(

Get yer self some ash, elm or hazel and just go for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE