Different "branches" of bushcraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I've lived in areas (pre satellite) where television reception was not possible. When available the first program that interested me greatly was "Bush Tucker Man" as I found Les Hiddins genuine and interesting. I suppose Jack Hargreaves on "How" was an influence as well, as both men gave an interesting insight into a way of country life that greatly differed to what I was accustomed to. Initially I found Ray Nears a bit of a difficult watch, but that soon changed. What I do notice is that although mostly unseen, a lot of bushcraft must involve a vehicle to carry all the gear. Now I don't have a problem with that. On my travels I've met individuals travelling the old drove roads of Scotland using pack ponies, hand carts, old roadster bicycles, and an old pram. Personally I prefer to carry all on my back. I always wanted a Baker Tent (and still do), but a proper one is too heavy. I find it interesting seeing the different "routes" to the same hobby (if that's the correct term) I read on here, and how lucky I am to stay where I do with the freedom of the countryside I enjoy so much.
Long may it continue.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
"bushcraft' is a hugely wide term.
From having to transport half of the household 50 meters into a forested grove for an overnighter, to carrying everything you need for a couple of weeks on your back.
In addition to that,you have Bushcraft where people make all sorts of stuff to not making anything at all.

Personally, when I did most of my bushcrafting, before my bod became weak and feeble, I was into the trekking carrying everything on my back, and fishing. Not 'catch and release', but 'catch, cook and eat'.

None are less 'bushcrafting' than the other.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've done everything between living from pocket contents to carrying large encampments in fully loaded vans.

I'm not sure any of it was "bushcraft" because I've never been within a thousand miles of the "bush"

It's just a catch-all phase that is used as shorthand for a wide skill and mindset that sees solutions in the outdoors rather than problems.

Reactions: Kepis and Toddy

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I've done everything between living from pocket contents to carrying large encampments in fully loaded vans.

I'm not sure any of it was "bushcraft" because I've never been within a thousand miles of the "bush"

It's just a catch-all phase that is used as shorthand for a wide skill and mindset that sees solutions in the outdoors rather than problems.
Well here's one interpretation;

"Bushcraft is wilderness survival skills. ... Often the phrase "wilderness skills" is used as it describes skills used all over the world. Bushcraft is about thriving in the natural environment, and the acquisition of the skills and knowledge to do so."

Reactions: Robson Valley

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

I like that :)
I would add that that mindset sees potential too. It sees, and learns how to use, natural resources.
I know that bushcraft, and the turning of the seasons here, greatly enrich my life.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Do you not remember Jack Hargreaves ? he was on the telly.

I remember him from How?
“Out of Town” was his programme, and Gone Fishing. Ran from 1960 for about 20 years.

Of carrying kit and gear, I’ve had some hip issues and been unable to carry all I need, but last year acquired a battery powered golf trolley. I haven’t used it yet, but it’s kitted with the 18 hole battery so ought to be able to go some distances with the food and water I’d need.

The other thing that’s changed in respect of achieving the same goal, is buying a 4m bell tent and a couple of carp bedchairs. Don’t get me wrong, a walk-in with a hammock and tarp is a brilliant couple of nights, but that bell gets us, friends, children, the dogs, out for a couple or three really good nights. I didn’t think I’d be buying a 70 litre cold box, a table, couple of Chub chairs, but I did so we can sit round a fire (bowl) in comfort outdoors. It works, but the hammocking, tarp shelter, fire building, pointy sticks etc is more rewarding I think, we all enjoy that stuff on a primal level.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I remember reading on another site some years back bushcraft defined as "a role playing game they do in England". Took me a little while to get to "well, yeah, that's OK".

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I remember reading on another site some years back bushcraft defined as "a role playing game they do in England". Took me a little while to get to "well, yeah, that's OK".
It’s not just in England. I think most of us are reliving our childhood to some extent. Be it the scouts or a summer camp.

Reactions: Billy-o

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
But that's the point isn't it Deekin; Bushcraft isn't a 'thing' in itself. It's a set of skills and a way of thinking applied to outdoor and wilderness living that enhance our enjoyment, safety and comfort. I can be trekking through the Namib desert in my Land Rover and use a wide range of 'Bushcraft' skills to improve the experience; or I could be lightweight back backing over the Glyders and still be using those skills.

With experience, I don't believe the most important thing about 'Bushcraft' is learning all those 'methods' by rote but learning how to approach and solve problems based on those skills - more a state of mind than a physical capability.

I still use the term 'Bushcraft' somewhat reluctantly; it's a convenient wrapper for a whole range of skills, methods, tasks and activities carried out in a wide range of places from the back yard to African scrub.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
But that's the point isn't it Deekin; Bushcraft isn't a 'thing' in itself. It's a set of skills and a way of thinking applied to outdoor and wilderness living that enhance our enjoyment, safety and comfort. I can be trekking through the Namib desert in my Land Rover and use a wide range of 'Bushcraft' skills to improve the experience; or I could be lightweight back backing over the Glyders and still be using those skills.

With experience, I don't believe the most important thing about 'Bushcraft' is learning all those 'methods' by rote but learning how to approach and solve problems based on those skills - more a state of mind than a physical capability.

I still use the term 'Bushcraft' somewhat reluctantly; it's a convenient wrapper for a whole range of skills, methods, tasks and activities carried out in a wide range of places from the back yard to African scrub.

Well I thank you and appreciate your reply in the discussion. It's quite interesting in other pursuits some people are referred to as "desk divers", I find Rabbit Legs very much tongue in cheek reply could help coin the phrase "bedroom bushcrafters", in good humour, obviously . :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I thought that everybody went camping. Commonly laced with fishing, hunting or both.
Here, it seems to be a celebration of the camp-craft and skills needed for frontier living.
The Canadian prairies were still being home-steaded in the 1880's. My family was there.

Paleo living wasn't so far behind in the Americas and still lots of interest. To me, that's bushcraft.
It's all about living without steel and synthetic cording. Carve a Kudlik (Quilliq). Can you live on that?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm interested in a lot of the subjects this site and its members cover but I've never called it Bushcraft, never have and never will.
I sometimes go wildcamping and try not to take myself too seriously.
I guess its more Herbaceous Bordercraft for me then.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
We are the rural branch of the resistance, the last vestiges of John Ruskin's Arts & Crafts movement in this disposable non-user serviceable age of plastic. Keepers of the old ways, problem solvers , dreamers and misfits who just don't feel quite right in the modern world.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE