Difference between Elite and Chrysalis?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 27, 2014
North East
Hi,
I've been looking at getting a Snugpak Elite and the shop I visi didn't have any, but had the Chrysalis. They said they were the same except for the colour and they didn't have the reinforced bottom for wearing boots.
The other difference I could spot was the Chrysalis comes with an LED light attached to the hood.
I can get the Chrysalis 2 cheaper than the Elite 2 so was wondering if there are any other differences I can't see?
Thanks in advance for all help.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
By the looks of it, yes. If you look at the Chrysalis 5 http://www.hillanddaleoutdoors.co.uk/productDetail.php?productId=1034&brand=16 v the Elite 15 Discovery http://www.militarykit.com/product_...ng_bag_snugpak_softie_15_discovery_olive.html, then yes, its the colour and the reinforced foot (something that most of us wont really need!). Looking at the rest of their range, I suspect its the same thing. In the case of the 5 v 15, the difference is also about £45!

BTW - much as I like my now pretty ancient Osprey 12, the temp rating should be taken with a pretty big pinch of salt!

Brynglas

I bought an Elite 4 earlier this year and I'm happy with it. Yes it's got the tougher material in the foot area but you wouldn't really notice it. Good sturdy zips and a baffle which helps increase air movement and circulation. Whilst I was sceptical about this it does actually work. Can't say I've had a look at the chrysalis.
I know lots of people have a view on Snugpak but I've used a snugpak bag alternating with my buffalo bag for almost twenty years and have had good use from them. My old softie bag lasted 18 years.

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
I've been looking at the same two bags and apart from the differences you've noticed the only things different on the website are C2: Width (Knee) 60cm, E2: Width (Knee) 65cm and C2: Pack Size 24(L) x 18 cm(W) E2: Pack Size 18 x 19 cm (Fully Compressed).

Given the difference in price and the fact I don't mind the Chrysalis' dark red I think I'll but a Chrysalis, it should do everything I need.

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
I had a chrysalis. It was made in China. I always thought the elite range were produced in the UK. Is this correct?

Sep 27, 2014
North East
I've been looking at the same two bags and apart from the differences you've noticed the only things different on the website are C2: Width (Knee) 60cm, E2: Width (Knee) 65cm and C2: Pack Size 24(L) x 18 cm(W) E2: Pack Size 18 x 19 cm (Fully Compressed).

Given the difference in price and the fact I don't mind the Chrysalis' dark red I think I'll but a Chrysalis, it should do everything I need.

I've read and read about the two bags, and I had still missed that.
Thanks

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
As far as I know, the elite range is made in china, but the tactical range is made in the uk. Both are good bags and seem to be well made and warm. There is no real difference as far as i can see, but it's nice to support jobs in this part if the world if you can afford to. I happened lucky to get a cheap tactical 4 and have been happy with it so far.

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
Just gone and ordered a Chrysalis 2 from an eBay seller for £60 so I'm going to be very interested seeing what it is like. Being a warm sleeper the bag should do me down to freezing. Can't decide whether I think the hood LED is a neat idea or naff.

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
My Chrysalis arrived today, it seems really good quality and well worth what I paid. The light seems a bit of a gimmick but may be useful.
Really pleased that it fits into the bottom compartment of my Karrimor Trail 35 day pack leaving plenty of space in the top compartment.

Pity it'll be a while until I can get out and use it. :(

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I've been using a Snugpak Softie Chrysalis 5 (the bright red and orange one) since january, very good bag that even kept me dry inside the few times i couldn't be bothered to wiggle inside my bivvi back in feb and woke up covered in dew and once being rained on, sadly the very first time i stuck it in the washer i forgot to remove the light which instantly negated it's function as a light, never bothered replacing it even though they are only a couple of quid as it prevents me using the hood as a pillow when its too warm to use as a hood, mine also squeezes nicely into the bottom of my Berghaus Crusader pack as the compression stuff sack is proper toughly made and can crush it right down

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE