Diesel storage.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Raptor

Tenderfoot
Hi all,

I have a couple of 20 litre deisel containers in my shed.

Does any one know how long can I keep my deisel in the container before it starts to go off.

Also what kind of additive can I add to extend its life. Any brand names etc.

Cheers,

Raptor

Last edited:

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Diesel does degraded but not as rapidly/much as petrol as as it is a lot less volatile.

How long - its one of the piece of string answers. It depends on temp, moisture, algal growth and other potential contaminants.

Plus the heavy particulates will settle out over time.

As for the additives - most auto factors sell something.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
As a rule I try to cycle my reserves every 12 months but I have heard diesel being used successfully after 6 or more years. Just make sure the containers are clean, air and water-tight and keep them as full as possible to discourage condensation. I can't recommend any additives but a search for 'fuel stabilisers' and 'diesel biocides' may help.

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I wish I could make a 20l can last unused for more than a month! :lol: I've been havin power issues recently (cold weather and batteries don't work well together), so I've been running my workshop off the genny quite a bit and it's starting to get through a lot of diesel :(

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, i have used diesel thats 3+ years old it worked, but lost a bit of its power. what i have found out is if you use 2 stroke oil min or sin at 200 to 1 in your deisel ie 125ml to 25L of fuel or 250ml to 50L of fuel it runs much beter 3/4miles more to the gallon, more power, reduction in smoke when the hammers down. my old shed is a 300tdi defender 105,000miles best thing ive done for the old girl. all the best carl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE