Diagnosis? Something in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 6, 2017
Cambridge
Ok, so this one got me last weekend in Swaffham. 3 doctors, 3 different views, 3 different remedies!

What are your views?

I was in the woods. I seem to be the only one affected. Caused the rash and lumps/hives/bites that you see. Intensely itchy. Became slightly infected. Treated with antihistamine, steroids, antibiotics.

I swear I felt something irritating on my neck, then drop down my back, then land on my waistband. Doc 1 says lots of bites. Doc 2 says similar. Doc 3 says no bites but a reaction to something (e.g. New washing powder - but that's not possible)

Someone mentioned Oak Mites in conversation while there as there were lots of little green aphids around, but someone said they were just aphids (this was an unrelated convo, I'd not gotten the rash at that point)

The image is after 4 days of treatment so much less severe than initial outbreak.

Thoughts?

IMG_8564.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Some hairy caterpillars can cause this sort of reaction. I don't think you've been bitten, I think that looks more like an allergic reaction.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Leaf hoppers (Cicadellidae) are often ridiculously small. As a group, the suck plant saps.
However, they "sample" just about every surface that they walk on, such as the lining of your nose.
Possible to disturb absolute clouds of them, such as from low/overhanging leafy tree branches.
Is this "rash" on your back only? And you are the sole victim?

Something 'bites' my GF/partner in the garden in the summers. Raised welts of 2-3mm and 5+cm in diameter.
Has gone on for years and, like you, continues to be a mystery.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
No medical expert but from personal experience that looks like allergic reaction rather than bites.
I hope whatever the cause it's gone soon and doesn't come back.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If that was a reaction to washing powder, I would have expected to see more redness in your underarms where the skin is thinner & more sensitive or over the shoulders where rucksack straps might be causing initial irritation. Hence I would agree with bites or reactions to stinging hairs of some insect - though it does look like it had a good wander around!

Hope it heals soon

Ogri the trog

Jun 6, 2017
Cambridge
So the worst of it was my neck, middle back and waistline but my front had circa 40 "hives" which came out a day or two later. The caterpillar idea sounds plausible as I'm almost certain something moved between the 3 hotspots as I felt discomfort and brushed it off...

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
Our cat brought fleas home once. I was the only one bitten by them. They left the wife and kids alone completely.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
So the worst of it was my neck, middle back and waistline but my front had circa 40 "hives" which came out a day or two later. The caterpillar idea sounds plausible as I'm almost certain something moved between the 3 hotspots as I felt discomfort and brushed it off...

The hairs cause a huge release of histamine, so reactions elsewhere aren't uncommon. Not every spot has absorbed a hair.

Also, google shows several news stories of large colonies of Brown Tail being a problem in the South East this year.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Chiggers by the looks of it.

1000's on one person and no one else got a bite?

The OP says he felt something on his neck, then drop further, then end up in his waistband. This fits the 3 hotspots perfectly. The reaction is Urticaria, I've suffered it myself and had to seek medical help. There are several Urticaria caterpillars, but the Brown Tail is particularly prevelant in this guys neck of the woods.

Heres a Wiki on the moth with a pic that looks very similar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown-tail

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
1000's on one person and no one else got a bite?

The OP says he felt something on his neck, then drop further, then end up in his waistband. This fits the 3 hotspots perfectly. The reaction is Urticaria, I've suffered it myself and had to seek medical help. There are several Urticaria caterpillars, but the Brown Tail is particularly prevelant in this guys neck of the woods.

Heres a Wiki on the moth with a pic that looks very similar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown-tail

Thanks for the info that looks very similar

Jun 6, 2017
Cambridge
OK, based on the above and what I felt/came out in I am fairly confident that I was the subject of a Brown Tail attack... (melodramatic?)

Thanks chaps...

Didn't make it better, but I feel better informed

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
This probably won't help but I come up in hives when I get certain shellfish and only at certain times of the year which is a puzzle. Just wondered, did you eat anything that might have triggered an allergic reaction, perhaps something the others didn't eat? Long shot I know ......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE