Devon meet-ups?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
Hi all, first post this morning (in the meet and greet) so this is no2.

I'm at uni at Exeter so would be really interested in any Devon meets. I'm in my final year and have made criminally little use of the stunning country around.

Also, is anyone in the area going to the Exeter Knife Show?

Ben

leon-1

Hi Ben, there are a few of us in the westcountry, normally when we are going for a a bit of time out and about there will be a post in the meetups and social gatherings part of the site.

Just keep an eye out for the next one.

As far as the knife show is concerned that will depend on how I am fixed at the time:)

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
That's a shame, I've just finished my uni part of the course I'm doing - back to the real world again working 5 days a week :eek:(

Probably see you at one of the next meetups! You also have a few niceish woods to the north of the university that make a nice day hike, there is also a fair amount of wild foods around there, don't forget the uni campus has one of the largest number of different tree types in the SW.

stinkymilo

Mar 13, 2006
Wiltshire
Hi Ben,

When/where is the knife show? Exeter's only a couple of hours away from me would make a good day out with the possibility of bagging a bargain.

Cheers

Stinky.

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
The knife show details can be found here. I'm planning on going ...

Dunno how you are fixed for getting around, but in addition to the woods at Stoke, go up onto the ridge at Haldon too, there is lots of variety up there (and some great mountain biking too now). Woodbury Common is also worth a look, and there is a great little walk up the Otter from Budleigh Salterton to take one spring evening ...

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
Thanks all for your replies,

i'm familiar with stoke woods and yes, campus is pretty good as they go. I rarely walk straight to or from lectures etc often taking a long loop around the green bits. On the tree not, I was talking to one of the gardeners the other day and he said if i found them at the right time and place i'd be more than welcome to some of the prunings when they have a go. I grew up in Australia and there are a few huge eucalypts wich are about the only thing thats made me homesick! They're stunning.

As for wild food, there is a great bed of watercress on campus growing in amongst the folls stuff which is the regular hangout of an egret. I've pilfered a few bits here and there when out and about. However, down on the quay there is a canal, and I'm convinced it must be teaming with american signal crayfish so one day i'm going to have to have a crack at that!

Ben

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE