Desert boots for subarctic ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Seems to me the properties of a boot for use in subarctic conditions are chiefly to act as a container for the insulative layers as may be needed for the conditions, whist maximising lightness and water vapour transmission, but providing sufficient robustness for whatever activities are planned.

Could an over-size army desert boot meet these criteria ?

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Possibly. Bear in mind though that the winner of the military contract for the last 2 times won it with their "Desert Boot". The contract was actually for a "Hot climate boot".

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
widu13: Cheers, but could you elaborate, I don't get your point ?

southey: surely nubuck or similar leather is used in commercial snow boots ?

Last edited:

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
TBH given the price diff between a pair of lundhags and a pair of used meindl desert boots I could afford to throw away the meindls if the leather starts to crack.. The liner would be thick felt insoles and 2-3 thick arctic socks I guess, with spares to swap out and dry inside clothing or by fire.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Hi Wayland, I've only had a very quick scan for canadian mukluks, and I think I'd have to import some (so a few $$), my other concern aside from cost was their suitability for more strenuous activities. Once thing I can't abide is sloppy footwear that compromises my footing, as this may risk a fall. My preference is therefore for more traditional style boots. How do you find the mukluks ?

Andy

I think the theory is good but there may well be unforseen problems.

Have you tried getting hold of some ex military Mukluks?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
not sure why you wouldn't just chose the boots with their original purpose in mind?
if money is tight you can get swedish army snow boots for £10 plus postage on ebay. just got myself a pair and first impressions are great. not lightweight but very roomy and have rubber bottoms like lundhags. iv put in some thick wool insoles and can still wear two pairs of arctic socks comfortably (have very wide feet).

pete

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Out in Norway last year I found them very comfortable.

You need to keep your footwear fairly loose for the insulation to work properly. The trick is to get them to fit around your liners and socks well enough that they don't slop around but not so tight that they crush the insulation or restrict your blood flow.

Mukluks.jpg

The broad lacing around the leg seemed to achieve this balance quite well.

The only time I had problems with them was when the temperature raised above -10°C and things started to get soggy.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Hi Wayland, I've only had a very quick scan for canadian mukluks, and I think I'd have to import some (so a few $$), my other concern aside from cost was their suitability for more strenuous activities. Once thing I can abide is sloppy footwear that compromises my footing, as this may risk a fall. My preference is therefore for more traditional style boots. How do you find the mukluks ?

Andy

I think the theory is good but there may well be unforseen problems.

Have you tried getting hold of some ex military Mukluks?

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
That's good info guys, thanks. I'd be looking to get boots sufficiently large so as not to compromise circulation. I can see that some degree of water-resistance lower down (a la lundhags) might be wise as encountering some liquid water can't be ruled out.

I'm only just pondering at the moment. I did think about popping the desert boots in the freezer to check their sole material remains flexible. One concern about the old swedish boots was their longevity, be a bit nasty if the soles split with age..

I'm assuming one keeps boots in the sleeping bag overnight, massive heavy traditional boots would not make such nice bedfellows as softer ones such as the mukluk..

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hi Wayland, I've only had a very quick scan for canadian mukluks, and I think I'd have to import some (so a few $$), my other concern aside from cost was their suitability for more strenuous activities. Once thing I can abide is sloppy footwear that compromises my footing, as this may risk a fall. My preference is therefore for more traditional style boots. How do you find the mukluks ?

Andy

See above.

I found mine at Anchor Surplus in Ripley for about 20 notes if I recall.

In fairness I wasn't mountaineering in them but on the level terrain I was moving on I was easily able to cover 16 kilometres in a day.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Well my thoughts have moved on a bit. I considered my beloved Meindl Waldlaufers for a bit which are mega cold-wet boots, they're big enough take a decent insole and two socks. But they're maybe too snug circulation-wise, and the steel toe-cap probably writes them off for prolonged sub-zero use.

The swedish M90 vinterkangas look good, and I'm making enquiries to see if I can source some.

Attachments

• s_vinterkanga90_gs.jpg
    s_vinterkanga90_gs.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 15

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE