Dennison Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Has anyone got any details about the old Dennison smock as used by the paras in WW2
I'm particuarly interested in the design and also the camo pattern used.
Pictures of the smock front and back would be good (preferably without a large bang stick in the way!)

Cheers

Mark

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Mark, go to Google.com click on the "Images" icon above the search box and then type "Denison smock" into the box and hit go....theres quite a few pics on there and plenty without pee-shooters ;)

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
They often appear on ebay, so a search there might bring up some images. The Belgium army used a simular brush stroke pattern on their para jackets in the 1950s - you can still find them in some surplus stores.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
britishp58.jpg

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
used to have a set of dennison, and tiger stripe and mossy oak camos, when i retired from the paintball tounry scene got rid of. Ohhh how i still wish i had them
still have these though

mossyoak1.jpg

mossoak2.jpg

Which are up for trade

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Mark,
If you are at the summer moot, I'll bring a 1942 denison smock (half zip, lined collar, etc) along for you to have a butchers at.
N

beach bum

On a new journey
Jul 15, 2004
cardiff
Not your Dennison smock but using the same pattern and colour issued in the final stages of WWll an example of a " smock windproof camouflaged 1944 pattern"

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

It was in a pile of camo gear at a boot sale the "pink" tinge made it stand out to my eye, I knew instantly from the pattern what it was :)
Grudgingly gave the guy a fiver for it, well, the zip was bust and a button was loose :rolleyes:

I sold it on ebay for an undisclosed amount that you would not believe :p

regards

beach bum

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Wow, thanks everyone :)
Neil1, that would be great, cheers :You_Rock_
I didn't realise I could search for pistures on google - I'll remember that.

Cheers

Mark

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
There is a book called British & Commonwealth Snipers by a chap called Ian D Skennerton which includes details of how to construct your own Dennison smock.

Dave

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
As it happens Mark, I do have a look here this is the exact copy of the WW2 Market Garden smock.............

Oh and slipped a picture of my now finished WW2 troop carrier :35:

STA42775.jpg

STA42776.jpg

STA42777.jpg

STA42778.jpg

STA42786.jpg

STA42787.jpg

STA42788.jpg

STA42828.jpg

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Exact copy eh ! even down to the missing press stud on the left pocket ;)
Looks good though - thanks for those.
Can we see some more of your tonka toy please, it looks really smart now.
I went to the Abingdon air show the other weekend and they had a load of army vehicles through the ages even one US jeep complete with 3 GI's playing cards on an upturned orange box !

Cheers

Mark

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Buckshot said:
Exact copy eh ! even down to the missing press stud on the left pocket ;)

Cheers

Mark

Funny enough Mark, that was what I was taking the picture of as someone was asking about them.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I used to do WW2 reenacting and had various model's of dennisons and windproofs(all now sold) but if your looking for a dennison to be like a windproof i say it would not be the best choice, its quite heavy its made of a denim like material so its a pain when wet, there is a guy on the ww2 forums who makes dennisons out of the same material and does the same hand screening for the pattern but they are expensive, and like other have said theres other places to get repro's personnely i dont miss mine and if i still had them i could think of many other smocks that id prefer for bushcraft like activities,if your really after some ww2 windproofs of fantastic quality this guy makes very good kit(i used to buy from him)http://www.pegasusmilitaria.com/ does'nt do dennisons but does the early jump smock, and sometimes has windproofs though his kit is costly. Your much better getting a decent windproof smock in gaberdine/or ventile in my opinion and would probably be cheaper especially a dpm windproof gaberdine smock(old issue ones)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
pegasus-drive@blueyonder.co.uk
noddy thats the email address of the guy who hand makes dennison smocks 1st and 2nd pattern to your specified size, they are as near to a original as you will get (you need to be a member of ww2 forums to see pics) but you could ask the guy to send you some, he's pricey but its a hand made,hand screened one off ,if your after a dennison drop him a email.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE