Delete this for the love of god. Lesson learnt, don't ask.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
Hi guys.

I am heading off into the Wild again for a few weeks. If I am stopped in my travels I shall explain I am testing my eyesight.
Strangely, I realised I have never done any wild camping in the summer.
I usually go in January so I'm used to really cold, wet weather. I've adjusted some parts of my usual kit.
Is there anything else people would say I should trim?

I was thinking of swapping the sleeping bag for a blanket or scrapping the hammock under-blanket.
Also not pictured are my 5.11 tactical jacket and fleece inner part. I'm thinking they're unnecessary.
Havn't bothered with the gaiters and I have stocked up on Deet.

Here's a pic of what I'm thinking of taking;

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
Only your enthusiasm - don't come into Wales or go up to Scotland. Visiting areas away from your home is considered selfish as it potentially puts an unnecessary strain on limited resources in rural areas.

You may, of course, justify it to yourself.

It's critical for my mental health that I take some time out yearly and this is what I do.
The entire point is isolation from every human possible.
I understand your concern but I'm even taking jerry cans of fuel so I don't have to stop anywhere.
I leave my car on a bit of land that my nan owns and I take off into the highlands.
(Just to note, my nan doesn't live there)

Sorry if that's offensive.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It is.

I can't even see my son who live 15 miles away from me, but you're heading up here, regardless of the differences in our lockdowns.
From Essex.

I hope the police stop you and send you home like they have done with all the other selfish eejits.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
It is.

I can't even see my son who live 15 miles away from me, but you're heading up here, regardless of the differences in our lockdowns.
From Essex.

I hope the police stop you and send you home like they have done with all the other selfish eejits.

You have a computer, you can see your son.
Don't see what relevance that has to me hiding in the woods though.
Relax your shoulders, unclench your jaw and take a deep breath my friend.
Anger will hurt you in the long run.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
You really don't understand do you? It's not your health I'm bothered about. If you have need of any support when up in the Scotland (because you break down, have an accident, hell, just need to get petrol) you risk taking the virus to an area that has not had it - it's all the innocent people you risk that we are concerned about. Do the right thing, stay home or go for a walk locally, or, if you really have to, camp locally but do not risk taking the bug any distance.

I take it that you think the rules are in place for everyone else but not you? You know better?

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
It's critical for my mental health that I take some time out yearly and this is what I do.
The entire point is isolation from every human possible.
I understand your concern but I'm even taking jerry cans of fuel so I don't have to stop anywhere.
I leave my car on a bit of land that my nan owns and I take off into the highlands.
(Just to note, my nan doesn't live there)

Sorry if that's offensive.
And it’s critical for physical health that selfish people don’t come to the highlands. If you have mental hea;th issues then here are other ways to deal with them.

come around our way and you’ll be very unwarmly welcomed. The police are very active and so,to the locals. Scotland’s closed. the highlands are closed.

Any idea how many ICU beds are up in the highlands?

Reactions: Nice65 and Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Why the highlands?

Dark gloomy place with midges.

In Essex you have a coastline. Im sure theres lots of places to explore.

(Tengu has had to give up her Sea View...)

Reactions: jimbo75

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

I can't hug my son. I haven't hugged my son in months. I haven't shared my home with my son in months.
I love both him and his girlfriend and we have all patiently endured this lockdown, literally for months.

Then selfish eejits with not a single regard for the people in this country are prepared to come here, where we have a different timeline, a different phasing of ease, and expect us not to tell them to back off and stay at home ??

Get real.

Do us all a favour and find somewhere close to home to go and chill out. We're allowed to travel five miles.
That's it.
Five miles.
Not over five hundred.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Dude...... you're risking too much travelling. If you usually go in January, I'd hazard a guess that the reason you didn't go is C19.... so you have waited 6 months already, why can't you wait a few weeks or months more to take your 'annual trip'?

I'm all for reaping the benefits of being outside, alone and inside your own head. But now isnt really the time. The rules are in place for everyone's safety, yours included.

I have a brand new tent, packed in a brand new rucksack just waiting, waiting, waiting...... for my planned trip over the wall. But I will wait until I'm allowed. I don't want to put my health or anyone else's at risk just to have 'alone time'.

Maybe you're an introvert, or even a sociopath (im generalising, not accusing you), or simply just don't like people. Great, knock yourself out, but if you favoured isolation so much, why don't you live in a cave by yourself already.......

Use some common sense dude.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Toddy

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I think your mental health might be better served by a bit of introspection. Reflect on what goes older and wiser have said in reply to your post. Can you be sure that you know better than them? Do you often feel at odds with people? Have you considered that they may be right and you wrong?

We are all feeling the strain of the times, but most of us are considering the health and well-being of others. Do the right thing: stay home and feel good about yourself. You won't lose friends that way.

Reactions: Toddy

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hmmm...summer wild camping in the highlands. Normally it is only the midges and ticks that will be out to get you, but your choice of timing means you can add the local residents and police.

Everyone is a special case...to themselves.
No one is a special case...to the rest of society.

You might be 100% certain, but accidents happen and other people cannot be certain. Every "special case" who is seen flouting the rules just encourages more and more to do so. Many of whom won't have put the effort in that you say you have.

Reactions: MrEd and Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Sounds like you think it's OK for you to ignore all the rules and if you realy think testing your eyesight by driving to Scotland when you have so much on your doorstep is OK then it's a pretty selfish attitude.
There is a lot of it about.
If you do decide to ignore advice which is what you basically asked for then you will be justly deserved if you get stopped and possibly prosecuted.
Please don't come to the south west either.
Be sensible and stay local if you must go out.
I too have spent more money than I should have on new kit which is waiting sensibly for the right time to be used.
Yes it's frustrating for all us outdoorsy types who use being out for our health and sanity.
We all understand the frustration but if you realy feel that you need something go see the doctor.
We are all in the same boat here.
Listen to the advice given and find another way....... Please.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Don’t be so patronising and rude. It’s important for everyone’s health you stay put.Planning a 500 mile trip so you can think happy thoughts is about the most selfish thing I’ve heard, second only to Dominic Cummings travelling unnecessarily, which you’ve made into your little joke.

Go and look at pictures of the Highlands on your computer.

Reactions: MrEd

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
Well this has been thoroughly unpleasant but probably hardened my resolve even more to be honest.

I can't respond to each of your comments individually but It's illegal to camp anywhere in Essex.
It's not illegal to do what I've planned, just ill advised by a community of quite aggressive people.

Thanks to the odd couple that were polite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE