Delete this for the love of god. Lesson learnt, don't ask.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
From the Government web site:

1.1 What can I do that I couldn’t do before?

As before, you cannot:
  • stay away from your home or your support bubble household overnight - including holidays - except for in a limited set of circumstances, such as for work purposes
1.7 Are there restrictions on how far I can travel for my exercise or outdoor activity?

No. You can travel to outdoor open space irrespective of distance, as long as you can return the same night and do not put others at risk because of services you may need in the time you are away. You should continue to avoid using public transport and should cycle, walk or drive wherever possible.

If visiting other parts of the UK – Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – you must adhere to the laws and guidance of the devolved administrations at all times.

1.10 Are day trips and holidays ok? Can people stay in second homes?

Day trips to outdoor open space are permitted as long as you can return the same night.

You are not permitted to stay overnight away from the place where you or your support bubble are living - for a holiday or similar purpose - in the UK or overseas.
So according to that you can visit Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, and if you visit NI there is very little chance you could get back home at night, and this is one of the problems with all these rushed through regs, they are to say the least ambiguos

Reactions: TroubledTalent

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
On your kit; if you're coming to Scotland at any time of the year and considering not bringing an insulative layer, windproof and waterproof outer shell, top and bottom, with you, best you stay at home.

Thanks, so my idea of taking a thin waterproof windbreaker and a standard jumper will probably sufice then? As I said, the 5.11 safe to -30 combined is probably overkill right?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
So according to that you can visit Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, and if you visit NI there is very little chance you could get back home at night, and this is one of the problems with all these rushed through regs, they are to say the least ambiguos

I would have thought the terminology was obvious; if you live close enough to Scotland to visit and return in a day AND it's within Scottish rules you can visit - I see no ambiguity at all TBH

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Thanks, so my idea of taking a thin waterproof windbreaker and a standard jumper will probably sufice then? As I said, the 5.11 safe to -30 combined is probably overkill right?

It might suffice. Personally up here I go belt and braces with waterproof and insulate kit all year round. Some wee glens temps can plummet at the height of summer and a northerly wind on an exposed area even in summer will drop the temp.

Best solution, stay in Essex.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
I would have thought the terminology was obvious; if you live close enough to Scotland to visit and return in a day AND it's within Scottish rules you can visit - I see no ambiguity at all TBH
That's why he pointed out NI is included. You could live in the port and struggle to get there and back in a day.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Well if i had time I would explain it to you

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
If you read the restrictions they are easing, mob rule at the shops, demonstrations, not a word about them, one guy says he wants to go camping up in Scotland on his own, and he is lambasted.

Last edited by a moderator:

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
From the Government web site:

1.1 What can I do that I couldn’t do before?

As before, you cannot:
  • stay away from your home or your support bubble household overnight - including holidays - except for in a limited set of circumstances, such as for work purposes
1.7 Are there restrictions on how far I can travel for my exercise or outdoor activity?

No. You can travel to outdoor open space irrespective of distance, as long as you can return the same night and do not put others at risk because of services you may need in the time you are away. You should continue to avoid using public transport and should cycle, walk or drive wherever possible.

If visiting other parts of the UK – Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland – you must adhere to the laws and guidance of the devolved administrations at all times.

1.10 Are day trips and holidays ok? Can people stay in second homes?

Day trips to outdoor open space are permitted as long as you can return the same night.

You are not permitted to stay overnight away from the place where you or your support bubble are living - for a holiday or similar purpose - in the UK or overseas.
The border to Wales is NOT currently open to day trippers etc.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
/edit, sorry forgot to respond to your other question; I wish they could be met locally but It's against the law and the Police in Essex are a cancer of their own.
[/QUOTE]
I think you’ll find they are too busy dealing with the current pandemic to worry about you.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Nice65.
Your last post was a bit harsh and along with an earlier remark has been edited out of the thread. There is no need to be any more personal, or pointed, than has already been said by others. Thank you.

Reactions: MrEd and Fadcode

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You probably should have become an MP?MSP

some of the parts you may have missed

Further changes to lockdown restrictions in Scotland have been announced today (Thursday, 18 June) by First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.

Those shielding are now able to go outdoors for exercise from today. From tomorrow (Friday, 19 June) those shielding can take part in non-contact outdoor activities and can meet one other household, in groups of no more than eight outdoors. Physical distancing and strict hygiene measures must still be followed, even if you live with those people.

It doesn't actually list all the the non-contact activities, but it does mention Golf, Fishing, etc,

I don't think I did miss it. I read it very carefully.
Yes, golf, fishing, etc, ..........that you go home from in that day.
It's not a blanket permission to camp out, and certainly not to travel so very far to an area that does not have a huge infrastructure, where everything from emergency services to the local A&E are greatly limited.

There is also an opprobium on open fires just now too.

"Earlier this month the fire service said that, despite fewer people going into the countryside during the coronavirus pandemic, parts of the nation remained at significant risk of wildfire due to the long spell of warm, dry weather.

Crews urged people who live in the countryside, or may go to rural areas to exercise, to use extreme caution as wildfires could place unnecessary pressure on the emergency services at a time when personnel are badly needed elsewhere."

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The midges are out, so too late to miss them. In a few more weeks the rules might relax further and camping could be permitted. If nothing that has been said so far sways you to wait, or to follow current government rules and guidelines, I wish you luck, and hope you do not come unstuck. Driving all that way and being turned back, or having an unpleasant run in with locals would certainly take the shine off a holiday, maybe ruin it.

We have had questions in the past about wild camping in places where wild camping is not permitted, and the forum policy is that we do not condone nor encourage illegal activity (camping, fires, fishing, hunting or cutting wood where it is not permitted). Usually these are location based restrictions. On this occasion it is also time related. Forums get read by people that don't post, sometimes as a source of information for their own trips, and sometimes to see what activities forums are encouraging people to do. That is why we are so tough on people discussing sneaking into places for a bit of stealthy wild camping. Having laid out at the start that the intent is to do something that is currently against the rules, and to lie to any police encountered, it is hard to ignore that aspect and offer the advice you were looking for.

Regards

Chris

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
I will wait 2 weeks.

Everyone has jumped on me with an opinion of my thoughts and feelings.
I made a joke, I wasn't of the understanding that satire was dead.
To all of you jumping down my throat;
Politically and morally you would be shocked how similar we are.
I shouldn't have to breakdown every aspect of my being for you to have a tiny bit of understanding.

You and everyone you know are more at risk of Covid-19 by going to the shop for milk than you are if I am isolated in the woods.

The main reason I will never try to wild camp again in Essex is that last time I did it I was approached by police who walked me to car, stripped it bear, they cut holes in my seats, went through my entire kit, tested me for drugs and alcohol (despite not intending to drive) then decided to arrest me because I 'resembled someone with an outstanding warrant'. They then took my keys and searched my house at 2am while my wife was sleeping. 24 hours later I was released with no charges and my complaints have been ignored for 2 years.
So no, I'm not camping in Essex. You are all welcome to drive as far as you need to come and try, by my invitation.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Last year I was in the Lake District in May. I was expecting WET...and got most of a week of blazing sun! A hat that shades is good, also gives something to hang a midge net from. Something that can protect arms and neck from sunburn is also a must.
Much as I love playing with my axe, I find that it isn't needed for most trips unless I am going to be cooking on an open fire a significant amount. Its a weight, and a danger. I have often thought I will do crafting...then never actually get around to it!
There is almost never a good time in the UK to use a hammock without an underquilt.
I usually have capacity for 3 litres of water. A sunny day walking might see me get through two or more, and it is nice to have water in camp. Can't see anything more than a single canteen.

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
Last year I was in the Lake District in May. I was expecting WET...and got most of a week of blazing sun! A hat that shades is good, also gives something to hang a midge net from. Something that can protect arms and neck from sunburn is also a must.
Much as I love playing with my axe, I find that it isn't needed for most trips unless I am going to be cooking on an open fire a significant amount. Its a weight, and a danger. I have often thought I will do crafting...then never actually get around to it!
There is almost never a good time in the UK to use a hammock without an underquilt.
I usually have capacity for 3 litres of water. A sunny day walking might see me get through two or more, and it is nice to have water in camp. Can't see anything more than a single canteen.

I hear you with the axe, I did the same when I found MRE's but I got really into river fishing and started taking Bannock bread mixture with me on my trips, (thats why I have the 3 piece mess tin). I keep the plastic safety head on the axe even though it's 119g!

Every trip I make something, sometimes I just whittle someone's name out of a small piece of wood and varnish it when I get home. They make great gifts.
With the water, I have that canteen with some cloth filters and tablets.
Also at the bottom (I should have taken it out the bag), is a storm kettle with a 1l capacity.

I have my army issue camel pak I could take, but in scotland I often find there's always a water source close enough so I was going to avoid it.
I realise now in the summer it's going to be different so I will strap that into my pack.

Also, please delete the thread.
I've gotten the advice I needed and the beration I needed to lose confidence. I don't need more email notifications calling me a smug little *****

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I think where you went wrong ... and this is not to labour the point or to have a go at you, and hindsight is a great thing! was to make the eyesight gag. It didn't set a good tone and as the majority of the country was extremely upset at what was done and the pathetic excuses given. It wasn't a great way to get the info you wanted.
Had you started with ..when lockdown ends and it's possible to wildcamp again....
I think the whole reaction would have been less traumatic for you.
I do hope you get to do your wildcamp at the right and legal time.
But remember over 41 thousand people in the uk had no choice how when or where to die.
That made your flippant sounding remark touch a raw spot with many . Such a reaction would have only to be expected.
You say lesson learned. I do hope you will put that lesson to good use.
Good luck.

Reactions: Toddy and oldtimer

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Why do people just say Wales and Scotland? Don't go to any areas that's not close to home. Do not just limit Scotland and Wales like they're the only populations and services to be saved.

Sorry if that's argumentative. It's just that every area of the UK has its own levels of risk. Exposure of high infection to low or different strains can be problematic across areas of the whole of UK, norn iron and the Republic too.

Sorry Paul, missed this, only because, at the moment we have a 5 mile limit for travel even to see our relatives - I totally agree; travelling any long distance into a rural community presents a risk to that community.

Reactions: Toddy

TroubledTalent

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
The woods
I think where you went wrong ... and this is not to labour the point or to have a go at you, and hindsight is a great thing! was to make the eyesight gag. It didn't set a good tone and as the majority of the country was extremely upset at what was done and the pathetic excuses given. It wasn't a great way to get the info you wanted.
Had you started with ..when lockdown ends and it's possible to wildcamp again....
I think the whole reaction would have been less traumatic for you.
I do hope you get to do your wildcamp at the right and legal time.
But remember over 41 thousand people in the uk had no choice how when or where to die.
That made your flippant sounding remark touch a raw spot with many . Such a reaction would have only to be expected.
You say lesson learned. I do hope you will put that lesson to good use.
Good luck.

There's also been 6,000 suicides which is double the rate of any 6 month period in our history.
I've told the same joke to friends that I've told this plan to.
Maybe it was poor delivery, maybe there's a 'back already up' feeling going on in this forum, but it's always been received with laughter elsewhere.
I was extremely upset by Dominic, Boris, etv.,
My wife and I always planned to move to Scotland to raise kids. She got he PhD now and thanks to the universe it's game over.

Anyway, if you have an advice on gear changes please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Seriously I hope you do find peace, some place where you can have a total chill out, a mental health break, but please don't come here to do it just now.
When you do, mind the midgie jacket. Right now we're being eaten alive and the ticks are out too. Himself walks locally and he's had more this year than ever before.

The ferries are being really particular about who they'll carry.

Important Information - Essential Travel Only

The First Minister has announced that our ferries should only be used for essential supplies or business by those that live on the islands. We ask that you do not travel on our vessels unless your travel is indeed essential.

Down 80% on pre Covid-19 figures apparently. Lot of ferries up here, and across the water.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I don't think your eyesight gag caused any ripples, it was mentioning "Macbeth"
The only advice on gear change i could give you is, when your on the Motorway get into the highest gear your motor has.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE