Delamere Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 15, 2007
Greetings! I had my first taster at Delamere Forest this weekend, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I came on the Saturday, which it turned out to be nice weather-wise, and had a relaxing time getting to know fellow Bushcrafters. Although I am new to this experience, I feel at home with the new skills and tips I have picked up; such as, how to make a bow hole fire (I think that's how it is worded), and making a cooker out of two beer cans (I will try this one at home, plus it'll give me an excuse to have a couple of beers!
If I can get the cash together, I will be looking forward to be going to south Wales for the Moot festival, learning more skills, kicking back and relaxing with nature. My thanks goes out to Goose who organised the recent get together at Delamere Forest.
P.s. I've got six Mosquito bites this weekend and they are driving me nuts! Must be the sweet blood.
Take care y'all,

Mosquito Killer.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Delemere is where the north west meet is held, it is a scout camp in north cheshire, near the village Sandiway.

I haven't any midge bites, my daughter has two which aren't bothering her, and son has none but we camped away from the lake. I got really good advice on midge nets off gillainne. Even got to collect a handful of wild mushrooms, and share them out. I had a really chilled time, even though I was with my kids on my own.

W

Winston Dover

The site is callecd forest camp, If you haev been and not got bitten then you haver done well. Midges are terrible there, but it is a great site. Its the scounty site for my Scout Group so we use it a lot.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
I think we was quite lucky with the Mosquito's, didn't get many bites, I only had 2 and the missis and kids only had about 4 between them, and we was at the side of the lake

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I think we was quite lucky with the Mosquito's, didn't get many bites, I only had 2 and the missis and kids only had about 4 between them, and we was at the side of the lake

Hi BDM,

Were you the family that myself and Nat stopped to speak to as you were on your way out just before you got to the boating lake?

As for mossies, we got mithered a bit towards dusk on the Saturday when over doing the net making at the back of Waylands setup (to the point where I exclaimed 'sod' this I'm off and ran away back to the Citronella candles (which I almost managed to burn my tent down with but that's another story :oops:

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
Hi BDM,

Were you the family that myself and Nat stopped to speak to as you were on your way out just before you got to the boating lake?

As for mossies, we got mithered a bit towards dusk on the Saturday when over doing the net making at the back of Waylands setup (to the point where I exclaimed 'sod' this I'm off and ran away back to the Citronella candles (which I almost managed to burn my tent down with but that's another story :oops:
yep thats us:D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Cheers, can you tell me the idea behind these ingredients? I know of Citronella, are the others tried and tested?

Not much testing, just a bit of thinking.

Tea Tree seems to repel nits so I thought other insects might dislike it too and Eucalyptus makes you smell more like a tree than a blood bag and might be strong enough to mask the Co2 that normally attracts them. I thought it couldn't hurt to add some as I had some around.

Works for me..:dunno:

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Not much testing, just a bit of thinking.

Tea Tree seems to repel nits so I thought other insects might dislike it too and Eucalyptus makes you smell more like a tree than a blood bag and might be strong enough to mask the Co2 that normally attracts them. I thought it couldn't hurt to add some as I had some around.

Works for me..:dunno:

Furrymuff,

I'll have a bash at that then and give it a go at the Moot.

Ta.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE