Dehydrators

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looking at getting a dehydrator and the final selection is between these three.

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Has anyone got experience of any of those 3 and what do you think about it, good, bad or whatever?

Would you buy another one or go for a different model if you needed a replacement and if you went for a different model which one would you get?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've certainly recommended the Westfalia dryer on several of the past dehydrator threads. No timer so just plug it into a timer plug.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have the Andrew James dehydrator. Used for about 60 hours of drying I guess. No issues so far.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Those bottom two are good value, anything with a thermostat on was £70-80 when I got mine. The one I have is a Laser 2000 which is similar to the Westfalia, only 75* 'ish so some recipes can take a good 14-18hrs depending on what's in them. I tend to make my meals up as a whole rather than individual ingredients to add to a dish, a lot of them are pretty sloppy when it comes to drying time.

A great investment if you already buy pre-made meals for £5 a pop.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
No2 for me too.

No probs so far after a month, apart from eating all my jerky before I get out anywhere.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a version of No1, and it has had a lot of use.
It does need me to keep an eye on it every couple of hours or so, I find it best to shift the trays around and free any fruits that have stuck to the trays before they become glued in position, but that's it really. Just does what is says on the box :D and it didn't break the bank neither.

Tbh, if you're not sure that you would actually get a lot of use out of it, I'd try the cheaper one first (might find someone happy to sell on one ? ) and see if it is something worth while spending any more on.

I find I use ours in batches. We make a stash of dried stuffs, and take our time munching through it, then have another go.

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think a thermostat is worth it - beyond that, just buy one and have at it Steve. There are much bigger and better models - but they all work

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE