Defiance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 22, 2006
uk
you may have seen the adverts, its out next week - looks like it might be a real corker.

http://www.defiancemovie.com/

if ever there was a story I'd be likely to enjoy its this one!

I'll hopefully get to see it when soon as poss on release, I'll stick a brief review on this thread - unless anyone can beat me to it :)

cheers

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
I'm looking forward to this too. I saw the first trailer back in the autumn and imediately clocked that it was based on the Belarus episode of Bushcraft Survival which Ray Mears made. Very moving that episode .

Can't wait.

Nice leather jacket too....

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
They interviewed one of the lead actors (some bloke who played Billy Elliot when he was younger) in it on breakfast TV this morning. I thought straight away that it was the same story Ray Mears had covered. It was filmed on location in Lithuania in the winter so at least it should look authentic.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
saw it last night - really enjoyed it.

I'm guessing most here already know the story, its jaw dropping bravery and hardship thats hard for us to even begin to comprehend.
This is a great telling of that story, heartbreaking and inspiring in equal measure. Great cast and script, the whole thing really works.

It didn't look like "James Bond kills Nazi's in Ewok village" from the trailers and I'm glad to say it isnt. Yes, there are heroics of course, but the point of the story thats more interesting is the amazing will of the people to work together to survive against seemingly impossible odds. Attention to the invietable internal/ personal politics is also dealt with which adds realism to a plot that you just wouldn't believe if you didn't know better.

loved it.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
The interviews with the old timers on that link page are fascinating. Wish there were more.

I had a bunch of relatives on the Russian Front, but no one in my family would ever talk about them. I was a history major and wanted to interview them for my seminar project, but no luck. The knowledge is gone now.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
The interviews with the old timers on that link page are fascinating. Wish there were more.

I had a bunch of relatives on the Russian Front, but no one in my family would ever talk about them. I was a history major and wanted to interview them for my seminar project, but no luck. The knowledge is gone now.

Have you seen the Mears episode? Its fantastic - the best thing he's done in my opinion.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
I vaguely recollect something. Did he collect ant eggs with a tarp?

I saw a television documentary some time ago on the subject.

was it the one in Ukraine? showed bison and him tapping a tree for sap?

thats the one

- the main part of the program is the Bielski's story. Some of the survivors gather together near the end to tell their stories. Its very heartfelt, and touching to see these heroes explaining what they've been through. Gets a bit emotional obviously!

Its an excellent program - I've been to the forest where they go to spot Bison, its beautiful.
The Eastern Europeans are fantastic people, hospitality beyond anything I've ever experienced before, full of good humour no matter what the problem and they just seem to never complain.

- not stingy with the vodka either!!

cheers!

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Watched the Ray Mears episode yesterday, I'd be interested to know how closely the film follows it. i.e do you see the group falling back deeper into the forest once the Nazi's start an operation to root them out? They end up having to cross a fairly wide river while the Nazi's are firing artillery at them, they then relocate deep into the swamps on a small Island.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
Watched the Ray Mears episode yesterday, I'd be interested to know how closely the film follows it. i.e do you see the group falling back deeper into the forest once the Nazi's start an operation to root them out? They end up having to cross a fairly wide river while the Nazi's are firing artillery at them, they then relocate deep into the swamps on a small Island.

yep - pretty much.
I'd imagine its reasonably close to the actual story....i get the impression that without introducing aliens they couldn't really make it anymore dramatic!

i'm looking fwd to the dvd, hopefully there'll be extras with interviews of the survivors.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE