Deer Stalking Level 1 - Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
Get the Jelen DSC1 DVD- it was worth every penny of the £22 IMHO. When we did the DSC I was spieling off the IDs whilst others struggled.

This something I am very interested in doing. Anyone got a link to the DVD? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Perhaps I wasn't clear?

Point one "You aren't obliged to hold a DSC to hunt deer" (by the law)

Point two "There are lots of places to hunt deer that are not FC land" (indeed the vast majority of land is not FC)

Lots of people hunt deer without being DSC qualified - not that its a bad thing to study, its an excellent thing to do, but there is no obligation to pass in order to hunt deer (unless you are hunting on someone elses land and they make it a requirement)

Sadly most Issuing authorities put a requirement of some sort or other these days to pass DSC1 to hold a ticket to shoot unaccompanied.

That said, now I can legally go out on my own I never do.

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
Shambling Shaman if you are ever down my way you are more than welcome to come with me stalkng.... the Remington SPS you have been looking t is a wicked rifle, i have a SPS in .233 and a SPS tactical in .308. looking at a new .22 at the moment, a CZ silhoutte 16" barrel. The best piece of advice I can give you is to spend as muchmoney on glass for your rifle and bins, as at the end of the day you must findthe beast and place that shot.
Congratulations on gaining your DSC 1 and welcome to the club :)

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Shambling Shaman if you are ever down my way you are more than welcome to come with me stalkng.... the Remington SPS you have been looking t is a wicked rifle, i have a SPS in .233 and a SPS tactical in .308. looking at a new .22 at the moment, a CZ silhoutte 16" barrel. The best piece of advice I can give you is to spend as muchmoney on glass for your rifle and bins, as at the end of the day you must findthe beast and place that shot.
Congratulations on gaining your DSC 1 and welcome to the club :)

Thats very welcome thanks :)

Once I get some experience your welcome to come up here

Just need to let the boss know that I got them... Told you guy's 1st :rolleyes:

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
This seems the right thread to ask my question which is about the order of things.

Getting a fac for deer seems to require having permission of somewhere to stalk large enough for the required calibre
some places want a dsc1 prior to giving permission to shoot
Can you do the dsc1 wiithout a fac or a rifle? How do you get the practice at the required calibre?
getting fac and a rifle requires suitable storage installing at home.

All seems a bit circular to me, where can you start if you don't own a wood, arent a farmer/ranger etc?

Can you enlighten me on the order of events. And if anyone wants to sell on their deer id dvd then im interested.

Lupin.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
This seems the right thread to ask my question which is about the order of things.

Getting a fac for deer seems to require having permission of somewhere to stalk large enough for the required calibre
Can you do the dsc1 wiithout a fac or a rifle? How do you get the practice at the required calibre?

All seems a bit circular to me, where can you start if you don't own a wood, arent a farmer/ranger etc?

Can you enlighten me on the order of events. And if anyone wants to sell on their deer id dvd then im interested.

Lupin.

Well I did the course 1st, but then I work on an estate.

If you could get permission to shoot - then apply for the licence - then you get an interview - then they come back to make shore you cabinet is fitted.. give or take I had a cabinet already fitted so saved the guy a trip back.

Having a reason to own is the key imo, once you can prove you have justification then that goes a long way.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
All seems a bit circular to me, where can you start if you don't own a wood, arent a farmer/ranger etc?Can you enlighten me on the order of events. And if anyone wants to sell on their deer id dvd then im interested.Lupin.

Do you just want to hunt deer or are you interested in the shooting sports as a whole?
My advice would be to join the nearest 'full bore' rifle target shooting club near to you, it is along time since i was a member of a target shooting club but if the rules are still the same you will go through a probationary period when you will be taught about safe gun handling and all the other safety aspects of shooting,during which time,as far as i am aware you will be able to use the club's rifles/equipment under strict supervision.When you have proved safe and competent, you will be able to apply for your own FAC but for target shooting purposes only,after which time you can apply to either to BASC or BDS to apply to do your DSC Level 1, as you do not actually have to shoot any deer to gain your Level 1 certificate, but obviously if you then wish to actually stalk deer you will have to have the conditions on your FAC changed accordingly.
If you need any help or advice just PM me and i will do my best to help.

Loads of info and advice here:-

www.basc.org.uk

www.bds.org.uk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE