Deer pics

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
We took Cameron out the other day. We got close up to some deer.

It's amazing how close they'll come for a handful of deer pellets.

deer1.jpg

It was dusk and the lighting was poor. They are still very skitterish and I had to remember not to make any sudden moves.

deer2.jpg

deer3.jpg

deer4.jpg

Cameron loved it. I just couldn't help thinking how many I could cram into the freezer.:rolleyes:

Eric

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lovely Piccs Eric - reminds me of Bradgate Park in Leicester - the deer there are like pet lambs!

Red

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Nice pics mate, see how the bottom buck shows good antlers on a young, lithe body - its good, easy living in the deer park.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not a patch on Erics pictures but I saw this lady this afternoon and it seemed in keeping with the thread

871274238_09baa3b23b_o.jpg

Red

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Great pics from you both. I was out today and sat and watched a roe fafily enjoying a brief spell of sunshine. Can't blame for that this year.:)

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Fantastic pic Red. They really are beautiful aren't they.I think I will be treating myself to one of those Canon DSLRs

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That one was the little pocket Kodak as it happens - didn't have the Canon with me - just got back in from the sunset stroll - saw another doe - must have been 6 or 7 today - most were just keeping cool in shade spote - saw two lieing right beside a high seat on a neighbouring estate which made me chuckle! Clearly someone did their research and knew where to put it!

Red

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
I got married at Whitworth Hall - I think we have some pictures of me and the wife feeding those deer. Spennymoor - The Jewel of the North :)

M

mrsfiremaker

Those are some great shots. You would never get that close to the deer around here. But they much bigger and more dangerous so we prefer to admire them from a distance or a on a dish. Eric, for poor lighting, you got some nice shots. What camera do you use? I also like Red's deer in the wild flowers shot. Very natural.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice photos Eric, that's a good way of teaching a child calm patience :)
The small deer around here are very cautious, and the last time I saw red was up by Inverness in Spring. They looked rough up on the high moors. I prepped the skin of a Spring killed one before now and the fur was heavy and coarse, warm though.

cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Those are some great shots. You would never get that close to the deer around here. But they much bigger and more dangerous so we prefer to admire them from a distance or a on a dish. Eric, for poor lighting, you got some nice shots. What camera do you use? I also like Red's deer in the wild flowers shot. Very natural.

I use a Nikon D50. I had it on aperture priority which is why some of them are blurry - slow shutter speed. Flash wasn't really an option.

Eric

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bradgate is a great spot for an "urban" park. Been a dacade or so since I've been sadly - IIRC there used to be deadly nightshade growing around Lady Jane Grey's house at the end there

Wonder if the cafe across the road still does a nice full English? :D

Red

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Had a Roe deer in the wild open space just over the back fence last sunday morning about 10.30am. A real surprise given the time of day, the number of dog walkers and the surrounding housing.

Had a fantastic view, it was very relaxed and didn't have a clue we were watching.

A real treat to get such a long relaxed sighting of a wild deer.

Scoops

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
That one was the little pocket Kodak as it happens - didn't have the Canon with me - just got back in from the sunset stroll - saw another doe - must have been 6 or 7 today - most were just keeping cool in shade spote - saw two lieing right beside a high seat on a neighbouring estate which made me chuckle! Clearly someone did their research and knew where to put it!

Red

Thats a good shot for a compact, you must have been close? Problems Iam finding with my little lumix is that it gives good clarity on optical zoom, which is only 3 x, but as soon as you slip into digital zoom clarity is gone. As a point and shoot or close up its great and up to 3x so I suppose I can't complain.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fairly close mate, I just spend a lot of time in the woods really.

Saw this young Buck today

940338233_bcfbc467a6_b.jpg

Was stood quiet with BB at one point looking for a buzzards nest when a large Buck and one Doe came crashing out of the undergrowth about 5' away. Heard him coming so he was definately the more surprised, but I still didn't get my camera on him in time:(

Loads of barking going on though, always nice to be about in the rut

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE