Deer Hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
In the industrialized town where I was raised and still live there are not many deer. In fact I have not seen that many in my entire life. The half dozen sightings have been in the last three or four years apart from zoos of course. Usually though, they are all to brief, far off glimpses along forestry commission foot paths. However last week this all changed.

I attended a first aid course with the Forest Knights bushcraft school based near Arundel. Very quickly when describing the local woods, Wayne (chief instructor) mentioned that deer frequented them. That very first evening I decided to get off my bum and get out on a "hunt" in search of them, little did I realise that I was about to have a once in a lifetime experience.:)

I took my bearings from the camp and mentally noted a few prominent tree outlines around the basecamp and the orientation of the nearest road. I had calulated a roughly circular route as I had no map of the area and set off on an eastern bearing roughly trying to determin a kilometer as dusk was fast approaching and I only had a couple of hours before nightfall.

I walked for a couple of miles and was approx due south of the camp, breaking out of the forest cover into open fields I saw my first three deer bound off through the undergrowth. I was quite excited at actually seeing one, I always hope, but never really EXPECT.

After this flushed with success I readied the phone to take a pic "just in case" and proceeded.

Round the very next corner, through the gap in the hedge, I spotted a Roe deer resting at the fields edge about a eighty yards away.
26052009057.jpg

You can just about make it out in the distance, Joy of joys I had found another:).
The wind was directly behind me and I was in slightly elevated position so I was not very hopefull of getting much nearer at all, nevertheless I decided to "play" stalking. Quickly droppping onto hands and kness "manouvre style", I felt a bit of a wally, but I was in the woods and no one could see me, hopefully the deer wouldn't either. To further complicate the situation, as if some fat guy rolling about in a field wasnt complicated enough, there were a couple of rabbits approx halfway between me and my "quarry", If you can just about make out the grey blob in the photo above thats one of the Rabbits.

After a good 10 minuites of careful creeping through the long grass with occasional "peeps" to ensure all was well I had crossed through the gap in the hedges and got a good bit closer.

26052009059.jpg

You can tell by the clump of grass in the foreground how much closer I had got and I guess I was less than 40 yds away, The rabbits were long gone and Although the deer knew that "something" was going on, I had managed to remain undetected. By this time I was astounded at how close I had actually managed to get to this flightfull creature. I ducked back down and tried to get even closer my initial expectations had already been bettered, perhaps I set my sights a little Low, so I attempted to get as close as possible until I was spotted and the deer flighted a few, all to short, yards further on.
26052009060.jpg

Filled with emotions of triumph at getting so close and the joy of seeing anything at all I proceeded with abondon. It just doesnt get any better than this, strolling through woods and field on a balmy early summer evening, objective achieved, "job done".

By this time I am an expert stalker and all round deer officanado.:rolleyes: I rounded the next corner and immediatly identified the sheltered glade as "deer heaven" back onto my hands and knees just in case, no clumsy embarrassment this time as my method had actually worked, and almost imediately saw another couple of Roe sheltering in the distance ahead some 50 yards away.

26052009061.jpg

From those early hopefull beginnings here I was face to face with even more deer, my head reeled and I just stood up like a dumb tourist taking photo's willy nilly. I was certain that no one would beleive my fantastic story and tale of how close a city boy could actually get to these wonderfull creatures. One deer spotted me and bounded off to my left magnificent leaps through man high grass and undergrowth barking repeatedly, I had never heard a commotion like it. The others had bounded off silently, why was this making sutch a racket as if trying to draw my attention.

My head spun.......I knew.......I knew...I dont know how or why................ I just did.
I bounded just as the deer had, over to the spot where she had been grazing those few hectic seconds previously and this Is what I found. I will let the pictures speak for themselves as I can hardly even now put into words the immense satisfaction and tremendous joy at my discovery.

26052009063.jpg

26052009065.jpg

Not one but TWO! fawns crouched innocently in the grass.

26052009064.jpg

26052009067.jpg

26052009066.jpg

26052009069.jpg

I spent a good few minutes there observing and stroking them, I eventually came down from the magnificent high with the sound of the mother barking ever nearer her fear diminishing at her concern for the pair. I hastily and labouriously beat my retreat from the sight I knew that it possibly may never happen again.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great stuff Barney :approve:

You need to find yourself a nice sit tree somewhere now and get some more piccies.

I found a small herd of sika this year on one of my usual tramping grounds, they're a bit skitish though and take off as soon as they suspect anything. There's also a badger set just round the corner so I'm going to spend a few evenings watching the action soon.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I spent a good few minutes there observing and stroking them,

A lovely moment. Just one word of caution - please don't stroke fawns. They are born without scent as part of their natural protection. Imparting human scent to them does them no favours at all in terms of this. Not nagging - just hopefully imparting useful info

Red

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Good spot and nice to get a bit closer, but you need to be educated a bit on the matter of the fawns.

The reason for the fawns being there is because they are still being fed milk by their mother. She will leave them in long grass so she can go and feed.

Leaving your scent trail on the surrounding area and, worse still, actually stroking them has severely jeopardised their mortality. They will be lucky if their mother returns.

1st rule of stalking: KNOW YOUR QUARRY.

Mar 8, 2009
Duluth, MN, USA
Hello,

As a testament to how well the doe cleans and hides her young, we passed a pair of twin fawns in our neighborhood without our Basset even smelling them. She walked right by them at 2 meters on a calm day without noticing.

Kevin.

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
Lets keep it civil, eh? I'm sure that Barney will feel pretty cut up about his actions without us having a dig too. With the best will in the world, the actions were due to ignorance rather than malicious and I'll bet that with hindsight (and in the future) the actions won't be repeated. A tough lesson to learn, especially for the fawns, but whats done is done.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's not certain that the doe will abandon her fawn but it is a possibility. I was talking to a guy at work about this today, he used to work at the Round Green deer farm near Barnsley and said it is possible to reverse the human scent to some extent. Not sure how true it is but he said if you use a wet towel which has been cleaned without detergents and hung outside for a few days, it's possible to rub it in the grass next to the fawn and then rub its coat.
It sounds like mum was probably watching you the whole time anyway Wayne so not sure what happens there.

I've certainly learnt something today anyway.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Before some people get carried away, I accept that this may be emotive for some people but on balance there are two viewpoints and they will not have come to any harm.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Wildlife-2507/2009/3/deer-2.htm

The next link read 4th para from the bottom

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/article_4665.aspx

In the next link read the Fawning season tips

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2009/06/fawns_pop_up_in_backyards_arou.html

The very next evening I had the most beautiful stir fried deer for supper, not the fawns I hasten to add.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Barney,

There are three reasons not to handle fawns. Firstly they are born with a lack of scent to make their detection by predators less likely. Imparting any scent to them will impair their natural protection. Secondly your presence around the fawns is distressing both to the doe and the fawn. You may well have enjoyed the stroke - the fawns do not. Indeed some very young wild creatures find human contact so stressful that they die. Thirdly any interference with the young increases the chance of desertion - it does not make it certain but it does increase the possibility.

I am no bleeding heart on these matters - as many here know, I hunt, and make a pretty passable venison jerky. Killing deliberately and quickly is fine - even very young creatures for humane or pest control reasons (and in parts of Sussex and Hampshire the Roes are a pest now). However increasing the chance of injury, predation or desertion of a non target animal really has no place in hunting or Bushcraft. Handling fawns does cause this (a fact noted in the links you cited - not all of which are describing Roe deer by the way). It is not certain but it lowers their chances.

No one is having a pop here but not handling fawns is accepted good practice in wildlife observation and hunting.

Perhaps we can let the matter rest there

Red

Purdy Bear

Jun 5, 2009
SE London
I hate to say this, but I agree with Red. You dont touch em.

Barney
Good for you for seeing these lovely creatures in the wild, and having great shots. You will always have those wonderful memories.

Iv seen deer in the backfields in Sussex before, and also in churchyards. They just have this awesome sweet aura.

Well Done!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE