Deer hunting, bows, and .22 / .308 stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
Hi All,

This is my first real post, so apologies if I say anything out of line.

First off, I should say that I have read some previous threads which don't like the use of words beginning the 'G' and 'R'. I understand that keeping this unfiltered by web-bots is important, so shall just use terms like .22 and .308.

I was wondering if you might be able to give me your advice/opinion on deer hunting...

I live in leicestershire, not the most deserted place in the UK, but lots of deer, and several forests. I've been trying to find a way of moving my hunting up from shooting the odd hare/rabbit/pheasant etc with my 12 bore, to shooting larger game with less holes!

As far as I can see it, the main route would seem to be thus:

find a large farm where the farmer will write a letter giving permission to hunt (more or less done)

Gain .22250 centrefire licence.... shoot for a year or more. go on several VERY expensive rifle shooting courses, apply for .308 licence... then pay shed loads to stalk deer in scotland...

please tell me there's another way... or several other ways!

I realise the status of the law and bow hunting in the UK, so let's say that we're talking about "deer sized targets".

I dont mind following the .308 route, but I dont want to have to pay the earth for the privilage. Wild Food should be free... more or less. :)

Thanks All

Adam

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
To get a FAC, the police like to see evidence of experience with firearms. I figured that having a SGC, and documentary evidence of range experience in the TA would be enough, but I was nevertheless strongly encouraged to do DSC1 first. I did that, and no problems.

I have an 'open' FAC (can use rifle anywhere I have permission and I judge it safe) but in England first certificates are usually 'closed' (land must be approved by police for that calibre). Often the police also insist on a mentor accompanying you at first.

I've never paid for my stalking, but live in rural Scotland and am a local doctor, so contacts are easy to come by. BASC offer very cheap red stalking on Arran (IIRC, about £250 for 5 days red hind stalking). You can also get roe doe stalking for £30 an outing in rural Scotland. It doesn't have to be expensive.

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
To get a FAC, the police like to see evidence of experience with firearms. I figured that having a SGC, and documentary evidence of range experience in the TA would be enough, but I was nevertheless strongly encouraged to do DSC1 first. I did that, and no problems.

I have an 'open' FAC (can use rifle anywhere I have permission and I judge it safe) but in England first certificates are usually 'closed' (land must be approved by police for that calibre). Often the police also insist on a mentor accompanying you at first.

I've never paid for my stalking, but live in rural Scotland and am a local doctor, so contacts are easy to come by. BASC offer very cheap red stalking on Arran (IIRC, about £250 for 5 days red hind stalking). You can also get roe doe stalking for £30 an outing in rural Scotland. It doesn't have to be expensive.

Thanks, £30 for an outing wouldn't be so bad... be interested to find out if that's the case in england too. I'm all about the food, rather than the sport.

My undertanding so far is that you have a closed licence for the first 5 years, and then you can apply for an open licence... does this open licence then cover you if you upgrade to a .308? did you have to do DSC1 because you went to a .308 straight away, or did you do .22 first?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I apologise if this is out of place, but that response wasn't very helpful. Can you suggest another forum? My impression was that hunting and bushcraft go together, and this certainly wont be the first hunting thread on this forum.

The Hunting Life (THL) is the best UK one.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Moved thread to Fair Game instead of Kit Chatter.

farmershort, Doc and Bushwacker have both given you good advice; this is a bushcraft forum, hunting is only a very small part of what we do or where our interests lie.

cheers,
Toddy

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
Moved thread to Fair Game instead of Kit Chatter.

farmershort, Doc and Bushwacker have both given you good advice; this is a bushcraft forum, hunting is only a very small part of what we do or where our interests lie.

cheers,
Toddy

thanks Toddy, I sort of duplicated myself with the barebow thread, and already been spoke to by a mod... apologies, I think may have gotten the jist of the site a little wrong..

still a very useful and impressive forum all the same.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
im no expert but i imagen they would be more keen to let you loose with a .22 first.
iv used both in army cadets (well 7.62) and a .308 makes a .22 look like a toy (not that any guns are toys!).

pete

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks, £30 for an outing wouldn't be so bad... be interested to find out if that's the case in england too. I'm all about the food, rather than the sport.

My undertanding so far is that you have a closed licence for the first 5 years, and then you can apply for an open licence... does this open licence then cover you if you upgrade to a .308? did you have to do DSC1 because you went to a .308 straight away, or did you do .22 first?

'Open' relates to the land, not the r*fle. You have to specify the calibre you want when you apply; you can later get a variation for a different calibre, subject to the land being satisfactory. Closed certs are often opened at first renewal (5 yrs) but different police forces vary on this.

A lot of people get .22 rimfire first and then add a centrefire later but you don't have to. I applied for .22RF and .270 on my initial application.

There's loads of stuff on the airgunbbs forum (despite the name, there is a lively subforum for the powderburners).

If I were in your shoes, I'd do DSC1 as it will make FAC application massively easier, apply for both .22 and a deer calibre (assuming the farm is suitable). Even if the police don't insist on an experienced friend for the first few outings, it's not a bad idea. Also look at the Deer Stalking Handbook. Eskdalemuir in southern Scotland do DSC courses and reasonably priced roe stalking.

Of course, the best advice is move to Scotland, but that goes for most bushcraft topics.:)

PM me if you need more info - I understand the mods concern re too much hunting (and especially f*rearms) discussion.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track

But it is still bushcraft, theres nothing wrong with the guy asking this question IMHO theres plenty of folks over here who can offer advice. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't recall saying it wasn't.

I did say that his thread was in the wrong place (kit chatter :confused: ) and that this topic was only a small part of what interests most members. That comment was made since this was his second thread in that vein and he appeared to be under the impression that hunting was a major focus for the forum.

Toddy

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
Seriously, thank all... obv I was only looking through the old posts for hunting stuff in particular, so consequently I found quite a bit of it... that probably lead to a warped impression of the ethos of the site.

That said, My aim is to live off the land... which, apart from the camping bit, will involved all aspects of bushcraft. In my view, learning how to feed yourself is a pretty important thing.

Thanks to all, all the same, I think I get the picture, but would appreciatte any pm'd advice from anyone in the know. also, worth noting that the THL forum boys have educated me. Think I'm looking at a .243, which is a bit of a cover-all.

anyone local to me in leicester got some knowledge on this?

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire
Bow hunting appeals to me. I like it's simplicity. Upkeep would seem to be cheaper (I could be wrong) and you could always craft extra arrows if needed.

It's a shame it's illegal.

my thoughts exactly... i tend to take the view that no-one owns an animal until it's dead and he's holding it... BUT, using weapons which aren't legal to hunt with at all is a bit dodgy... I was hoping there might be some experienced bow hunters who can offer some tips, and advice on whether it's really worth the bother. I'd rather do without any powder burning thing if at all possible, but if that's all they'll let me hunt with, so be it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bowhunting is illegal in the UK but apparantly a catapult can be used to great effect, is discreet and non threatening (Goliath's apart ;) ).
There were a few threads not so long ago about using them; illegal for deer though right enough.

cheers,
Toddy

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Bowhunting is illegal in the UK but apparantly a catapult can be used to great effect, is discreet and non threatening (Goliath's apart ;) ).
There were a few threads not so long ago about using them; illegal for deer though right enough.

cheers,
Toddy

I think that was a sling! :D Unless they had knicker elastic back in the day! :lmao:

farmershort

Feb 16, 2010
leicestershire

cheers,
Toddy

Ordered my brown hunter the other day from Mr Fish's website... for the smaller game ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE