Deer counting and minimum gear test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Ok so I like comfort and I like to be warm! but I was asked a few weekends ago to help out count the population of roe deer in the local forest. I of course jumped at the chance. But as it was a night/early morning activity I thought i would give minimalist sleeping out a go!!.

in my home made canvas bag I took..
1. Sleeping bag
2. Bivvy bag
3. Bushbuddy
4. Black thermo-cup.
5. Packet of super noodles
6. 2 teabags
7. kleenex towels (pocket size)
8. small neck knife + fire steel

Know this might seem a lot to a lot but those of you that know me this is much less than I usually take ;)

First observation, the ground is hard! I managed to stay warm for about 1 hour then the temperature dropped. Bushbuddy took ages to light but there is a no fire on ground rule so it was all I had!!
I filled up the thermo cup for night time sips of hot water!!
Before bed I prepared supernoodles al was well till I realised my new minimalist kitchen didn't have a fork ;) so a few sticks and chopsticks worked well!!
Breakfast was quick cup of tea!
Breaking camp was about 2 to 3 minutes!!

Would I do this again..

Probably not my hammock is much to comfortable and for the extra weight I prefer a good night sleep to losing a few ilbs to carry.

Sorry no fotos its was really minimum!! but I was able to carry everything in a very small haversack that I made myself (except sleepingbag and bivvybag) that I rolled up and paracorded it to my back like a rucksack..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE