deer beds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
i found som deer beds now how do i go about seeing the deer there is a water souce down wind from the beds and a field not far from that there is a hide near the water souce but i think its a poacers hide because it would allow a all round view of the pond thats about 30 meters across there is a bit if grafiti carved on the trees near the hide which is down wind of the beds and water but upwind from the field i dont want to use the hide (a 22 round wouldnt suit my forhead)
if any of you live near lincoln i would be happy to show you but any help would be greatly apreciated(can you tell im deslexic)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Unless your deer are different from those we have locally (white tail), they make a different bed everytime they sleep. The best time to spot deer (ours, anyway) is just after dawn, and just before, and into, the night. Deer sleep around mid-day and sit and - chew their cud, and sometimes sleep, in the middle of the night. Sleep periods vary and are not of too long a duration. Beds are usually in tall grass or under an evergreen. If you see something that is in the soil - it is usually a scrape (speaking strictly about our local white-tails).

Our local white tail (Minnesota) are very large - compared to those in the southern states. In the south they are the size of a large dog. Locally, some larger deer are close to 300 pounds. We've had a number of very mild winters and our deer herd is huge. I work night shift, and last night, without looking for them, I saw between 40 and 50 deer.The deer must be getting good browse as, even this time of year, they are fat.

PG

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
PG - you're deer are similar to ours in that they make a scrape where ever they happen to be when they want to bed down.
White tails are a close relative of our Roe I believe.

WW - I was wondering if you meant actual beds or wallows that some deer use during the rut. These are muddy stinking areas the stags roll in to make themselves irrististable to the hinds.
Funny - it's never worked for me !!!
You can sometimes see teritorial markings from Roe particuarlly at the base of a sapling they've frayed. All deer fray but it seems Roe also scrape thier feet at the base of the poor tree they're taking thier frustration out on. You can tell if this is the case becasue the bark will have been damaged a couple of feet above the ground and directly above the scrape.

Cheers

Mark

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Just reading up on roe deer and red deer. Roe deer look similar to white tails, but the spots on the fawns are different. Something different in the shape of the adult deer too, but they are close. Red deer look something like Caribou, but not that close. Read that there are 300,000 red deer in Scotland. Seems like quite a lot. Got me wondering how many white tails there are in Minnesota. DNR site says 1.2 Mil. Given that Minnesota is 1,286,943 square miles and Scotland is 30,414 - that seems like about an equal number of deer.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE