Deep Jungle Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Firstly, I'd like to introduce myself. As far as I know, I am the only a hobbyist knifemaker in Hong Kong. My name is Dan, but I hang out on a number of forums under this moniker, especially BritishBlades, which is how I got to hear of this forum.

I am writing here to ask for some advice on an trip I am planning to the Jungle Environmental Survival Training (JEST) camp in Subic Bay, Philippines. The visit will involve 2 nights in the jungle with the renowned native guides that trained the USMC in jungle warfare and survival during the Vietnam-era. I am planning to travel light and only carry a small bergen with:

Knives
  • Bolo
  • Fallkniven F1 in the original sheath
  • SOG Crossgrip on a lanyard
  • Wire saw or folding saw
  • Pruning shears
  • Diamond sharpening stone

Clothing
  • US issue jungle boots
  • Flip-flops
  • Leach socks
  • Wicking T-shirts
  • Shorts
  • Pair of semi-waterproof pants
  • Lightweight raintop
  • Poncho
  • Pair of heavy gardening gloves

Navigation
  • Compass
  • 3W LED light and spare batts
  • Head-mounted light

E-Rations
  • Lots of mint-cakes
  • Dried-bean mix
  • SIGG-type Water bottles, 2 x 1L
  • Filter pump

Heat
  • Mini-blowtorch lighter
  • Mg block and steel
  • Tinder pouch
  • Hex-stove (backup use)

Survival
  • Puritabs
  • A few small glowsticks
  • Storm whistle
  • Spaceblanket
  • Duct tape
  • Paracord (lots)
  • First aid kit

Other
  • Waterproof bags
  • Mozzi-net
  • Mozzi-stick
  • After-bite
  • Bog-roll
  • Mini sewing kit
  • Compressable sleeping mat
  • ID documents; cash; card

The guide said they would allocate me a bolo which was essential kit; kinda implying that nothing else but my bare bod and the PHP500 per night fee would be required. That's really not my style. I have left out some stuff I would carry on a European bush trip on purpose. No signal mirror, no thick clothing, no throw-tent, no sleeping bag, no snare wire, no fishing gear.

So, considering that I will be in the jungle, but probably operating in the vicinity of a fixed camp, is there anything you would recommend I bring or leave behind?

Also, is there any general advice about jungles? For example, starting fires in the wet?

Thanks,

Dan :biggthump

leon-1

Firstly welcome to BCUK Dan, good to see you here.

Your list is pretty good, I would have a tendency to wear long trousers rather than shorts, I wouldn't bother with 2 torches, I would take a head torch only, a folding saw is far more preferable to a wire saw. I wouldn't worry about pruning shears either, they are handy, but I would not class them as essentials.

Rather than a sleeping mat I would take a hammock of some sort as they will keep you off the jungle floor and away from beasties that bite or sting.

I would also take in some form of foot powder so that when I was in my hammock of a night I could dry my feet (you don't want immersion foot).

You may want to take your fishing gear, the jungles that I have been to had rivers and streams and fishing is as good a way as any to get a meal.

Starting fires, the rules are pretty much the same as anywhere else, use standing dead wood, split it to expose the dry inner heart and then make fuzz sticks with the dry heart wood :)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
:yikes: how many edged tools!!! I can tell you're from BB ;-)
Welcome aboard :biggthump

Right, I'm no expert in this field but I have spent the odd week here and there in the jungle so here goes....

To be honest, most of the time you will be using the bolo I would think.... its a main tool of the jungle, you may want a small folder or fixed blade, but thats about it.

As for clothes, I only carried 2 sets.... one set of 'wets' that were worn in the day.... and 1 set of 'dry' that i changed into in the evening to be a little more comfortable. I didn't bother taking waterproofs as 100% humidity meant i was wet all the time, raining or not. A poncho can be a useful item to take though as it has many uses.
I would suggest Long trousers and long sleeved shirt as these can be rolled up if needed but allow you to cover up when those biting insects come out.... if you are in a malaria prone area this is a must!!!

For things to take, ummmm.... I suggest taking a few small gifts for your guides at the end of the trip..... maybe a few pens or pencils for the children..... It'll do wonders for your reputation with the locals.... and you never know when you will be back in the area;-)

Hope that been of some help, there are a few here that can answer your questions alot better..... stuart as we speak is out in the jungle..... check out his blog/journal.

Welcome again

:)
Ed

Thanks Leon-1 and Ed. I have been shopping and made a couple of changes to the list:

I agree with your assessment that I might spend the whole time wet. That said, the trip will be short, so I can probably allow myself the luxury of dry clothes. I have some Go-Lite Power Dry garments and a sports towel and a lightweight drybag to keep these and any other dry kit dry. I have also replaced the SIGGs with a rubber camelback-type pouch. I have dropped the shears and the saw altogether and the Khuk will be ported to the camp for experimental purposes only. I may drop the flashlight in favour of the head-light.

Next, for some reason I couldn't pick up leech socks (I hope the lil' boogers don't like foot powder and 100% DEET spray). For that matter, I didn't find military foot powder either (What commercial alternatives would I find at the chemist's?).

I have also got myself a full length mozzi net, a 10' x 8' tarp/flysheet and a short sleeping mat... although I'm undecided about the latter. A hammock might be a better bet than my original plan of building a 'jungle bed' on stilts, but as the others may not be equipped with hammocks, our guides may insist on the DIY approach.

Strangely, I also had trouble finding hexamine tablets. They used to be everywhere.

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
I wouldn't worry about the leech socks. If you tuck your trousers into your boots and apply allot of mozzy repel around the top of your boots that should do the trick when the leeches try and crawl up your boots. Keep replenishing the mozzy repellent mind you and watch out for those leeches behind the laces when you take your boots off as they get into some small places.

Richie

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Hi Dan

Welcome to BCUK.

OK its been a while since I've been back in the forest but in another life I spent a little time there:)

I'd echo most of what the others have said - however as well as your 2 sigg bottles I would be carrying at least another 2l in a camelbak or similar.

Use a hammock if you can.
Dont worry about the leech socks - put a bit of tobbacco in each boot, leeches don't like the juices that come out when your boots get wet. (I don't like american issue boots either - but thats another story)
Any foot powder meant for athletes foot will do.
I would bin the torch, the space blanket, the bog roll, the glowsticks, the waterproof clothes and most of the knives. I would add an umbrella (don't laugh it's one of the most useful bits of jungle kit there is!) and a lightweight fleece blanket instead of a sleeping bag.

Try very hard to stick to the one set dry one set wet clothes rule (this is where the umbrella is great - you're in your kip, nice and dry, rains howling down, suddenly nature calls. Do you change into your wet kit to go? Or do you get your dry kit wet? Or put up your brolly and keep your dry kit dry?)

I would also add some binoculars for entertainment. The canopy is a long way above you and thats where most of the wildlife will be.

Try hard to enjoy it - first time in can be a bit overwhelming.

Have a great trip

George

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Welcome Dan, I'm sure you're going to have a wail of a time over there!!!! :eek:):

As you're based in camp rather than trekking it's not so important but you need to travel as light as you can, it's no fun humping a heavy bergan in 100% humidity! As the others have said this applies to the metalwork you take. Living in Hong Kong you shouldn't need to acclimatise like we would coming from Europe but it's still a slog if you carry to much.

By all means take your kitmat and prepare to build a jungle bed but be warned these are not as nice and comfy as they look in the books and you would be much much much better off with a hammock. If the guides really won't let you use it (can't see why they wouldn't - especially as it's you paying them - but don't point that out too bluntly) then a light weight nylonsheet hammock doesn't weigh much so it's not a biggy to have it but not use it and much better than to really want/need it and not have it.

I echo what the lads said below about fishing....take a small kit and maybe a telescopic rod if space allows.

Another old trick is to take an old rubber inner tube from a pushbike...it can be cut into a shred and once lit from your lighter it will get your main fuel burning in no time. I also saw a guy who always took a "mini basha" say about 1 foot square and in really really heavy rain he set this up flat about a foot high and built and started his fire under it, when it got going he took off the sheet and used the sticks for fuel.
I'd also recommend a bandana or headband of some sort...if you're anythng like me then you'll sweat heaps and it's a handy item to have.

My final tip is to take a small compact mirror....nothing fancy, the lid of a woman's old face power tin is fine....as you have discussed below leaches can get everywhere.....and we do mean everywhere...when you check yourself each morning and evening it's nice to be able to have a looksy at all those places that you just can't see on your own....alternatively you can buddy up and get your mate to check you but for peace of mind it's nice to be able to look yourself.

Hope that's of some use to you and once again have a great trip you lucky thing!!!! I'll bet there's plenty of us who wish we were coming too!!!!

All the best Mate. :eek:):

Phil.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
George's umberella idea is tops....I'd thought about it myself on several trips into the jungle and then prompty forgot each time I got out again (the idea stayed but I wasn't sure how to explain it to my troop IC).....it could also be used in place of the mini basha I discribe below when firelighting in the pouring rain.....nice one George, a pragmatist after my own heart :wave:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Agree about long trousers- besides malaria the local mosquitoes can carry filariasis and Dengue fever.

Quite a lot of cholera and rabies in the Phillipines in recent months. Rabies vaccine advised if you might be more than 24 hours from medical help.

You may need immunisation against cholera and Japanese B encephalitis. And malaria prophylaxis if you are in a malarial zone.

I can PM you more info if you wish.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi,

I have slept on the floor in the jungle but it was very uncomfortable and not recommended, too dark and tactical to put up a hamock. The umbrella is a great idea, I was advised to take one when I spent 6 weeks in the jungle, ideal for when you stop and its pooring down and you want to get a fire going or just sit out of the rain. Two sets of clothes are all you need, one wet for the day and dry for night, but if your not carrying your own kit all the time, take as much as you like. Put foot powder in a resealable bag so that you can put your foot in to get a good covering on it without wasting too much, personally I like Lanacane foot powder which is medicated. Possibly too many edged weapons, my choice would be the Bolo, folding saw and a good lock knife plus a good sharpener of course.

Hope thats of some help, have a great time,

Brian

Brian said:
Possibly too many edged weapons, my choice would be the Bolo, folding saw and a good lock knife plus a good sharpener of course.

"Edged Weapons"? I have a couple of tools; probably I won't even be skinning game with them. I have an F1 for whittling and camp chores, pair of mini pliers for removing fishhooks, etc. and Bolo for the rest. I promised to take along the Khukuri to test if it could do the job of both small fixed blade and machete, but it's not my number one choice.

So far, I have yet to pack my quinine sulphate tabs or foot powder, but it all fits into a 30 litre day-pack with a little space to spare. Except the Bolo; that'll be hand-carried.

leon-1

Dan the advice on an umbrella is good, I know of at least two courses that are run by the military that they recommend them. Foot powder, well one of the guys mentioned lanacane, this is pretty good as it is actually a medicated dusting powder and has no talc content and can be used for the whole body.

Mycil, is also a good foot powder if you can get it.

Don't worry too much about leaches, they are easily removed using either a little salt or wipe a little insect repellant on them (if you can get the issue cream with 35% DEET that does the job admirably), they soon drop off.

Above all, have a good time :biggthump

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
If you keep an eye out you can often pick the leeches off your boots before they get inside and start to feed. If you keep rolling them between your thumb and finger they stay tucked up tight in a little ball. You can then throw them on to the neck of the guy in front of you. :naughty:

My record is seven before my mate noticed! :twisted:

George

That is the most evil thing - I can imagine a fight breaking out on the trail.

I have just had the first of my jabs. A Hepatitis A/B on the left shoulder and Japanese Encephalitis on the right. I have to have another JE Next week and another the week after, followed by Hep in Jan and again in June. I have a course of Malarone (Malaria) and Vivotif (Typhoid) pills too. The medical bill exceeds the cost of the flight to the Philippines plus the training itself.

I have even gotten permission from the boss (at work) and the big boss (at home) and all the gear is stowed.... this may actually happen.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Apologies ZDP-198,

I did mean edged tools, fingers typing quicker than the mind was working. I always tend to carry too much, just in case, but with practice I work out what I need and what I don't. Don't forget to let us know how you got on out there, how your kit was and what you would leave behind and change for the next time.

Above all enjoy it

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE