Deep Cycle Batteries by Tab

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

inthewilderness

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2013
Canada
Has anybody ever heard of TAB batteries? They are manufactured in Slovenia. They seem to be more of a European market. I'm considering buying some deep cycle tubular batteries and wondering if anybody has had any experience with this manufacturer (TAB). I've never heard of them until recently. Thanks for any feedback.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Never heard of them. But, I haven't looked for 10+ years, either.
I'm running pairs of Discover (boat/motor home) 6VDC in series for 12VDC.
Only twice have I run them down until the inverter quits. Happy with the set up.

inthewilderness

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2013
Canada
Thanks Robson Valley. The only distributor I can find in North America is a company in BC. I haven't looked for 18 years so I'm getting re-educated. Have a good day. Ron

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Maybe this is old news. An electrical engineer told me to go with 2 x 6VDC in series for 12VDC.
The total surface area of the battery plates determines how much amps you can store.
The reality is the 2 6VDC have more plate area than a single 12VDC battery.
Places like Chieftan Auto Parts have the tools to make up any battery cables of any lengths, colors and fittings that you could ask for.
While you wait, no less!

It is a fact that I can buy a 12VDC battery which is really 2 x 6VDC under one skin.
However, I can't lift the damn thing. I don't know who can.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for the link. Wonder who sells them in BC. I have been considering adding another unit.
The pellet stove pulls 500W but I'd like some spare juice for coffee, etc.
Expect to budget $500.00 or more.

inthewilderness

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2013
Canada
Robson Valley... I hear you on weight. I favor a 2V cell. I have a 1576AH pack here. Each 2V battery is about 280 pounds. Now imagine taking 12 of them to the airport, loading them on a float plane, flying 100 miles, off loading them, snowmobiling each one up the hill to the house, and then the final act of enjoyment is to lug the brutes into the house. I've babied them for 17 years and they are still going strong. Maximum 20% DOD has made all the difference. Thanks for the feedback! Ron

inthewilderness

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2013
Canada
rik_uk3... Thank you for the feedback. Good find. In all the searching, I couldn't find much for TAB batteries. It's given me a little more confidence in the company. All the best, Ron

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks. "Discover" are the battery brand that I've run for 10+ years. All is well.
I just need to bridge frequent power failures.

Inland, the best place to shop for batteries is a big motor home service center.
Most rigs have all the solar panels on the roof, rare to see.
On the coast, any chandler.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Robson Valley... I hear you on weight. I favor a 2V cell. I have a 1576AH pack here. Each 2V battery is about 280 pounds. Now imagine taking 12 of them to the airport, loading them on a float plane, flying 100 miles, off loading them, snowmobiling each one up the hill to the house, and then the final act of enjoyment is to lug the brutes into the house. I've babied them for 17 years and they are still going strong. Maximum 20% DOD has made all the difference. Thanks for the feedback! Ron
That's a big weight - and there is the worry that a mistake, a drop will crack them.

I thought getting stuff across a field and onto our barge was hard! The hardest thing I had to shift was a boiler, only weighing 90Kg/200lb in its cardboard box. About the size of a small fridge and only me to shift it.

inthewilderness

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2013
Canada
Hello mrcharly,

I have to set the record straight. I misspoke yesterday. This is what happens when one starts to get old. :)

Each battery is about 140 pounds and there are 2 cells to a plywood box. So there were only 6 battery boxes weighing roughly 280 pounds plus the weight of the box that had to be flown in and manhandled, not 12. Sorry about that. Still a brutal endeavor.

I wasn't too concerned with battery cracking since they were in a heavy plywood box with rope handles. It sounds like you have a challenge moving stuff yourself. Nothing is easy, is it? Take care! Ron

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm off the boat these days, though we still own it ('we' own it, but guess who does all the maintenance?).
Were those battery boxes taken in one flight on a float plane? That's some load? I bet the pilot was, um, careful, with their fuel calculations.

inthewilderness

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2013
Canada
Yes, one load. The Twin Otter is a serious bush plane. You can check out inthewilderness.net The first post has a picture of the Twin Otter and under the "Cool Videos" there is a youtube video of float plane travel you might get a kick out of. But it gives you an idea of just how big the plane is.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I like float planes. Twin Otters are huge. When the ice goes out on Lac La Ronge, SK, it's such a busy time swapping skiis and wheels for floats.
Cessna 185 was cool. I flew in Norseman and Beaver, mostly. Don't know where it was from but there was a DC-3 on floats at LaRonge, maybe 1965?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Ron: just had a good look. Fabulous camp you have built. I never got any further north than the Churchill river where I worked for fisheries.

inthewilderness

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2013
Canada
Thank you Robson for the kind words. We are quite proud of our wilderness homestead. The La Ronge area is similar to here but there is more of a mix of poplar south of us. But, since the big fire of 2002, there is a much better balance of pine, spruce, birch and poplar in this area. It's really nice to see the poplar and birch making a strong comeback. Especially in fall. The hill sides are magnificent with the yellow/gold.

It doesn't matter whether 185, Beaver, Single or Twin Otter, man do we love to fly. What an experience it has been for the last 17 years. We've had some wonderful experiences in the bush planes. In my book, I have a chapter devoted to float plane travel. I think you would really get a kick out of it. The title of the chapter is: "Do Bush Planes Serve Pretzels with the In-Flight Movie?" Have a nice day! Ron

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've seen the in-flight movie = "Look Out The Window." It was a best-seller.
Fly north to Missinippe and turn left. On the water, worked out of a 21' Chestnut freighter V stern with a long-shaft 18.

Only batteries we had were a couple of 9V for a puny little transistor radio. We rigged a long snare wire as a coil inductor, got Saskatoon, any time.
Two Coleman lanterns, Coleman stove (white gas) and a big Airtight in the log cabin corner.

I was really glad to get "back on the grid." 5 months was enough white gas and wood smoke for a lifetime.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE