Decisions decisions.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I want to get a lantern that runs on fuel. Ive seen the Vapalux m320. I have also checked out the Coleman duel fuel ones. What are your expirences with these Which is better and why. Thanks for you help in advance.
Thanks
Jacob

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I have the Coleman dual fuel model 229. Reliable, not too fiddly to start, Gives good light. I know nothing about the Vapalux. I use Coleman fuel (naptha).

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I have the Coleman dual fuel model 229. Reliable, not too fiddly to start, Gives good light. I know nothing about the Vapalux. I use Coleman fuel (naptha).

Ok thanks for you help. I will take your view into account when making my purchase.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have both lanterns. The Coleman is much brighter, but run on unleaded, it stinks. The Vapalux is nicer looking with a soft gentle hiss. I'm told the Coleman can be smell free if run on Aspen 4 but I have no experience of doing this.

I use my Vapalux at home because I enjoy the soft light - like perhaps a 40W bulb

Vapalux Lantern 2 by British Red, on Flickr

If I need to work in one of the barns and want a bright white light, I'll break out the Coleman

Red

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I can only comment on the coleman, and red seems to give a good answer above but I'll give my pros and cons of the coleman. Pros, very bright white light, quite light compared to most parafin lamps, fuel doesn't leave things sticky and smelly if spilt (not unleaded), very easy to use, reliable, easy to service, and for me access to a cheap clean fuel source. Cons, made from a steel that corrodes easily (not a problem in use but if you get a second hand one check the bottom is not rusted out likewise dont store on a damp shelf in the shed), got to be v careful with petrol, mantles quite delicate, I don't find the control that good? (seems to work best at full bore or near that, when I dim them sometimes after a little while they just go out), related to above I never get the promised 13 hr burn time I just get the full throttle 6-7 hr.

I can't tell the difference in output between my 2 mantle and 1 mantle so I suggest get the one and there are less mantles to break. Also I found forget the stupid preburn the mantle with a match or lighter which is impossible when out and there is any breeze, just tie the mantle on, reassemble and light the sucker. I havent had to replace a mantle in 18 months now (after saying that I had better go buy some spares now)

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
The Vapalux are virtually bombproof and like BR says, they give out a pleasant ambience. I have an old Coleman, but hardly ever use it as I personally prefer the Petromax style of lantern with the inbuilt rapid preheater, therefore you only need paraffin to run them. If you consider the Petromax style of lantern, research them carefully or buy an old German made one as I understand the current offerings are made in China and suffer from quality control issues.

Anyways, I digress, given the money and the choice between the Coleman and the Vapalux, I'd go with the Vapalux every time.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
P.S. love that pic red thats guaranteed to sell those lamps!

I am no lamp guru - rik-uk3 is my "go to" source of knowledge for all thinks burny. This is a set up he guided me through - I couldn't be more grateful. He and one or two others on here are super knowledgeable on this stuff. I find a set up that works and stop :D

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I have a twin mantle coleman dual-fuel lamp. It kicks out a LOT of light.

You are welcome to try it if you would like. Just need to sort out the transport and I may be able to get it shuffled about the country by the members of the L7C.

Cheers

Grebby

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I have a twin mantle coleman dual-fuel lamp. It kicks out a LOT of light.

You are welcome to try it if you would like. Just need to sort out the transport and I may be able to get it shuffled about the country by the members of the L7C.

Cheers

Grebby
Thats a very kind offer. What do you mean sort out the transport. What is the L7C.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Lotus 7 club.

They have a delivery service initially started by a chap called Nifty. Its called GONADS (Good Old Nifty's Altruistic Delivery Service).
Basically said item gets shuffled across the country via the various club members if they happen to be going in the right(ish) direction.
If you would like a play with the lantern PM me your address and I can pop a post up seeing if it's do-able. There are a lot of members in the SE so you are potentially in a good area.

Cheers

Grebby

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Lotus 7 club.

They have a delivery service initially started by a chap called Nifty. Its called GONADS (Good Old Nifty's Altruistic Delivery Service).
Basically said item gets shuffled across the country via the various club members if they happen to be going in the right(ish) direction.
If you would like a play with the lantern PM me your address and I can pop a post up seeing if it's do-able. There are a lot of members in the SE so you are potentially in a good area.

Cheers

Grebby

If you don't want to go to the hassle of that I'd happily pay the postage. There and back.

I am no lamp guru - rik-uk3 is my "go to" source of knowledge for all thinks burny. This is a set up he guided me through - I couldn't be more grateful. He and one or two others on here are super knowledgeable on this stuff. I find a set up that works and stop :D

Agreed

If it has a tank for fuel, it puts out heat or light and especially if it's brass then Rik will tell you how it works, when and where it was made and what the maker had for breakfast that morning.

He must be on a break because he normally leaps all over threads like this - try sending him a pm.

+1 on the photo Red - you just made me pour myself a Cognac!

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Agreed

If it has a tank for fuel, it puts out heat or light and especially if it's brass then Rik will tell you how it works, when and where it was made and what the maker had for breakfast that morning.

He must be on a break because he normally leaps all over threads like this - try sending him a pm.

+1 on the photo Red - you just made me pour myself a Cognac!

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE