Decided to Man up and get the canoe out in the wind! Very pic intensive.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi all,

After some "ummin n arrin" we decided to ignore the weather forecast and go for a paddle up to Loch trool. I was a little hesitant at first due the weather and the fact my paddle partner had not paddled in a long time but in the end the wind wasnt tooo bad friday and the weather was great on saturday.

We had intended to fish but after contacting the local lodge we were told that the whole loch was private and fishing banned, poor show. Dispite the lack of fishing we had a great time just relaxing and flinging a few arrows. One thing that was a little dissapointing was the fire scar`s dotted about and the mound of rubbish some chimps had left behind. No matter though a few binbags later and it was looking well again. It was nice to just relax and potter about whilst enjoying the views and the sunshine. No midge or ticks about either :)

Our Camp and the boat,
DSC01553.jpg

The view
uploadDSC01554.jpg

The view some more
ULLLLDSC01562.jpg

another
ULLLLLDSC01560.jpg

Yew bow
DSC01577.jpg

Again
DSC01582.jpg

Target (red circle about 30 yards away)
uploadDSC01583.jpg

Lovely view spoilt by some muppets (Before)
DSC01539.jpg

After
DSC01606.jpg

Brew up
DSC01535.jpg

I have loads more but just want to check its ok with my paddle partner to post on here.

Thanks for looking.

Feb 6, 2011
none
Looks a magic spot, lovely pics , well done on the clear up is it unusual to find that sort of thing a fair way off the beaten track ? as those cans are much heavier full .. and can you drink that water ? cheers Ivan ..

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks a magic spot, lovely pics , well done on the clear up is it unusual to find that sort of thing a fair way off the beaten track ? as those cans are much heavier full .. and can you drink that water ? cheers Ivan ..

The water there is crystal clear and i would guess its ok to drink straight off but you never know so we boiled or filtered. No need for a millbank though as it was debris free. In regards to the litter i was a bit shocked too as it is well away from carparks and other chimp haunts but it was there none the less, but its sorted now so all good.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
How did you find the paddling mate, we were on Loch Trool about 3 weeks ago and had a great time paddling down to the bottom of the loch, but boy was it hard work when we turned round and had to paddle the full length of the loch directly into the wind, i tell you if there was a wee gypsy at the side of the loch selling 1hp outboards, i think i would have bought one!

I think the nature of man is such that you can go most places and find rubbish thrown on the ground, what amazes me is everyone i know always takes more rubbish away than they make, so who is making all the mess, i wonder if its just one wee messy dude, who does nothing but travelling the country throwing beer cans to the ground :nono: if so we should hunt the dirty dog down..:BlueTeamE

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very nice mate, D&G is definitely on my list this year, I usually head further north but I need to take a left a Gretna one day.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I was at loch trool for a paddle a couple of weeks ago and it is a lovely loch for the canoe . Just one thing you can buy a day ticket for fishing for a fiver , but i have heard that there is some dispute of who owns the loch ,so maybe the people you called to ask about the fishing are one of the parties involved in that dispute

Jason

Ps good pics and looks like you got some nice weather for your trip

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
How did you find the paddling mate, we were on Loch Trool about 3 weeks ago and had a great time paddling down to the bottom of the loch, but boy was it hard work when we turned round and had to paddle the full length of the loch directly into the wind, i tell you if there was a wee gypsy at the side of the loch selling 1hp outboards, i think i would have bought one!

I think the nature of man is such that you can go most places and find rubbish thrown on the ground, what amazes me is everyone i know always takes more rubbish away than they make, so who is making all the mess, i wonder if its just one wee messy dude, who does nothing but travelling the country throwing beer cans to the ground :nono: if so we should hunt the dirty dog down..:BlueTeamE

The paddle was ok as we had the wind on our backs en route and the next day it was down to a breeze :) I have had my share of "outboard needed" moments in the past though lol ;)
Let me know if you get a lead on the rubbish maker and ill bring me torch and pitch fork:campfire:

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
When we were there 2 weeks ago there wasn't much rubbish laid around. A few fire scars mind bur no real rubbish. Looks like you had a great time, sorry we didn't meet up

atb

Dave

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
how where they at the Lodge? I had a run in with them a few years ago trying to claim paddling wasn't allowed. Sounds like my call to SCA might of worked.

No problem when we were there a few weeks ago, but i have a feeling that they didnt see us, they were to busy counting their money.......

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
We had no hassle from the lodge but we didnt exactly advertise our whereabouts. I found a link on another website which gave us the number of the lodge and that the fishing was £4 per day, when we called we received a definate "no fishing allowed" at all on the loch. :( Shame really.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
I woud'nt have went near the lodge mate , i was fishing and never seen a soul apart from guys that i was with , i caught a nice pike it's a braw water , it's a shame nobody from this neck of the woods met up with u bud ....

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
It's a lovely area isn't it? I walked over The Merrick a few years ago on a day when it would have been really busy in the Lakes, and I only saw a handful of people. Loch Ken is another gem that's becoming more popular with paddlers, although it's still nowhere near as busy as Derwentwater or Coniston Water. D&G is a forgotten area of Britain, with Lakes to the south and The Highlands to the north, but I think that the secret is getting out now.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE