Decent pocketable torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Firstly it has the really annoying magnetic base. Every time I pull it out of my pocket it drags coins, knife etc. with it. Next it uses a proprietary battery I prefer something that uses interchangeable batteries so that I can swap batteries & not have to leave my torch on charge for hours. You can buy CR123 batteries that literally take a micro USB lead directly into the battery, cheaper & more flexible.Lastly the side switch gets bumped by other pocket items, turns the torch on in my pocket & its flat when I need it. A twist switch is much less likely to be accidentally turned on. Please understand I'm not a bushcrafter now, just a smallholder. I use a torch multiple times every day from checking stock in the dark to peering for stuff in unlit barns, so fancy features don't mean much, I just want reliability & functionality without pointless add ons ( like magnetic chargers or strobe lights )

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Non changeable batteries are not for me anymore. I’ve got my wife off disposable vapes and onto a small 18650 unit, and know a guy on another forum who had a Nitecore TiNi that failed and refused to take a charge.
Agreed, built in batteries are a nightmare, I cracked open a number of torches, tooth brushes to be able to change batteries, often the built in batteries are sub par too

Reactions: Billy-o

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
I have a few that I use, but I tend not to git rid of old ones, I still have my first ARC AAA and LS! I find my olight i3eos good, bright enough and simple to use. Also just got a Nebo lil' larry. Mainly for the car, but it's looking useful for all sorts.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
I have a Prometheus copper AAA light. I like it because of how smooth the machining is when turning the head. Bright enough for most things with three practical modes.

For 2 ounces more, I have a Eagletac titanium AA. I keep bank line whipped around it too. That is included in the weight. I usually power it with a 14500 that gives me a blinding 900 lumens, if I want it.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
laptop batteries can be cracked open to provide a load of 18650 batteries
I use them to make DIY battery banks

they go well with this as well

as far as torches go ive heard a lot of complaints recently about olite, the tend to stop working after a while, expensive and then lots of flash sales to get the sales up.

ive been using on the road for years, m3pro is awesome 1000lumens and tiny, CR123
short life but i plugged in to battery bank and used as headtorch on usb cable....

have upgraded to klarus G15 which is awesome, 4000 lumnes and long life. fits great in molle ammo pouch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE