Decent Leatherworking Thread

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi Guys

Ive started getting more into the leatherwork at the mo, I have some supplies that a kind member here donated to me. But was wondering where do you get your threads from and what weights do you use

Ideally i want something that will either be able to be dyed or can be ordered in a few different colours.

I'm looking to do pretty robust stuff to start with so appropriate strength is essential

Any links would be really appreciated

Thanks in advance

Dave

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
If you get artificial sinew you can separate it to the required width. It does dye but the dye will eventually "rub" off to a lighter shade. I'd avoid linen thread as it is week and can degrade. Tiger thread is good. I got a roll of thick easy stitch thread which is excellent.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
This might sound a bit strange, but I use fly line backing!

Available in different colours and breaking strains, I tend to go for 30lbs, and fairly cheap. The last reel I bought was 30lbs, white, 150 metres at 2.99 + P&P. Have a look on e-bay for it!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Linen thread's only weak if you buy poor stuff.
It's a natural fibre, it will rot if you don't care for it properly, but if you're caring for your leatherwork you're caring for the thread too. It will take the same dye that the leather will.
It also has the advantage of not cutting the leather the way that artificial sinew can.......which is basically a nylon thread, oiled and given a fancy name.

I think it's horses for courses, tbh. Use what best suits the job at hand.

If you can find Barbour Campbell or Knox's linen threads ( no longer made in the UK or Ireland :( ) they are truly excellent to work with.

Nowadays Taxidermist suppliers carry suitable good linen thread too, from natural to white, fawn, assorted shades of brown and black.

Artificial sinew comes in assorted colours too though, so even though it doesn't dye well, it can be close enough.

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use arificial sinew for "period" looking stuff and linen thread - which I wax with pure beeswax - for everything else... I have not had a seam failure on any leatherwork ...so far...

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
any kind of linen thread and i wax it with beeswax. never had it break on me from thin to thick

I find linen abraids easier than nylon or polyester threads - and opposite to what Toddy said I find it cuts into the leather more than artificial sinew - given Nylon will stretch with the leather and linen won't. I did use fishing braid once and that was a complete disaster. Despite its 80lb break strain its resistance to abrasion was very poor.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I only use artificial sinew on the soles of my turn-shoes where I don't want stitching that will rot in very wet conditions.

For everything else I use linen thread properly waxed with beeswax.

I've never had problems with thread cutting through leather unless I've done something very wrong with my awl.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE