Decathlon. Yay or Nay?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've used one of their 3x3 tarps for some time and it's performed as good as any other tarp. The only issue with it is small guy points but that's easily modded.

I also use one of their own thermarest style mats and I don't have any complaints about that either

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
A few years ago I read something about them and I can't remember if it was positive or negative. I've searched on here and found a few threads mentioning them positively, so I'll have a look.

I guess it's easy to become a 'label' snob and forget that if it does the job and does it well, it's good enough.

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
Decathlon kit is ok I have used it and no trouble. Big rucksack still going strong and the approach shoes last a good while.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Decathlon IS a french version of Blacks, the stuff is OK, it is very popular here in France. I hate the clothes, they just seem cheap and poorly made and the fabrics are uncomfortable and the few things I have bought have all shrunk in the wash, but the kit is OK and not bad for the price. Put it this way, it is not absolute crap, but it is not fantastic either......

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
After our Khyam Igloo was destroyed in a freak hail storm half way through our Holiday in France a couple of years ago, we went shopping in the nearest town and came away with one of their 3 man pop-up tents. To be fair it stood up to some pretty heavy rain last year in the Alps and only started to get a bit damp inside after about the fourth or fifth day. It was the fabric that was the problem but more a case of bad design, a small area where the poles intersected and the floor met turned out to be a real weak spot. But having paid bottom price for what is effectively a festival tent then I don't think it's been a bad purchase, some clever pitching of a DD tarp soon stopped any more leaks and the rest of holiday was dry anyway.
Can't comment on any of the packs or clothes but as far as their tents go they're okay, not fantastic but not garbage either.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
I live in France and use Decathlon regularly for outdoor and sports stuff. When they started out they carried many branded products, but their policy over the years has been to produce their own brands. I find their stuff patchy, but definitely worth a look. Some of the clothing is very good indeed, some is awful and badly cut and cheap. Sizes are often on the small side, compared to Craghoppers or Regatta... etc. I've been getting T-shirts, jackets and fleeces signed by their hunting brand Solvignac and it seems very good.
They do have a policy for developing new and innivotive products..as far as I know they were the first to produce these 2 minute pop up tents which are just brilliant. My daughter has one we have used for four years now and its still as good as new. They do some really neat and original sleep systems, with all in one bag and materess.
Naturally its all made in China so their quality can be variable as I said. However I did get a Thermarest copy 'Made in France' that is really excellent and reasonabley priced.
cheers
Gareth

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I can't add more than what's already been said, the stuff is OK but they cater more for what I call the "whim buyers" (those that get it into their heads one day to practice an activity but lose interest after a few weeks) rather than the serious outdoor or sports person. My daughter gets some of her horsey stuff from there, & my wife has a mountain bike which has held up reasonably well over the last 15 years or so.. The last sentence written by Lune pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I can vouch for the following Quecha (keshawa) products that I have had for a few years.

Tarp, Base Pop up tent, 2sec pop up tent, Ice climbing trousers, Bionnasay mountain tent.

Only problrm was the alu poles failing after 5 years in the tent, but deacthlon replaced them free of charge, did not even have my reciept.

Nick

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
Some of their deals can be good on things like Fleeces, the only problem I've had (and I have bought a lot off them) was when I tried to exchange some faulty gloves (on the day I bought them) they were horrendous and very rude but did it in the end.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
For many of their items, they are exceptional value. Some stuff is garbage, though. The pop-up tents are awesome! There - I said it! "I like pop-up tents". Feel like I should be at some sort of therapy group now saying 'My name is MikeyP and I ... choke ... quite like pop-up tents ... sob'

A lot of the basic clothing is very good - the softshell winter walking/climbing trousers are fantastic, waterproofs are ok, camping basics are ok. Things like sleeping bags, rucksacks and inflatable mats are generally a step up from those you get from Tesco (Ultralite down sleeping bag excepted, of course) but mainly not as good as the brand names. The bike repair stands and a lot of the cycling kit is pretty good. They do some really good own-brand climbing stuff like rope bags and some of the clothing.

I always pop in and have a look if I'm passing The Fort in Glasgow, it's nice for a wander even if you don't buy anything.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have a good tent bought in Perpignan branch. I agree with most of the above that they are patchy in quality but they are better than Blacks. They try to cater for too wide a clientèle and tend to be trendy. I go to my local branch in Perpignan to pick up the odd bargain and while away a happy hour or two when the weather is bad.

yungmannfuzz

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2011
NI
Got a couple of fleeces, and when you think that they are £5 or so each, thats pretty good. They have worn well too.

Also got a head torch, which isnt adjustable, but comfy, bright, and cheap!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE