Death of Bee's = Death of Bushcraft??

If this new Bee virus from accross the atlantic manages to get here it could potentially desimate our already low bee population.

This would mean thousands of plants not being pollinated and dying off.

ecosystems and food chains would be damaged, even wiped out.

The face of Britan's countryside could change forever.

any thoughts of the impact this would have on bushcraft?
would it make bushcraft no longer possible?
:eek:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
As I understand it, without bees the human race would only have four years left, so bushcraft would be the least of my worries.

rancid badger

ok,so all the bee's die off, wouldn't other species of insect take over, more or less where the bee's left off?

Mind you, what would we do for bees wax!:bluThinki

:confused:

please note: I know very little about bee's but am willing to learn as long it does not involve being stung.
regards
R.B.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The bees pollinate a large percentage of flowers, including I believe some trees. So without them, we're screwed! On the plus side, at least the planet won't get any more polluted from carbon emmissions!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Viruses rarely kill entire populations so I'd imagine that though numbers may well be vastly reduced, those that were immune would take over. Nature abhors a vacuum as they say, something always fills available niches - of course it may take too long for that to happen in which case as a species we'll be lucky to see it.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I found this article the other day, it seems that, like with most environmental damage, this one is also probably caused by our own behaviour.

An interesting hypothesis to the collapse of the bee populations all over the world, and the threat this poses to our food supply.

Blaming our cell phones, electronic gadgets, and transmission towers for the mass decline in the bee population seems unbelievable, but that is indeed what some scientists are proposing. Apparently bees are particularly sensitive to electric fields - they carry an electrical charge naturally. Is it possible we've hit a tipping point with respect to the amount of electric fields in the atmosphere, and now the bees are dying out? The stats are astounding - 60% of commercial bees in western North America, 70% in eastern North America, and colony collapse has also been reported in Germany, Spain, Greece, England, Switzerland and Italy. Beekeepers say that the bees leave the colony and simply don't return. There is no doubt about the decline in the bee populations - the question that needs to be answered very urgently is why? Other theories include GMO foods, pesticide and herbicide use among others.

Albert Einstein suggested that if the bees disappear, humankind has only about 4 or 5 years left, because bees are responsible for most of the pollination of the plants. Once the plants are no longer viable, we've lost our food supply. Hopefully Einstein is wrong, and we have enough other pollinators to do the job should the bees not survive.

If we find out that electric fields are indeed what is causing the collapse of the world's bees, would you be willing to give up your electronic gadgets in order to be able to eat? How likely is it that transmission towers would be dismantled if it became clear that our lives depended on it, considering how slowly governments / companies / individuals are moving on climate change?

bee world

Apart from a few nice buildings, what have humans contributed, beneficially, to the Earth's ecosystems, I wonder?

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
This is indeed serious. But I don`t think it is the end of the world. After all I live in an environment where there are no bees. Still we have trees, grass, flowers and so on.
The world has always changed. Other species will most likely fill the gap after a while.

Tor

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Blaming our cell phones, electronic gadgets, and transmission towers for the mass decline in the bee population seems unbelievable, but that is indeed what some scientists are proposing.

Ahem.... No, it's not - it's what some journalists are making up:

In April 2007, news of a University of Landau study appeared in major media, beginning with an article in The Independent that stated that the subject of the study was mobile phones and had related them to CCD. Cellular phones were implicated by other media reports, but were in fact not covered in the study, and the researchers have since emphatically disavowed any connection between their research, cell phones, and CCD, specifically indicating that the Independent article had misinterpreted their results and created "a horror story".

The 2006 University of Landau pilot study was looking for non-thermal effects of radio frequency ("RF") on honey bees (Apis mellifera carnica) and suggested that when bee hives have DECT cordless phone base stations embedded in them, the close-range electromagnetic field ("EMF") may reduce the ability of bees to return to their hive; they also noticed a slight reduction in honeycomb weight in treated colonies. In the course of their study, one half of their colonies broke down, including some of their controls which did not have DECT base stations embedded in them.

The team's 2004 exploratory study on non-thermal effects on learning did not find any change in behavior due to RF exposure from the DECT base station operating at 1880-1900 MHz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_Collapse_Disorder

Unfortunately, once this sort of error gets into the media, it just runs and runs...

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
...Albert Einstein suggested that if the bees disappear, humankind has only about 4 or 5 years left...

Just goes to show never ask a theoretical physicist about Bees!!! [einstein voice]Jah, it iz zee end ov ze vorld, don't you know[/einstein voice]

(N.B: No offence to German speakers or Einstein's relatives ;) )

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Did you hear about the bee keeper who's bees kept dieing? Well he called a vet, who recommended getting a Biologist in.

The Biologist took a few bees away and examined them, but sadly could not out why they were dieing. So she recommended a Chemist came in.

The Chemist turned up and took samples of local food plants, droppings, wax the whole works in fact! But sadly could not find out why the bees where all dieing. So he recommended a Physisist came in.

The Physisist arrived and without even looking at the hives, sat under a tree near the stream, drawing on his pad. After about two hours he jumped up and shouted "I've got it, but it only works for sperical bees in a vacuum!"

Sorry, I'll go now ....

Simon

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
There are currently many theories as to why Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) has been happening in the US - the prevalent ones are radio waves (disproved), new-generation pesticides/herbicides/GM crops (possible), and viral agents (also possible).

In the UK we will find out in a few weeks what the winter survival rate has been - most likely there will be a high level of colony loss over winter due to a poor summer (leading to weaker colonies) and a variable winter (if its too warm, the bees come out too early and waste energy). No doubt this will be cited as CCD by all the major newspapers, when in fact regular colony losses are common when the weather has been as unusual as this last year has been.

Bees are having a tough time of it at the moment, mostly due to the varroa mite - although there are early indications that work with resistant colonies may be successful in the next few years.

With regards to the dangers of losing bees, pretty much all fruit (and most vegetable) crops rely on bees for pollination in the US and Europe - in 2004 the value of bees to fruit growers in the UK alone was estimated to be around £200 million. So we're right to be worried about anything that affects them!

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
at my work we've just lost 5 out of seven active hives, as well as blaming CCD there are other potential causes such as last summers pitiful weather disrupting the breeding season of our queens.

If its any consolation, at one of the recent Edinburgh Beekeepers meetings a quick survey showed that most beekeepers in the area had lost between 30% to 60% of their hives this year. Almost everyone blamed the weather, with several keepers saying they had seen signs of unfertilised queens leading hives, as the breeding period had been very wet and windy. (For non-beekeepers, a queen mates only once in her life, in a short period when she first leaves the hive in spring. If she doesn't mate she can't lay worker eggs, and the hive population 'disappears').

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I wrote an article on this in 2006. I was astonished to find that bumblebees were reared for commercial pollination. Had no idea. Things are worse since then from what I read. I find this all very depressing :(

Disappearing bees may make us hungry
August 7th, 2006

The humble bee, regular visitor to summer gardens, is threatened by changing environments and disease with potentially significant implications to our food chain. Bees are the ultimate pollinators of many of the plants we rely on for food. Some sources suggest that a third of the vegetables and fruits humans consume are pollinated by these tiny creatures. As they decline in numbers, so does plant health, with uncertain knock-on effects.

Things are not what they appear

At face value, everything seems rosy. The European honey bee dutifully carries out important work on our behalf through the careful siting of hives close to outdoor crops by the many beekeepers across the UK (around 44,000 of them maintaining close to 274,000 colonies). Honey bees increasingly pollinate wild plants as wild bee numbers fluctuate. At the same time, various species of bumblebee are commercially reared to pollinate greenhouse crops like tomatoes. Defra estimates that the economic value of commercial, bee pollinated UK crops is £120m-£200m per year, whilst the value of honey production is as much as £30m per year.

The threats to bees

Increasingly however, the hard working honey bee is threatened by disease and a lack of funding. The British Bee Keepers Association (BBKA) indicates that the Government has threatened to deregulate European Foul Brood (EFB) by reducing the number of inspections. EFB is a disease of the honey bee larvae which can spread rapidly. It causes considerable damage and is difficult to eradicate without regular inspections. The BBKA have campaigned hard to avoid cuts in bee health initiatives. They appear to have won some battles but the war against cutting suitable governance measures to control the disease continues.

To make matters worse, many of the reared bumblebees are in fact imported and could decimate natural populations if their use is not strictly governed and controlled. There are examples from across the World. New Scientist recently reported that non-native bumblebees have escaped and bred in Chile and Japan. Quoting a source at Queen Mary, University of London, they confirmed that escaped commercial bees could survive in the UK countryside and were larger and more aggressive foragers than native bees. The invaders also produce more queens capable of creating new hives. Japan has already imposed harsh restrictions on bee importation, the UK has not.

Upsetting nature

When it comes to pollination, one might suppose that imported bees were just as capable as native species. But as is often the case, nature doesn’t offer quite so convenient a solution. In a huge new study recently published by the journal Science, the diversity of bees and wild flowers are inextricably linked. Researchers noted that numerous plants need particular bees for pollination. The authors suspect that intensive farming and pesticides, and the loss of wild habitats, are reducing the numbers of bees and flowers. They studied more than a million records collected over the last century in the UK and Netherlands and found that the diversity of bees had fallen in an astonishing 80% of wildflower sites over the last 25 years.

If our native bee species decline the implications on food production could ultimately be drastic. The Bumblebee Conservation Trust reports that fewer queens are foraging in spring and native plants are setting less seed. This could result in sweeping changes to the countryside and there are indications that food crops will ultimately be affected. And of course, a significant variety of wildlife that is equally dependent on these plants might also share our hunger.

On-line sources
  • University of Southampton Press Release dated 23rd May 2006, about the creation of the Bumblebee Conservation Trust, visited on 4th August 2006
  • The Bumblebee Conservation Trust, visited on 4th August 2006
  • New Scientist Online, article titled “The Plight of the Native Bumblebee“, visted on 4th August 2006
  • New Scientist Short Sharp Science Blog, visited on 4th August 2006
  • The British Beekeepers Association, visited on 4th August 2006
  • Natural History Museum, visited on 4th August 2006
  • English Nature, visited on 4th August 2006
  • Defra website, section on Bee Health, visited on 4th August 2006

Tonedef

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Stockport
Human may, no will wipe ourselves out, the world will continue living.
We are here but for a very short time, look at dinosaurs.

If bees die out, as said before other insects will take their place.
As also pointed out before a virus will not kill all bees, just think of what was said about AIDS in the 80's.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
If its any consolation, at one of the recent Edinburgh Beekeepers meetings a quick survey showed that most beekeepers in the area had lost between 30% to 60% of their hives this year. Almost everyone blamed the weather, with several keepers saying they had seen signs of unfertilised queens leading hives, as the breeding period had been very wet and windy. (For non-beekeepers, a queen mates only once in her life, in a short period when she first leaves the hive in spring. If she doesn't mate she can't lay worker eggs, and the hive population 'disappears').

Yeah man, it was some kind words from the illustrious secretary of the very same organisation that pointed me towards the bad weather/ no breeding phenomenon. :) Interestingly the two hives which have survived were ones we split last year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE