• Neutral

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I was not aware of this

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Man takes what man needs

Votes: 9 9.3%

• Total voters

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
In my experiance, certainly in the wooded areas I use there is no way I could make a significant impact on any habitat due to burning windfall wood, there is so much of the stuff, and as long as the collection is over a wide area, I dont think there is a problem

Cheers

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Adi Fiddler said:
no one said the BTCV hand books was the gospel and i never said that you should never remove dead wood. What i did say though is that dead wood is critical and should only be taken in moderation, the same as any other resource available to bushcraft.

Jon and i both posted links to show people that there is an issue with removing to much dead wood and as Bam has said and many of us have experienced there are many woods with out any dead wood in it thanks to campers and the like.

Sorry, i didn't mean it in a derogetory sense, I still refer to the BTCV handbooks from time to time, in the world of joe public a little information sometimes goes a long way, when we're thinning throughout the winter months we still get people calling us tree killers and vandals. Tony is quite right in saying that in general bushcrafters are more in tune with the environment, and that we are all still learning. If you ever get the chance drop by mine and il'e show you around one of our woodlands, there's allways room for more dead wood, but dont be affraid to take it in moderation. ;)

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Jon Pickett said:
The dead wood in the woods is a habitat for many species of insects and many birds depend on it for food, but we as bushcrafters use this wood as a source of fuel for our fires. Does this bother you in any way.............Jon
More info here http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/advice/woodpeckerdeadwood/other_wildlife.asp
I feel I need to add that this comes from an arguement I was having with another member of the volunteer group I am in, who does not think that bushcrafters are all that good as far as nature goes.

Non issue where I live. There is so much dead wood on the ground - I have no problem with collecting it for firewood.

In heavily used areas of the BWCA, you are advised to gather your firewood well away from your campsite. As I seldom use the heavily traveled areas - I don't have much problem with this.

I've never been to europe, but my folks have and they tell me most of the forests are more like parks. In Germany, especially, they said the foresters must go around and pick up every dead branch that falls to the ground. They said our parks should look so clean.

PG

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I think the key is to take only what you need, wander in all directions, so as not to strip just one area and be selective in what you take.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Somebody must have voted, as this thread has been bumped. I somehow misse this thread, but I see no harm in taking hanging branches that have snapped off higher up and are caught in lower branches. If you see forestry work going on and they leave loads of freshly trimmed branches, take some and use them. Maybe even stick some up a tree out of the way for next time. If they are off a main path, they won't be disturbed.

Saying that, the last few times I've been out, I have done what Wayland has been doing for years. No, not growing my hair, but using pinecones. This is a much under estimated resource, once they have done their job of scattering seeds, they make really good fuel. If you get the typical pine cone with thick tines or whatever they are called, they burn good and hot, will boil your billy in no time and are in vast numbers on the forest floors.

Don't use the long banana type pine cones, they are always wet and don't burn very well at all. This is one reason I never tried to use pine cones before, kids chucked one on the fire and nearly smoked me out. Wayland made a two minute camp cooker at Delamere from an old cooking oil drum, filled it with pine cones and cooked pork and apple sausages for us, they were wrapped in those tortilla thingies, and tasted great! All thanks to the humble pine cone.

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
I am not afraid to use to use dead wood, I have to much, it is what I heat the house with. I manage our woodlot, I only harvest what I need for winter, if the wood on the ground is getting thin, I will harvest some of the coppice's for next year or will drop a tree that needs to be dropped.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've been banging on about pine cones for yonks and I keep expecting someone to say.... "What about the squirrels that eat the pine cones?"

I don't think there is any truly zero impact fuel source, with the possible exception of the sun, but I think the only losers with the pine cone solution is to make the grey tree rats have to work a bit harder.

I don't have a problem with that.....

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
We always used pinecones (from scots pines) for the family bbq when I was growing up.
My sister and I were sent off into the woods at the bottom of our garden to collect them in the mornings and we bbq'd with them that night.

The ones we collected where the dry dead brown open ones which have already realsed their nuts (which is what the squirrels are after) so taking them is as far as I can see totally harmless :D

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Whatever we do it will effect the enviroment somehow, even sitting at home watching t.v. Making fire's is difficult enough in this country without worrying about picking up dead wood, sure people would complain if you started chopping down the living stuff.
As i don't carry an axe when bushcrafting here it does mean that i have to use the detrious on the ground, but prefer to pick up recycled wood bit's if i can, looted a farmers bonfire leftovers not long ago but had to give it all a bash as i didnt want the bug's from it inside my sac, the destroyer of homes that i am :lmao:
Sure campsites that allow fires have been stripped of all dead wood, thats why they stock pile the stuff to sell to the punters. But as most large forest area's don't allow fire's im sure that the little bug's have plenty to live in?

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Yes it does matter if we took lots but the small amount we use will not make a difference . I was more suprised as to who is able to get permission to light fires for the most part I use scout camps and the wood is in the form of pallets or builders waste little is natural or its on the coast and is in the form of drift wood .

Risclean

Forager
Feb 28, 2007
North Highlands
Removing fallen wood is likely to interfere with nutrient cycling.
The removal of brash from felling operations to use as woodfuel has lead to concern about nutrient depletion of forest soils. A lot of research has been carried out in this area.
Most UK woodland is considered to have very low amounts of deadwood.
It is important to bear in mind that living trees are only one part of woodland ecosystems.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Wayland said:
I've been banging on about pine cones for yonks and I keep expecting someone to say.... "What about the squirrels that eat the pine cones?"

I don't think there is any truly zero impact fuel source, with the possible exception of the sun, but I think the only losers with the pine cone solution is to make the grey tree rats have to work a bit harder.

I don't have a problem with that.....
What do squirrels burn like?

xylaria

Risclean said:
Removing fallen wood is likely to interfere with nutrient cycling.
The removal of brash from felling operations to use as woodfuel has lead to concern about nutrient depletion of forest soils. A lot of research has been carried out in this area.
Most UK woodland is considered to have very low amounts of deadwood.
It is important to bear in mind that living trees are only one part of woodland ecosystems.

I thought this was due the deadwood been removed by poor forestry practice, not due to burning the wood on site on leaving the ash. Ash has very high levels of minerals which benefits many plants and fungi. You cant lump bushcraft practice in with commercial woodfuel industry. I burn dead wood, as it doesn't smoke. If the dead wood has started to used by detritavores or colonized by mosses it is not good to burn as it makes smoke and spits(woodlice explode :( ). The thing I like about bushcraft is that we are also become part the ecosystem not passive observers.

Gailainne

Life Member
Interesting comment Xylaria, I was always under the impression that burning wood concentrated the minerals etc in the ash, which means the habitat gets the benefit that much quicker, although you can argue the bacteria and fungi miss out.

I think my stance on this is "do things in moderation". I understand now why so many of the people who turned up at Delamere packed in firewood.

Something I will take into account when planning a trip from now on, but I must be honest I have'nt been in a forest yet up here where there was'nt an abundance of dead wood both standing and windfallen, along with the everpresent but until recently overlooked pine cones ;)

Stephen

xylaria

There are a few species of fungi that only grow on fire sites, of the species i can think of they are quite rare. Also I think cider orchards are dressed with wood ash on during winter festivals I dont know if is 'one of dem country things oo arrrghh!' or recycling phosphorus.

Moderation is key thing though. We do bring our own wood if we are have a bonfire etc. But I can make a cuppa with sticks. It is very dependant on your environment as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE