DD tarp Loops help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Hi all

I received today a DD tarp I ordered on Monday, (3x3) on inspection I found 6 of the attachment loops had been cut off. On ringing the shop I was informed that's how the tarps come now, with 13 rather the the previous 19 loops. I was wondering if anyone else had found this to be the case, or if I'm being fobbed off. Either way I'm not hugely impressed, as the shops website and even the DD bag the tarp comes in lists 19 attachment points and this was one of the reasons I bought this tarp.

Any advice or experience would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Mat

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
They had a problem with the tarps ripping when anchored using the tie offs,the solution was to cut off the loops so that you cant tie to them.This seems to have stopped the tarps ripping.
It does seem as if they are pulling a fast one.The tarp is made with 19 loops as shown on the bag but by the time you get it it has been altered,I would think that makes it either second hand or sold in very misleading circumstances.
Contact them again as ask why they've been cut off.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I bought the DD Multicam 3x3 tarp last year and it was the same. I'd heard (on the hammocking forum) it was because they were ripping.

The bag still said 19 loops although I'm sure the website had a note on the page stating that it was only 13 loops at the time I bought it.

It is a bit of a nuisance sometimes as I'd like to use the flying diamond setup but gather the ends in slightly to lessen the chance of wind/rain coming in the ends. It's also a tad untidy the way they've been removed although I suppose they've made a large bundle of them up in advance (maybe they should have sold the batch off a a bit of a reduction until they got the redesigned stock in)

It's worth giving them a ring as I've always found them to be approachable, helpful and (most importantly) honest/upfront.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I bought the multicam in the latest group buy . Again loops cut, I echo others views re, they should have been sold off cheap and only send out newest ones with no untidy cut loops. Better to have the loops missing altogether than half a loop ?

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I dont suppose these loops are the ones along the straight edge? Basicaly just a reinforced tape with a slit in? If so i lost both of mine in the first outing.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
This is somewhat disturbing as I had a project in mind using two 3 x 3 DD's. It's bad enough that these are being sold with cut loops, but if they are tearing when the loops are in place, it's making me think they are too delicate for my project anyway!

Can anyone supply a photo of the cut loops or at least identify which loops are being cut.

Really beginning to think that I need to look to a heavier weight alternative and build it from the ground up rather than trying to modify something that has a reputation for ripping!

Cheers

Ogri the trog

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The loops that are being cut off are the side loops that run parallel to the ridge line .It seems to me that the weave is weaker on that side in the direction of pull on the side loops and that is what is causing them to tear.
Easy solution to a problem?Cut off the offending part and render the tarp as good as useless unless used as an "A" set up.

garethw

Settler
The olive green tarps are sold with all loops reinforced... I got on of the Multicam ones before the cutting of loops, and a new style olive. I'd suggest those wanting a tarp with all its loops check out the green ones.
cheers
Gareth

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Thanks everyone for the input and advice. :)

I decided to take the advice and give DD a call (well email). I explained the situation and within an hour had a reply from them offering to exchange the tarp for one of the green one with (as mentioned above) the reinforced loops on the side, I just have to pay the £6.00 difference, and the postage. From what it shows on the site the new side loops look like they should be pretty sturdy. I still feel £29 is a bit much for a crudely modified tarp, but all in all I'm happy with the outcome. And really commend DD's customer service

b0d73b3a.jpg

4a2c8e9f.jpg

Thanks again

Mat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE