DD Super light Tarp.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Firstly apologies if the pictures don't upload very well. I use my Ipad and Tapatalk and although they look good on the IPad they never seem to upload well.

Anyway I have wanted a Superlight Tarp to go with the Superlight hammock I bought some weeks ago. I wanted a light set up that packed small that I could use for day hikes and for when I go abroad. I rarely go out in heavy weather so this kit was really just for day hikes.

The Tarp had been out of stock for a while but a nice email on Friday from DD informed me that it would be back in stock on Monday so I placed an order. I was a bit surprised when the postman dropped it off this morning. So a big thank you to DD for being so quick but in my experience this is typical of DD's service.

Initial reactions were exactly as I imagined small, compact and very light. Especially when compared to my existing DD 3x3 tarp.

yha4ube7.jpg

The tarp comes with the usual leaflet. What I did like was that the badge was sewed on the carry bag rather than printed.

9y2ume5u.jpg

It comes with pegs and guy ropes ( no Ridgeline ) these I discarded as is won't be using them.

tagy3asa.jpg

I have changed my set up for this tarp to go with the light theme and also I wanted to be able to set up the tarp very quickly. I am using a dymeena Ridgeline 6 m with a Caribiner at one end, a Ize figure of 9 at the other to get the taughtness and two figure of nines instead of Prussik knots to tighten the tarp to the Ridgeline. On the dymeena I find the Prussik knots slip. The Caribiner and figure of 9's mean that I can set the tarp up very quickly.

gupumu2e.jpg

The pegs I bought of eBay, I believe they are an Alpkit clone but are very strong. The guy lines are also dymeena but thinner. I have loops at the peg end for ease of pulling them out of the ground.

So off to find some trees and have a look at the tarp.

e2urupa8.jpg

The quality is excellent and it is very light as they state. A good size at 3x2.9. It's roomy underneath. The stitching is excellent and each tab is stitched and secured with a black rubberised material which feels strong enough to hold the tabs without fear of ripping. One small observation I would have preferred the Ridgeline tabs to be shorter they are about 6 inches. I thinks 3 would be more than enough.

muju9ezy.jpg

The seam runs along the top and is well sealed I am confident the tarp will be fully waterproof. It will certainly keep out any showers I might encounter. All in all I am really pleased. The tarp is all that I wanted and the quality is as I expected. It's Superlight and packs down very small. I have attatched some figure of 9's to each corner with some shock cord so there is some give to the tarp in the wind. If you want a light tarp that packs down small you would have to go along way to find a better one. Some may baulk at the price £62 delivered but for me it does exactly what I wanted it to do. Here's some further pics to show my set up.

punu3aga.jpg

aqymebu6.jpg

Figure of 9's instead of prussiks

agenuryr.jpg

Loops in the pegs for ease of pulling.

9a7ubudy.jpg

Shock cord on each corner. When using figure of 9's I always secure with a quick release half hitch.

uvu6abe7.jpg

Finally I have changed the storeage bag to a bishops bag. I find it easier to set up with and I don't like to pack my tarps too tightly.

ysasumam.jpg

On the third attempt I managed to set the tarp up in just about a minute. This means that if a quick shower starts I can get shelter quickly, providing of course I have a couple of trees.

Thanks for looking and thank you to DD for developing a great product.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like a nice tarp. I like your set up, just the thing for sudden downpours.

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Thankyou for the review, I've been interested to see more of the super light range...

Now, can you tell me if you can pitch the 3x2.9 in the tent type setup as is possible with the 3x3??

Cheers,
Lewis

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Thankyou for the review, I've been interested to see more of the super light range...

Now, can you tell me if you can pitch the 3x2.9 in the tent type setup as is possible with the 3x3??

Cheers,
Lewis

If you mean like a simple a frame yes you can. Sandbag posted a picture of an A frame set up with his. Can't seem to find a way to post a link using Tapatalk. It was in my Superlight hammock review.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good to see the pack size next to the 3x3, I look forward to hearing how folk get on with the new Superlight range

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE