DD Scout Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zeph

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2009
Manchester
Hi,

Has anyone any experience with the DD scout hammock ?

I'm really keen to try out a hammock but a little reluctant to shell out £40 for something that I might not like, so the scout version looks ok and for £14 not a bad price.

I'm 5' 10" and 13 stone will it be too small / cramped

Thanks for any advice

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Yes, it will be too small. I've got one for my 11 year old daughter and it's fine for her. I'm 6'1" and it is far too small for me.

Martin

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
Where would you get a GB Hammock? Or at least get some info/pictures on one, as I'm planning on upgrading from my ultralight Tenth Wonder hammock. It does the job and wins on size/weight, but the fact I got annoyed one night and split the seam, so I could put my thermarest inside the two layers to stop it escaping, kind of wrecked it after a few more uses...lesson learned..

I've been thinking about getting a DD Scout (I'm pretty small, hence being able to get away with an ultralight for so long), but any other suggestions would be greatfully received. Small, light and pre-split are prerequisites :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Where would you get a GB Hammock? Or at least get some info/pictures on one, as I'm planning on upgrading from my ultralight Tenth Wonder hammock. It does the job and wins on size/weight, but the fact I got annoyed one night and split the seam, so I could put my thermarest inside the two layers to stop it escaping, kind of wrecked it after a few more uses...lesson learned..

I've been thinking about getting a DD Scout (I'm pretty small, hence being able to get away with an ultralight for so long), but any other suggestions would be greatfully received. Small, light and pre-split are prerequisites :)
If this link works

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40509

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell

Joy,

I'll stick Allie's Scout Hammock in my bag at the end of the month. Have a look at that and see what you think.

Martin

Hi Zeph
i'm 5' 10' and 12 stone 8 and i have no problems with the scout hammock from DD, i even bought it based on same reasoning you did and i must say i love it, if i had one gripeits that i cant get a self inflating mattress to stay in the area it is intended for but i dont find it too small or cramped

regards
Sam

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
Lurch stocks them at Lakeland bushcraft

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Hammocking.html

It's the Nomads Land XXL

I've had a quick shufti, thanks for the links.

I'd be interested to find out from anyone who has used/owns one how they get on with the metal hooks? It seems a little like you could quite easily end up with the hooks detaching from the tree ropes/tapes? I'm quite a wriggler you see, and don't fancy the thought of suddenly ending up on the floor :) Having said that, they do bend back quite far, so I guess once you are in the hammock your body weight would make it almost impossible for the ropes to ride up the hooks to the point of coming loose.

I currently have screw krabs on the go on my tenth wonder, it just seems a bit more secure than the hooks. Any thoughts?

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
Having read through a couple more threads, I've just found this quote from British Red:

The cords on each end of the hammock are gathered in a metal hook when the hammock is supplied. I have removed these and replaced with (proper climbing strength) screw gate karabiners. I find these more secure and very easy to unclip if I want to add the mozzy net after slinging the hammock for example.

That sorts me :)

Zeph

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2009
Manchester
Thanks for all the replies !

I've decided to give the scout hammock a try, for the price it's worth it even just for garden use.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I just bought a DD camping hammock. Wasnt to sure when setting it up but i think i got it up ok.

How could you attach an external mossie net to it, with use with a tarp. Bugs are still itching me

Howabout buying cheap army moz net then add a bungee, very thin so it clings ubder the hammock, being hung from the rideg line away from your face.

Nick

Zeph

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2009
Manchester
Well i received my scout hammock a few days ago, and first impressions were great, I found it comfortable and easy to set up, unfortunately after just a few hours of use in the garden the stitching has started to come apart where the opening is between the 2 layers.

This kind of put me off spending a night in it, and has now been stolen by my 13 year old son. So i'm on the lookout for another slightly larger hammock (Whens the next GB ?)

On a plus though I managed to pick up a decathlon tarp yesterday and i'm really impressed with it also the weather has been perfect for getting aquainted with the different ways of setting it up.

Zeph

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2009
Manchester
I should point out that I bought the hammock on ebay and not from DD's website, I have emailed the seller to let him/her know of my experience.

They have over 3000 positive feedback, from what I have read on different websites DD sell an excellent product, I am not trying to put down the company, just pointing out my experience, and I am at the upper end of the specified weight / size for the hammock i bought.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE