DD Hammocks 3mx4.5m tarp review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
funnily enough..... link A real nice but heavyweight tarp really liked the material!

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks Chainsaw and all. Are you in tree related work with a username like that? I'm an arborist and tree surgeon but I digress.

That big tarp looks the business to me. I can see that I'm not going to hike miles with it, but it's big enough for 2 or 3 for a weekender and would shelter a couple of hammocks. Material looks sturdy, I imagine the DD being made out of thin fly sheet material but I may be wrong.

It's difficult choosing stuff from pics, you really need to see it. I had loads of trouble choosing which MaxP bag to get and luckily went for a big one as they must use midgets as models.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Nope, no tree related activity from me at apart from sleeping between a couple of them :D Never owned nor used a chainsaw (and I don't snore!! ;))

The DD material is pretty good, not 'floaty light' at all, it's the same as the 3x3 material and good quality. It's always a compromise between weight for carrying and the heaviness of the material but I don't think DD have gone too down the ultralite path. I wouldn't want to hump the andywink BA tarp very far from the car or canoe at all but the DD one packs down into an amazingly small package!

Cheers,

Alan

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Just my 2p worth.

Have a look at the Hilleberg XP. A bit shorter, considerably narrower, but correspondingly lighter. Pricier, yet greener.

Stuff sack built into corner.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Looking at getting one of these just now. I was thinking of the Alpkit Rig21 but really can't justify the extra cost. Would have been better with extra attachment points in the 'thirds' but I'm sure this can be worked around or modded.

Anyone know where the full review has been stashed?

Sanji

Forager
Oct 20, 2006
Oban, Scotland
I just ordered my brother one of the 4.5x3m tarps from DD, to go with his new DD hammock. We opened it up in the living room (tried lol) could hide an army under it lol. looking forward to see him testing it out :D very light too and packs very well ;)

Aug 6, 2010
Norfolk
I have just taken ownership of one of these fantastic tarps and have got it up over my polish poncho tent using the ridge line method. Just wondering whether there are some good resources for beginners here on the forum and pictures for ideas, guys and other fittings that come in handy. Cheers,

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
One of the best resources I found when starting to use tarps as opposed to the old issue poncho was the tarp and hammock tutorial found here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53500

I can't fault the setup in any way and I'm yet to better it really. The only thing I do differently is set my tarp up like this when I require full side protection:

IMG_0102.jpg

I use a 5 mm bungee as the only guys (one on each side). As you can see from the photo, it creates a wider area in the middle of the tarp which I find useful for getting in and out on my hammock, although this may not be of use to yourself when using the poncho tent.

IMG_0104.jpg

This one shows the inside of the tarp (albeit with the hammock obscuring most of the view) but you get the idea with regards to the wider central area, and how it benefits hammock dwellers like myself.

IMG_0097.jpg

Finally, in comparison the the DD 3x3m tarp; currently sported by Oakhill Wanderers setup on the left.

Sorry about the quality of the pics (courtesy of the carp camera on the Iphone :( )

In my opinion, if there's only one thing that will make your setup easier; it's the Prussik knot. It's simple and highly effective for keeping the tarp taught along the ridge line.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
One of the best resources I found when starting to use tarps as opposed to the old issue poncho was the tarp and hammock tutorial found here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53500

I can't fault the setup in any way and I'm yet to better it really. The only thing I do differently is set my tarp up like this when I require full side protection:

View attachment 2977

I use a 5 mm bungee as the only guys (one on each side). As you can see from the photo, it creates a wider area in the middle of the tarp which I find useful for getting in and out on my hammock, although this may not be of use to yourself when using the poncho tent.

View attachment 2978

This one shows the inside of the tarp (albeit with the hammock obscuring most of the view) but you get the idea with regards to the wider central area, and how it benefits hammock dwellers like myself.

View attachment 2979

Finally, in comparison the the DD 3x3m tarp; currently sported by Oakhill Wanderers setup on the left.

Sorry about the quality of the pics (courtesy of the carp camera on the Iphone :( )

In my opinion, if there's only one thing that will make your setup easier; it's the Prussik knot. It's simple and highly effective for keeping the tarp taught along the ridge line.

I hope this helps.

Steve

What about the views though Steve, I think that was one of the reasons I switched to hammock and tarps, waking up in a morning and being able to see the woods around you.

piglet1

May 7, 2010
Bath
Been trying out one off DD scout hammocks today ,nice and simple to use and couldunt get me little girl out of it ,best buy another I suppose. Top notch kit

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hey Farmer Fred - do you have a piccie of your polish tent with tarp? Was wondering how to create a porch with my PPT! Thanks!

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
What about the views though Steve, I think that was one of the reasons I switched to hammock and tarps, waking up in a morning and being able to see the woods around you.

The views do suffer with this configuration, but two of the main areas I use suffer from side-wind at times, so I've got used to doing it this way. When I know we're due decent weather, I throw up my 3x3.
When I'm feeling especially saucy, :yikes: I don't even bother with a tarp.:eek:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The views do suffer with this configuration, but two of the main areas I use suffer from side-wind at times, so I've got used to doing it this way. When I know we're due decent weather, I throw up my 3x3.
When I'm feeling especially saucy, :yikes: I don't even bother with a tarp.:eek:

I played around with a different setup with my 3x4.5m a few trips ago.
After looking at the tarps on hammockforums.net with the fancy doors they use, I tried tying out the two inner points on the long side and then took the two outer in towards the centre and pegged down. It's a bit hard to explain in words so a quick Paint sketch might help ...

tarpwithdoors-1.png

Give it a go next time you're out and see how the doors work for you. It won't be completely sealed but they will help and you'll still get plenty of cover with the big tarp.

Last edited:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I can remember seeing some kind of special clip thingyajig for tarps, but for the life of me can't recall the name. It was made of 2 separate parts. Both were circular, one fitting on the outside of the tarp, the other on the reverse side, securing the outer one, which had a loop of some kind I think, so you could attach guy lines etc. The idea behind them was they held very securely, but didn't need to be permanently attached, and didn't harm the fabric.

Anyone know what these were called? As I'd love to add a couple of extra loops to my XL but don't want to risk messing it up with my sewing skills.. :D

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I can remember seeing some kind of special clip thingyajig for tarps, but for the life of me can't recall the name. It was made of 2 separate parts. Both were circular, one fitting on the outside of the tarp, the other on the reverse side, securing the outer one, which had a loop of some kind I think, so you could attach guy lines etc. The idea behind them was they held very securely, but didn't need to be permanently attached, and didn't harm the fabric.

Anyone know what these were called? As I'd love to add a couple of extra loops to my XL but don't want to risk messing it up with my sewing skills.. :D

Clingons?
http://www.clingons.co.uk/About.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE