DD Hammock question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I currently use a Hennesey Hammock which allows me to sleep in a relaxed foetal positon as I do at home.
Is it possible to adopt that position for sleeping in the new 2008 model ?
Alan

ncarvajal

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2008
UK - Colombia - Norway
Hi Alan,

I cannot speak for the 2008 hammock as I own the 2007 model. However from their website it looks like the actual footprint of material is nigh on identical so draw from my comments what you will.

I am 5'11 and just shy of 15 stone and my build is atheltic and I find that the sides of the hammock encase me so fully it is hard to sleep in anything other than on my back. If you have the hammock very tight and lie diagonally across the hammock as much as possible, you can sleep, at a push, on your side but in my experience there is not enough room for you to bring your legs up and adopt a foetal position. For me this is not a problem as I sleep fine on my back or side without the need to curl up. However, people requiring to adopt other positions might find their evening spent less pleasurable.

These are great hammocks bar the limited range of positions one can lie in them so maybe an idea to give one a go. If you are going to any meets in the new year you can borrow mine.

Also note if you are smaller than me or a contortionist you might find you can sleep curled up just fine!

Hope that helps,
NC

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
In a word Yes.
I use the 2008 version and sleep on both sides and my back,depends how tired I am.
I'm 6 foot four and 19 stone and have no trouble turning in the night or getting a good nights sleep

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Hi,

My daugter has no problem laying on her side but I do not think she curls right up. She is 5ft 3in by the way. I have tried lying on my side but find I just wake up on my back.

The only problem I would see is the cold on your back. If you are inside a sleeping bag there would be cover without the bag being crushed too much. It should not be a big issue therefore.

I would still reccomend a ccf mat with sides to make it really warm but yes it can be done
Hope that helps

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I slept in mine at the weekend and found just as you're saying:

I'm 5'10 and 11 stone, I had a thick ex army roll mat under me which stiffened the hammock up a bit but I still found I couldn't really sleep on my side. I was impressed at how comfortable it was but when I tried laying on my side the sides sort of wrapped around me and I felt a little suffocated. It was slightly better in the foetal position but I was much more comfortable on my back. I did wonder if thicker trees would have helped with this though? Hope that helps mate.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have a HH for myself and 2007 model DD's for the kids. I found that the one time in a DD I had to sleep on my back, but when I did roll on my side the fabric enclosed me tightly.

Not for me I'm afraid, but the kids love em. They are only 8 & 10 years old and when I pull the hammock taught they can sleep in what ever position they like!

Simon

webmuppet

Tenderfoot
I just ordered 2 of these, a Travel for me and Scout for my 10 year old. I'm a terrible sleeper and tend to get all around the bed of an evening so I'm curious if I'll find them comfy.

Is there any way to string the DD out or force it open in some way so that it is flatter and wider and less likely to curl around you?

I have a 2008 dd travel hammock and used to find it restrictive as others have mentioned above but found that if I let it droop more when hanging it is fine and very comfortable allowing me (big bloke) (aka f*t t*at) to sleep on my back or side or wherever with great comfort. I own a wide parachute type hammock too which I can lie diagonally across but have not used this for sleeping in overnight.

HTH

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I find the DD 2007 and 2008 fine for sleeping on my side, back or curled up under my quilt in the middle on a cold winters night ;) and I'm 6'1 and 14-ish stone. I've tried lying diagonally but found it more awkward than pulling the hammock taut and curling up slightly on my side.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE