DD Hammock Multicam Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandbag47

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Whilst doing my yearly DD Hammocks group buy this year. I was chatting with Nick from DD about his MC tarps (MultiCam) as there were plenty of them being ordered. He was telling me that he still has people confusing the old camo tarp with the new MC one.

So I thought I'd use the excuse to put this thread on here.

As you possibly will remember DD brought out a camo tarp a few years ago.
It's camouflage had looked good in and could blend in quite well in the summer time.
Although I was been told by John fenna there is a pattern that keeps repeating.
Which I looked at after and had to agree with, but it still looked good.

Anyway it was selling ok until customers started sending in horror stories of the camo tarps tearing when using to the first loops in from the corners
At the time Nick was baffled why this had happened and the only thing that he could do was cut the offending loops off

Eventually Nick did work out what the problem was.

It was the material that had been used it had less threads in it than it should have done!

So it wasn't the camo tarp itself that was at fault but DD had received the wrong material from the material supplier but it hadn't been easy to spot as looked the same until you zoomed in on the number of threads.
Needless to say said supplier isn't used anymore

Anyway last year after two years and hundreds of hours in designing and testing and making sure the correct material was used he finally brought out the new MC tarp. Which in his own opinion in a million times better than the first camo tarp. And he's not shy in saying how happy he is with with this tarp.

When I had got my 3x3 MC tarp last year that was only the size available.
But later in the year Nick brought out the larger 4.5 x 3 and 4 x 4 tarps as well as the MC Frontline hammock.

As for my opinion on the MC tarp.
Well, I know I can't say I have no link to or I am not biased in DD's favor after nine years of doing group buys and the odd charity bit.
There's bound to be a link of a sorts and yes I am very biased in DD's favor.

But I can't disagree with Nick. I think he has done really well with this MC tarp and I wanted to put a thread up on here last year because I was that impressed by the new MC tarp. But could not think of an excuse to put it up on here at that time.

I think it really does blend in well with the background in summer as well as the winter. And with all the time that DD have spent in the design of the MC tarp I can say it really shows. With it's complex pattern and verity of colours. Which really blend in with the background. And I think even Mr Fenna would have difficulty finding the pattern repeating itself.

Here's Some pics below

Note the old camo tarp on the right

Both tarps together to compare to difference

Daughter in hammock

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Go on then - send me one to review!
I will see if I can spot the repeat - and give it a real bashing .. bashing a basha?
By the way - check the spelling of my name...:)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Yes Nick can send me one too and i will also review it :lmao:first i will review it in the UK repeatedly and later in the year i'll review it's blendability into the Adirondack mountains during the autumn colour changes

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Go on then - send me one to review!
I will see if I can spot the repeat - and give it a real bashing .. bashing a basha?
By the way - check the spelling of my name...:)

there is indeed a repeat in the pattern but it quite a large area before it repeats. looks very good though and I am very temped to get one

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No chance
Changed your name John... but other people have different names for you :)

Ooooh!
You rotter you!:)
I have spotted the repeat anyway - there are about 3 repeats to the length of the tarp - and two between the side and the ridge... :nana:- and it is a much more subtle pattern, so it is looking good!

Last edited:

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Used mine quite a few times now and very pleased with the pattern - it's much more effective than you think. You tend to see straight through it, the tarp disappearing into whatever colour is dominant in the background.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Thank you for the feedback guys,much appreciated.

I have yet to sit staring long enough to see the pattern repeat. I've also sent the question if Nick will do it in a LW version

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I'm kicking myself that i never spent the extra few quid in your last GB to get the MC version of my tarp, literally got enough DD tarps now to set up a camp for about 8 people so i can't currently justify buying anymore, yet :eek:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I really like my MC 4x4 tarp that was from the last GB, never been a huge camo fan before but I intended to use the tarp for some bird watching and a bit of hunting with the size choice being determined by wanting a group shelter application. (I already have a 3x3 plain tarp to cover my hammock) I don't think any wildlife would spot the repeated pattern nor anyone who has not trained in the art of camo' or a very keen insight in the application.

Rob.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I really like my MC 4x4 tarp that was from the last GB, never been a huge camo fan before but I intended to use the tarp for some bird watching and a bit of hunting with the size choice being determined by wanting a group shelter application. (I already have a 3x3 plain tarp to cover my hammock) I don't think any wildlife would spot the repeated pattern nor anyone who has not trained in the art of camo' or a very keen insight in the application.

Rob.

I am none of the above ... just accepting the challenge!
I really like that camo pattern though :)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I think you are in the "very keen insight" category John..you have a very keen eye for detail:)
That is why people take notice of what you write and admire your self made kit.
Rob.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I think you are in the "very keen insight" category John..you have a very keen eye for detail:)
That is why people take notice of what you write and admire your self made kit.
Rob.

Rob don't BIG UP John it will take months to bring him down again.

Did you mean self made kit or self made kit list if things to get :)

Last edited:

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
Would snap one of these up if there was a 4x3 version. Even considering buying one and having a go at modifying it to 4x3.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE