DD camping hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
I bought one of thier camping hammocks recently and a tarp, got on supprisingly well with it last weekend in the woods.

10 y.o. son has been looking it longingly so tonight I rigged them up over the patio for him to try out.

Despite his high as a kite excitement he's already sound asleep. Guess I'm going to have to order one of there 'Scout' versions and find another tarp !

Then ofcourse theres all the Sat afternoon/evenings he'l want to drag me into the woods to use them, which will have to include fires, then cooking rabbits etc, then..... Oh well, hope the wife understands its not all my fault... honest...

Adamm

Feb 27, 2005
Burderop, Wilts
I bought mine for the Wilderness Gathering. Best camping I've ever done - comfy, warm, dry. Highly recommended. I used mine with a Backpacking Light Duo Tarp - also highly recommended as are backpackinglight.co.uk who even included a bag of sweeties and a comprehensive instruction video.

Back to the point though - hammock will now be my first choice for camping over a tent every time. The only problem I can see is in the winter when I won't want to get out of bed!

If you haven't tried it yet you are missing out. A DD hammock is a cheap price to pay for something that could transform your outdoor trips.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I recently bought one and some of my buddies wanted a go (bloomin' bikers) I have since bought 6 more for them and now am looking at buying more still.... I have a hennessey expedition asym and to be honest, I prefer the DD!

The only problem I can see is that trees will be at a premium at future biker rallies:D

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Has any of you experienced problems with the long sides of the DD being to flappy?
When I first tried to sleep in mine, it felt like lying on a long and narrow plank, with the sides flopping about uselessly and offereing no stability.
I had to whip small objects (cut-off piece of a bikes handlebar grip) into the sides to to shorten the sides enough and give me stability.
I have no pics at hand right now, but will post them at the weekend.

I got a copy of RM's ecosleep DVD and I've now modified my DD hammock to set it up the same way as the ecosleep system I can't post any pics of it at the moment, but basically you have a small loop of the suspending tape at each end of the hammock with a metal ring (about 1.5" dia.) attached to the loop. You then have a single length of tape attached to each ring to suspend the hammock. Using Ray's knots, you can then tension the hammock and adjust the height really easily and set it all up pretty quickly. Your suspending tapes end up being about twice as long if you rig it this way, so finding trees the right distance apart isn't so much of a worry. That's one of my main reasons for making the changes. Seems OK so far. Anyone else done this?
Sorry if that's as clear as mud! I'll try to attach some pics when I'm back home.
Cheers,
J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE