DD camping hammock split!

Jan 19, 2012
London
Hellooo. Not sure if this is the right forum or not.
Anyway, I was out with my dd camping hammock the other night, set up in the dark and couldnt be arsed to clear the ground of sticks and stuff. Halfway through the night, I felt a stick poking in my back and didnt do anything about it. I woke up at 5am on my **** after both layers of the hammock having split.
It's obviously something I could have easily avoided, and Im not looking forward to having to shell out another 30 odd quid for another. My main question was whether this might be a quality control issue? I was under the impression that the hammocks were made from ripstop nylon? Im only 80kg, so its not like I was overloading it. The stick could have only made a small hole, and I would have hoped that it might have held out long enough for me to repair it rather than splitting straight away.
What do you think? :confused:

Edit: Also, is repairing the splits possible? They are perhaps 2ft long going accross rather than lengthways. Pics would obviously be useful, but I dont have a camera unfortunately

Last edited:

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
DD are not made from ripstop, a small hole and some pressure is all it takes. i dont think its a quality issue. I have heard from the guys that run comrie croft campsite that this was happening to the hammocks they have set up with people not being careful with keys and such.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Hi trent

Not a good situation.

Remember that as you were sleeping in the hammock you are putting the material under strain. So stick a hole in it and the split will travel - ripstop or not. Also as you move that may have caused the tear to travel.

I have used many hammocks including DD's and have no issue with quality control.

Good luck.

George

Jan 19, 2012
London
Ah right, that makes sense then. Maybe net time ill buy a hammock made from ripstop.
Thought it was probably my fault, but worth a shot I suppose:p

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Dont think ripstop will make a difference. Im 18 st and sleep in a DD camping hammock with no issues and it has signs of wear from my keys and knife. I recently bought a DD travel hammock which has been repaired in the past, after doing eight nights in it i can happily say there hasnt been a problem with it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A 2ft tear is quite a gash, I'm not sure I'd trust it with a repair, you'd have to borrow so much of the good fabric to make it safe that it would be out of shape anyway.

You could just buy some fabric and knock one up yourself if you have access to a sewing machine, there's loads of good DIY instruction on the web for making your own gathered end hammocks.

For the sake of £25 it's probably just as cost effective to buy a new one.

Jan 19, 2012
London
@ redandshane

No need to be sarcy mate. I thought that it was made from ripstop, and not knowing much about fabric, thought that this maybe should have prevented the rip from spreading. Thanks to others helpful replies, I now know otherwise! :)

@ tartanferret

Thanks for the linky. I dunno about shortening it though because that would involve cutting through the zip. Might have to visit my mum and get her to help me out. Would some sort of glue help hold things together before sewing? UHU perhaps?

Jan 19, 2012
London
A 2ft tear is quite a gash, I'm not sure I'd trust it with a repair, you'd have to borrow so much of the good fabric to make it safe that it would be out of shape anyway.

You could just buy some fabric and knock one up yourself if you have access to a sewing machine, there's loads of good DIY instruction on the web for making your own gathered end hammocks.

For the sake of £25 it's probably just as cost effective to buy a new one.

I might end up buying a new one. I always try to cut corners to save money, and end up spending more in the long run!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I might end up buying a new one. I always try to cut corners to save money, and end up spending more in the long run!

Give it a go, it might mend okay. If you've got the machine to do it then it's always worth a try.

Just remember to hang it low the first time you try it :)

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Since I discovered that DD had some problems with their large tarps tearing I've stayed away from their products. I appreciate that many don't have any problems but there an unlucky minority that do. In my opinion you should ditch it and pay extra for a superior one from Hennesy Hammocks or Warbonnets.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE