DD and Snugpak underblankets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

farfoodle

Forager
May 2, 2013
Oxfordshire
I'm looking for an underblanket to use with my hammock, and was wondering if there much difference between the DD and Snugpak underblankets. The seem quite similar in shape, but the DD is about 400g and £50 less than the Snugpak. Do the learned hammockers here have any advice for me on which underblanket I'm better off getting (DD, Snugpak, something else)?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Never tried the snugpak one but i went for the DD purely on pack size and price

my thinking was that the DD is a reasonable pack size for 50 quid.....if i was gonna spend over £100 i may as well have spent a little more and gone for a down quilt

farfoodle

Forager
May 2, 2013
Oxfordshire
Thanks matey. I think I'm leaning towards the DD - cheaper, lighter (albeit slightly less insulating than the Snugpak, probably) - plus it wouldn't have to be stored hung up like a down quilt.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have the DD version, and friends have the Snugpak one. DD more compact, lighter, not as warm. But as long as you pair with a decent sleeping bag, you will most likely find that it is perfectly warm enough to a few degrees below zero (I do).

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
My DD is pretty warm. I only got it recently (less than a week after the GB :rolleyes: ) having always used a thermarest in the past. So i'v not tried it in winter
But i reckon i could easily add something extra in there if i find it too cold

I'v got a heat reflecting blanket i use either to boost up performance on sleeping bags or as a top quilt that i want to try inside the under quilt
Failing that i'll just clip a tiny summer sleeping bag in there if needs be....which would still be around the same weight as a snugpak quilt on its own

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I have both the DD and Snugpak. The DD is a good bit thinner and less insulating but also lighter and more compact. I fit the DD as standard, use the Snugpak when chilly in and out of season and both in Winter!

I may cut some reinforced foil reflective sheet that will slide into either of them and cover my trunk. I can just hem it with gorilla tape and perhaps use sticky velcro, plain velcro and staples to create some fastenings, not that they should be essential.

Just remember that the principle is to maintain maximum loft and to not leave gaps from which trapped warm air can escape. It is all in the set-up.

Obviously the DD makes a good template for cutting and shaping additional layers, just don't use glass fibre! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I may cut some reinforced foil reflective sheet that will slide into either of them and cover my trunk.

Have you actually tried it before mate?

As i say above, its something i want to try but i reckon i'll have to wait till its colder to feel the effect....i had three nights out last week but the underblanket on its own was real toasty so i didnt even bother trying the reflective blanket

I have the Snugpack Underquilt and I love it, its so warm no matter what the season, I haven't tried the DD Underquilt yet so I cant compare them, but I wouldn't be with out my Snugpack Underquilt, I did get the DD Top Quilt from the group buy and that's proving to be fairly good, but I much prefer the Snugpack Top Quilt as it has a closed foot box unlike the DD one which has an elastic cord to cinch the bottom, which seals out most drafts, but not all.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
The DD is very thin compared to the Snugpak.
I have used my snugpak in -10c and was warm, the DD is only rated for about +5c.
If you want to winter hammock the snugpak is worth every penny.

Wandjina

Mar 28, 2015
U.K.
I have a DD underblanket and used it a few months ago at -1 degrees in a DD travel hammock. With closed cell foam mat and a zero degree rated synthetic bag - was warm enough for me. I guess it all depends what the rest of your sleep system is and how light you want to travel!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The DD is very thin compared to the Snugpak.
I have used my snugpak in -10c and was warm, the DD is only rated for about +5c.
If you want to winter hammock the snugpak is worth every penny.

I know ratings dont mean a lot from one manufacturer to the next but DD rate their under blanket to -5 rather than +5

Jan 7, 2016
Dundee, Scotland
Hi guys, newbie here and also considering one of these. I had my first night out in a Hennessey Explorer zip and the Supershelter. About 1am it got to -3 and I was frozen. I did make some other mistakes which contributed but I have lost faith in it so looking to use an underblanket. If I was to use either of those and also the supershelter I'm sure I would be toastie. But which would be the best for on a Hennessey ?
Also toying with a way to fix a 2 season bag to inside the Supershelter but no idea what I'm doing lol.
Any advice would be most appreciated. I am glad I had a baptism of fire and now have a good benchmark but I'm very keen to get back out so need a fix asap.
Cheers guys all the best :)

tom_in_a_Tree

Jun 3, 2017
London
hello forum

I'm also looking at a dd underblanket, but as a new initiate to hammock overnighting, wondered what your rules of thumb might be as regards temperatures.

I think I saw it suggested on the ultimatehang.com that cool air/undercurrents become noticable in a hammock at any temp from 22oc downwards .. I wonder then for UK summer hammock use on warm nights (e.g. 10-15 degrees Celsius) if I might get away without an underblanket (i do have a £5 bit of halfords reflective car windscreen protector!).

What's the max temp you'd risk going out without the underblanket? Or you say just get one and forget any temperature worries ..

thanks very much.
Tom

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
I spent a couple of nights in my hammock last month. Not sure what the temperature got down to, probably around 10*C. The first night I didn't bother with my dd underblanket and although I wasn't cold, I wasn't 100% comfey. The second night I added my underblanket and perfect:sleeping:
I know this is summer use but have yet to use the underblanket at colder times.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm looking for an underblanket to use with my hammock, and was wondering if there much difference between the DD and Snugpak underblankets. The seem quite similar in shape, but the DD is about 400g and £50 less than the Snugpak. Do the learned hammockers here have any advice for me on which underblanket I'm better off getting (DD, Snugpak, something else)?

Firstly I haven't used an underblanket yet. A couple of DDs came up on here for sale, and having had a cold night on a lightweight Multimat in a UK Hammocks Woodsman where the pad shifted around, I looked into them. They have fittings tailored to the DD hammock sides to keep them in place. I'm not a modder, and I also thought they might be a bit thin.

Looked at the Snugpak, seemed a bit of a pain to get right with its attachments. Again, I don't know for sure, but they look like the better of the options if you're not using a DD hammock with its fittings, but the suspension looked more complicated. Again, my disclaimer, I haven't tried one. I had someone on here once try rattling my cage because I didn't actually own the item I was asking about. So, I'm google and YouTube educated only on underquilts. My hammocking is 3 to 7 nights a year, a cold one using a different idea is horrible if it's not working. There were times in the night where my mat had slid so far from under me, but I was too half asleep to get it put right. Logical really, it's a light, small, tapered mat that isn't designed to fit an asym envelope, it just can't. but I'm no way paying a shedload for a mega hammock system, so I'll try the OneTigris. And if that doesn't suit the asym, I'm going back to my Jungle Hammock.

I bought a OneTigris because it was cheap. It's heavier, but not really bulky, but I haven't tried it yet. In honesty, if my big Alpkit mat hadn't failed on me I'd still be using it, but a mat in an envelope beneath does change the natural hammock shape, especially so on the asym diagonal lay. My last night out was with a Fjallraven Distance down bag and the Multimat, I was trying to go really light. I didn't sleep well at all, kept the mat was slipping out from under me. I was out of bed at 7.00, ate an apple and some granola bars, made coffee and left. Ideally I'd have woken much later, done coffee etc, and had another night out.

I'll take some pics of the OneTigris as soon as I use it.

May 27, 2017
Oldham
I have a hennesy hammock and a DD underblanket, I had to add another ridgeline to my hammock so i can clip the carabiners onto it and not worry about cutting into my bug net, once setup I add my reflective sheet inbetween and it just bounces the heat back to me all night long. I would never use a hammock without an underblanket again even in summer. I'd reccomend the DD underblanket just because of the price, it hasnt given me a cold night sleep yet.

North and south carabiners clip onto my hennesy and all the middle carabiners go onto the second ridgeline facing outwards to not damage my bugnet.

I was using the snugpack top quilt but that thing is way too bulky even with the compression sack, so i switched to a lightweight sleeping bag which works great and gives me alot more space in my backpack.

I am going to buy a stuff sack to fit the DD underblanket in as im not a fan of the compression sack it comes in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE