DC3 or 4 - worth the money?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!

I've been wanting to get a sharpening somethingorother specifically for carrying around with me at all times (I've finally bought a UK legal Opinel, so I'll have an EDC again after however many years!) and I was wondering - DC3 or 4, are they worth it? I begrudge spending £10-15 on something that won't be my "main" system, but if they work reasonably, I won't complain. I use secondary microbevels, so I won't be fussing around trying to get it to lay flat, so that problems kinda moot. I daresay I'd use the ceramic much more than the diamond...

Any advice would be appreciated!

Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Cheers :D Just how fine is the ceramic side, and how fast does it cut? Getting a fine edge when I have some cutting to do is one thing that drives me up the wall, so that would be a major selling point for me...

Pete

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you can get yourself to the Crannog next weekend, you can borrow mine and there'll be folks there happy to show and tell with theirs.

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Get the 4 Pete, the 3 is too small imho

I have one in my pack for overnighters but I don't carry it the rest of the time as I can always wait until I get home to repair any nicks.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I bought the DC4 about 4 years ago, as a secondary sharpener to have with me, just as you intend.
In all honesty it has really become my main sharpener, used most of the time, with the larger stones only used every so often for a really serious re-sharpen. I've even used it for re-dressing metal working lathe tools at work.
I heartily recommend it.

Dave

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I've got the DC4 and find it a brilliant stone.

At the moment it's my main sharpening system until I get myself a waterstone.

same here. I went for the bigger one, as it's more comfy to work with.

One day, when I have the cash, I'll get some waterstomes and Arkensas stones etc. But for now, my tools are sharp 'cos of my DC4.

Mike

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yes it is worth the cash in short, go for the DC4 though as the 3 is a little small :)

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Another thing you might be interested in is the Spyderco 303MF. This is a ceramic stone in 2 grits - both quite fine. I use mone for touching up my knife through a day of heavy use, not removig lots of metal, just retaining a good edge. The DC4 or 3 is a lot coarser and so cuts quicker.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
whelp i'm sold on the dc4 never mind Draven ;)
anybody got any tips for sharpening an opinel no.7?
i know how to grind my Mora but wasnt sure on the opinel?

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
Another thing you might be interested in is the Spyderco 303MF. This is a ceramic stone in 2 grits - both quite fine. I use mone for touching up my knife through a day of heavy use, not removig lots of metal, just retaining a good edge. The DC4 or 3 is a lot coarser and so cuts quicker.

+1 for the Spyderco Doublestuff. Excellent kit with 800 grit (same as the diamond on the DC3/4 but less aggressive) on one side and 1200 grit on the other and 1x5x1/4" so much larger working space in a portable dual grit ceramic stone.

DMT also has a Diafold with dual sharpening surfaces, (equivalent to the DC3/4) is ceramic (2200 grit) / extra fine (1200 grit) or extra fine (1200 grit) / extra extra fine (8000 grit) which is about 4 3/8" x 3/4", overall open length is 9 1/2", closed is 5" and very very light weight with a small footprint in your pocket or pack.

I use both of these sharpening tools and recommend them highly.:headbang:

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Thanks for all the replies :D

Toddy - Thank you for the offer :) I feel bad for having to turn down another meet but that is unfortunately my girlfriend's last weekend before going on a holiday (without me :cussing: :rolleyes: ) so I'm afraid not :eek:

Shewie/Dwardo - Yeah, I was thinking the DC3 may be a bit small, I've a pocket-stone the same size which isn't really much use...

MartiniDave - that does sound rather good :cool: What do you think of the arkansas stones? One thing I was considering was getting the self-adhesive diamond sharpener and sticking that to my sheath and carrying an arkansas stone for finer work, but I'm not sure if it would cut fast enough for my liking..

malente - In my very humble opinion, working through all the waterstones til you get a mirror polish is usually overrated for all but the fine woodcarving tools, so I wouldn't rush it if you're getting along fine now :)

Treemonk/Native justice - Not so sure about the Spyderco one, as one of the reasons the DC3/4 interested me was the fast cutting, but the DMT one sounds alright... might take a look, but 5" closed I'm not sure if I'd like it for EDC.

Melonfish - Me too I reckon :D

Pete

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Pete,

My large bench stones are Japannese Waterstones, from Axminster Powertools, (no connection etc.etc.), not Arkansas stones. I do have a very fine Arkansas pocket stone, but in truth it's not seen a lot of use since I got the DC4. That said, I must dig it out and compare the two.

Dave

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
You'll find similarities in the DC4 ceramic and Arkansas Black Surgical (2000 - 4000 grit) or Translucent stones (2000 - 4000 grit) (perhaps even a very fine quality White Hard Arkansas at 1000 -1200 grit as well but not typically).`but most "fine" grit ceramic gives a polish or "scratch pattern" that is between 800 and 2200 grit. Compared to a ceramic mirror finish, most Arkansas of this grade will give you a "smoky or fog" finish which many actually prefer which translates into a better "edge bite" on carbon steel blades; stainless it's pretty much hit or miss with Arkansas stones (they are for the most part ineffective).

Just a bit more useless trivia I'd thought I'd share with you (owner of 7 Arkansas stones). ;)

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
MartiniDave - sorry mate not sure where I got Arkansas from :eek:

Native Justice - cheers mate, interesting :D I wouldn't mind getting an Arkansas benchstone, my dad was always fond of them and I do prefer the satin finish on a primary bevel to polished (scratches in polished blades tend to look a bit nasty!). I admit, though, to using diamond sharpeners for all but the last legs of sharpening the primary, so I'm not sure if it would be the wisest of investments...

Pete

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
Hello. Would the DC4 be suitable to sharpen my Gransfors mini hatchet as well as my mora clipper or should I buy the axe stone too ...

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I have used a DC4 to gently re touch my Wildlife Hatchet, but my god you have to be careful of your fingers. An axe stone is much better for in the field, but I prefer bench stones, securely placed on a solid surface, for major resharpening.

Dave

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Howdy folks!

I've been wanting to get a sharpening somethingorother specifically for carrying around with me at all times...............
Any advice would be appreciated!

Pete

Field stones are like insurance, excess to requirements until you need them, then they are well worth the money.
In this context! A good blade holds an edge for a long time, even being out and about for a week you would be hard pushed to 'need' to sharpen a blade in the field. Even if the edge gets nicked it can still be used in a safe manner. If the entire edge were damaged then yes it would need emergency field dressing until you could get home and re-dress on larger gear.

Field stones were originally used by folks working in the field....farmers, military etc
For recreational purposes it is a great sales ploy...a field stone is not really an essential item.
Think about it, if you were told your blade was good enough for say 15 sessions (3 times a day for 5 days) then would need sharpening, would you have bought it in the first place....!

Last sharpened mine 4 months ago, use it every week (Recreational), it is still razor sharp. Appreciate it is different for folks who use blades as a tool, daily, in connection with work.

And yes a DC3 is in my pack just in case, better to have and not need.....but have not needed to use it in the field yet.....

Regards

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE