Dc 3 / 4 stone problems rectified?

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I've just been reading an old thread about the poor quality of Fallkniven DC3 / DC4 sharpening stones.

As they seemed popular i thought i might ask santa to bring me one :christmas1:, however the quality issues have given me cause for concern.

Does anyone know if the problems have been rectified?

Do certain retailers stock better quality versions?

Is there much of a difference between the two models? i realise the size thing, i'm just wondering if the DC4 is easier to use and worth the extra £5 ?

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
From memory people were complaining about the course and fine parts of the sharpener becoming dettached from each other. It turned out that this was infact an option of the stone and not a fault, you simply glue the 2 sides together on delivery.

I have had both a DC3 and DC4 for many years and never had a problem.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I have both the DC's and the Spyderco and I find myself using the Spyderco more often. If forced to chose: Spyderco double

Haha: I didn't know the detaching was a 'feature', sound almost like all the bugs in software we experience, like 'no sir, that's a feature...'

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Its not the separation of the layers i'm too worried about.

Its more the problem of the stone needing bedding in due to ridges ruining the edge.

apparantly they had been left with manufacturing scars

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A friend purchased one recently against my advice and it was the same as my last one. The ceramic side was very "chippy" and rough, the diamond side was just as bad with the diamond coating peeling at the edges and after a hard workout it seemed to be wearing fast. I am still using my one from an age ago even if the ceramic side has a big split in it.

Just my experience.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
TBH I think that they're a bit expensive for what they are. Many tool sellers will have something that will do the job for quite a lot less money. It's worth checking out the five pound sharpening kit thread etc too, you can do quite a lot with a bit of emery paper and a block of wood.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I got one last year and it's shoddy crap. The ceraminc side is concave and covered in blade damaging lumps, fallkniven custoemr services were also terrible.

I'm not sure if they've bothered to amke usable stones lately but try asking www.heinne.com for one and ask them if them can inspect the stone for problems.

I've been reccomended the sypderco double stuff too, I will get one eventually but I'm a bit skint atm!

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have several DC3/4 stones and found them fine but I did get mine about 2 years ago. The ceramic side on all of the them has ridges and I flattened one of them on a diamond bench stone but left the others.

Steve.

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
I've had 3 DC4s over the last 6 or 7 years and they've got worse with each one. I've defected to a Spyderco Double stuff now which I think is better than the DC4 ever was.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I think the ceramic side being a bit rough can be forgiven some as they can be smoothed if needed. Yes they should come smooth to start with. The diamond side actually coming away from the sub structure is not good and bluntly should not happen and I would be not happy if this had happened on any of mine.

Steve.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
that new gritty ceramic style is new to me, mine is the brown ceramic one. maybe it was changed because they could no longer be botherd to finished the older brown ceramic properly and just went with a cheap grey substitute.

How long before other decent companies cut corners and end up producing rubbish?

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
I bought a Dc4 from Heinnie which split apart within days, they replaced it straight away the new one did the same I'm just going to aeraldite this one myself.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I don't like the look of the new ones.

I have an old type that did split apart but easily glued back together.

if I was looking for another I'd opt for the Spydie doublestuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE