Day Walking - Cold and Wet Gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like ponchos. Think of them the way the Boy Scouts Handbook used to refer to wearing them; "it's like being inside a moving tent."

Problem is, do you want to be inside a moving tent (alone) when walking with your lady? A good coat will be less segregating and the less flapping in the wind will be less distracting to the conversation.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Tried a few poncho's and so far i'm not impressed, i found a half decent Goretex jacket easier to live with and handled sweat a lot better.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
have you had a look at Ridgeline clothing, i've never worn anything by them so cant recommend their stuff. Uttingsoutdoors.com sell their clothes along with other makes of course. You Might pick up some boots there too.

thehomeofDob

Jun 14, 2010
Dublin, Ire
I'm getting some great ideas from this thread. For boots, I'm looking at either the German Para Boots (cheap) or the Meindl Vakuum GTX (expensive, but cheaper from Ebay.de). I can't seem to find a good place to get the Para Boots. They're first on my list as Poncho/Umbrella combo will do for the immediate rain.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I'm getting some great ideas from this thread. For boots, I'm looking at either the German Para Boots (cheap) or the Meindl Vakuum GTX (expensive, but cheaper from Ebay.de). I can't seem to find a good place to get the Para Boots. They're first on my list as Poncho/Umbrella combo will do for the immediate rain.

German para boots are an excellent choice, rugged, really comfy & quality built .....they are heavy though at a kilo a boot :D.......be careful of the sizes as some vendors have no idea how to convert them. Careful of the widths too which range from 99mm (very narrow ) to 120mm (very wide)....always ask the vendor to give you the 2 sets of numbers perferated on the tongue lining. (the first is the size & the second the width) if buying online. If you want any help you only have to ask here. ;)
When buying from eBay Germany don't forget to add on the hefty P&P:)

Word of warning, never buy a NEW pair of the MK 4 (2000 MODEL) 'cause they're all crap copies.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Given your type of walking do you need boots at all? More and more hikers are switching over to good trainers/assault shoes.

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
I don't think you sound too badly equipped at all. I'm not a big fan of ponchos, as I find they tend to flap about (ideal for sitting under during brew stops though). German Para boots are good, but I wouldn't consider buying online as there's nothing worse than ill fitting boots.

As to waterproofs, there's plenty of choice out there. A cheaper option may be military surplus (if you don't mind green/camo) I've got an old US Goretex jacket that hasn't let me down yet and only cost about £25.

thehomeofDob

Jun 14, 2010
Dublin, Ire
Given your type of walking do you need boots at all? More and more hikers are switching over to good trainers/assault shoes.

I have used walking shoes for the past few years, however I'm tired of wet feet. Especially camping, by the first night my shoes are soaked and I'm in sandals for the rest of the camp! :p I think I'll trial the Para boots first, as they're not that expensive. Also by next year, myself and my regular camping partner hope to move away from our regular haunts which are 500+/- metres from the car to places further afield. I'll need decent boots for that.

I don't think you sound too badly equipped at all. I'm not a big fan of ponchos, as I find they tend to flap about (ideal for sitting under during brew stops though). German Para boots are good, but I wouldn't consider buying online as there's nothing worse than ill fitting boots.

As to waterproofs, there's plenty of choice out there. A cheaper option may be military surplus (if you don't mind green/camo) I've got an old US Goretex jacket that hasn't let me down yet and only cost about £25.

I've no problem with surplus, not in the least. If there are recommended dealers / jackets I'd certainly take a look at them. Not mad into the "looking good" business when out on the trail, fit and function over look any day.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
There is a lot of helpful, good sense here. I'm a Paramo fan now, but I've owned a lot of top layers over the years. Pesonally, I've always gone for the best top layer, which is usually the most expensive, but I only own one outer coat at a time, with a cheapo as back-up. I hope you get a bit more advice on boots. I'm still looking for genuine all round footwear that will be at home on the hill and in the wet. "Walking Wellies" may be what we need in the UK- but which?

One piece of useful advice I picked up was, "Buy what you need, not what you wish you needed," If only I'd listened!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE